PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0621 Bandsaw - New Model

David Wambolt
01-12-2007, 12:06 AM
I was about to buy a G0514X bandsaw but saw Grizzly put up the G0621 Vertical Wood and Metal Cutting Bandsaw. Now I do both metal work and wood work, having a bandsaw that would do both in my shop is ideal. I have an Ellis 1600 Horizontal metal cutting bandsaw (awesome saw) but it's vertical capabilities are pretty limited due to the saws design. It works okay for small parts but if you want to trim a larger sheet metal piece or longer stock, it will hit the throat of the saw.

The things that sort of catch my attention in a good way is the VFD control, T-Slots, Quick blade tension release, universal for wood/metal and blade size range. However the guides seem sort of cheap, the 2-1/2" dust port, no resaw fence and the low horsepower rating of 1-1/4hp. I can't say I plan on resawing a ton of stock, but you never know. I'm just not sure which direction I should go. I have been looking at Wilton's and Delta's combination saws and then this one just popped up. If it had 2hp and better guides, I'd jump on it tonight.

Thoughts? I'm a vertical bandsaw newbie. :)

PS: They also added the G0555X 14" Extreme bandsaw today.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Dave....if you buy it...I'd be careful about using the dustport with a DC system.....Hot metal chips into a dc could start a fire.......I'm not sure about it ...but I would be concerned....

David Wambolt
01-12-2007, 12:44 AM
10-4. DC + Metal Work = NO NO. I would only use DC when doing wood work, though on a bandsaw the chips do not get that hot due to the slow blade speed. Still, wise advise.

Ron Brese
01-12-2007, 9:00 AM
Chips collected from carbon steel and sucked into wood dust and shavings could actually start a fire on it's own whether a spark was sucked in or not, espescially of a bit of moisture is present. I could be wrong about this but it bears investigating.

Ron

Jim Becker
01-12-2007, 9:04 AM
I'm not sure I'd be really comfortable working both wood and metal on the same machine, primarily due to the mess and lubricants that are involved for metal work. I'm even leary of using my drill press for metal work if I can avoid it!

JayStPeter
01-12-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure I'd be really comfortable working both wood and metal on the same machine, primarily due to the mess and lubricants that are involved for metal work. I'm even leary of using my drill press for metal work if I can avoid it!

Jim,
Check out Bolube. Works good for metal on the DP without the big mess, a little goes a long way. I have learned to take off my WWing table though as little shards of metal get imbedded into the surface. It should also be good for the bandsaw, but I haven't used my BS for steel ... yet. People make a cut into the container and use that to lube the blades. It's a little hard to find, but worth the effort. A buddy bought me a tube after he saw a smoky mess in my shop.

David,
I have thought about putting a 3PH motor w/VFD on my G0513 to slow it down for the occasional metal cut. I saw that new Grizzly BS and thought the same things as you.