PDA

View Full Version : New drill press

Brian Keith
01-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Im in the market for a new dp,floor model. Looking to spend $300. I looked at a Pioneer at local Western Tool. Pioneer is their brand, 13" for $199. Does anyone have experience with this brand or can recommend one in this price range? Thanks

chris fox
01-12-2007, 12:49 AM
I purchased a Grizzly G7944. I nice DP for $250 and with shipping probably gets you right at $350. My only complaint is the depth guage.

hope this helps

Brian Keith
01-12-2007, 10:41 PM
That Grizzly is one that Im looking at, also the Delta 17-765. I know the Delta is bigger and more $ but is one I can get locally and not have to order like the Grizzly. Any info would be great. Thanks

Brian Keith
01-13-2007, 1:52 AM
Any info would help, I need to replace my old press with a new one.

Don Stanley
01-13-2007, 2:43 AM
Any info would help, I need to replace my old press with a new one.

If at all possible, try before you buy! Not all drill presses are the same, even it is the same model number. Look for a 17" drill press, with a long spindle travel (at least 4). If you find a display model that you can operate, you will be able to verify how well it works; how smooth the spindle works, and if there is any vibration. I've never used a laser system on a drill press! That would be very low on my priority list. The number of speeds is not as important as the speed range; very low, and as high as possible.

Last, but not least, is there a quill lock? You will find them on old iron, and more expensive machines. The Delta 17-965 has one, but this a $400 drill press. I consider this a big plus for drill press. I use mine all the time.

Hope this helps with your decision -- just my $.02 worth.

-Don

Brian Keith
01-13-2007, 11:51 AM
woodworking for me is only a few hours a night so I consider it a hobby. I dont need a high end machine. These Pioneer dp are made in the same plant as the Jets are from what Ive been told. 13" is on sale $199 16" $249. Both do have a rod style lock which I like.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Brian....Which ever drill press you get....one of the things you want to look at is the quill travel distance.....I just bought one with 4 1/2" travel....because my old one with 2" of quill travel would drill through a 2 1/8" piece that I have to do regularly...

Scott Rebello
01-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Have you considered a vintage machine?? Picked up an old Delta-Rockwell 15 inch with a 1/2 hp American motor for $60. Have seen quite a few on CL. Might take a little longer to find the right one. Just another option. Agree with the travel distance. Had a bench top with just over 2" and the 15" has right about 4 1/2". Make life a little easier. Good luck. Scott