PDA

View Full Version : Bugs !!!!!!!!!

Dan Kraft
01-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Hello I am new here. Dont get a lot of woodworking done but hope to have more time someday. My question is about 3 years ago I bought all the lumber from a local sawyers estate. Probably in the range of 5000-7000 board ft. I initially used quite a little oak on a remoldel on my house. When using the oak I noticed that some of it had some places in it almost like trails of powder not all but some of it did. At that time I never noticed it on anything but the oak. Today my father planed about 12 walnut board that were about 12 inches by 8 ft. long. Of the 12 3 of them had what looked like the same thing. This is the first time I have seen that on any of the walnut. All of this wood is probably been milled for at least 10 if not more than 20 years ago. Could there be something living in it eating it up? If so what could I do about it. Thanks

Mitchell Andrus
01-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Throw a tent over the lot and fumigate.

Kristian Wild
01-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Sounds like Powder Post Beetle. Fumeigation may be your only option to prevent further damage. I don't know of any alternatives, maybe someone else here does.

Kyle Kraft
01-12-2007, 9:06 AM
I've heard using a boric acid solution will take care of them. You get to soak all your lumber down with water!! :(

Bonnie Campbell
01-12-2007, 9:36 AM
If you have Bengal brand roach spray try that on the boards. It'll kill anything and leaves a residue that kill off future bugs also. Just make SURE you wear a respirator when working with the wood during and after spraying.

Martin Lutz
01-12-2007, 3:51 PM
I would suggest doing a search on this sight for Power post beetles. There are several methods to get rid of them. Heating to 120 degrees for >24 hours is one. good luck.