PDA

View Full Version : Kuster 24" double drum sander?

Charles McKinley
11-19-2003, 6:04 PM
Hello all,

Does anyone have one of these units? What quality are they? What price range should it be in for a used unit?

Thanks

Chuck

Rob Russell
11-19-2003, 6:47 PM
I walked away from a 37”, dual drum 7.5HP Kuster sander a year or so ago. I got feedback from a poster on Badger Pond who had previously owned one of the Kusters and said that it was the most aggravating machine he’d ever owned.

It’s old technology. The dust collection sucks, or – rather – it doesn’t. The pulleys are mis-sized for the power, so you could stall the machine too easily, with a 6” board. On the machine I looked at, the pulleys needed to be replaced to deal with the power transfer issue, the shroud needed to be upgraded to provide reasonable dust collection, the feed speed is single speed and needed to be upgraded to variable speed, the table would need realignment after transport and the stock feed belt needed to be replaced.

The machine was at a local dealer who takes stuff in on trade and, like this machine, on consignment. As I remember, the price was around $2000. I put in a lowball offer, taking into account all the stuff I needed to do to it. The seller came back with a price that I felt was ridiculous, so I walked away from it. As I remember, the machinery dealer allowed that the machine was a dog and he regretted the time he’d put into it.

I decided that I was better off with a new, wide belt sander. The wide belts leave a better finish than the straight drum sanders and can double as a grit remover for dirty rough stock. It will cost more, but do a better job. Besides that, the blue of the Kuster doesn't match the green of my new stuff :rolleyes:.

I'd pretty much decided on one of the 15" open-end widebelts, but am rethinking that to consider 25" closed-end sander. I've got time to decide. Purchase of a widebelt is on hold until I’m ready for it. SWMBO sez that’d better be this spring :D . I’ve got other machinery to finish getting setup and tuned, and stock to start milling before I’m ready to sand anything.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Charles McKinley
11-19-2003, 10:07 PM
Hi Rob,

Thank you for the input. It sounds like you are in the same boat I am in. I need to finish setting up some project machines so I can start some projects. The last ting I need is to spend money on something that is going to cause me a lot of problems and cost me as much as a new machine to get it running decently.

If anyone is interested it is listed on ebay for $450. It ends Thursday evening. it is located in eastern PA and must be picked up.

I have no relation to the seller.

Thanks again,