PDA

View Full Version : Incra Jig Ultra users...

Kelly C. Hanna
01-11-2007, 7:49 PM
I got one of these recently and no matter how much I read about it, I can't seem to fathom how they did what they did with the jig back in 2001 at the Woodworker's show in Mesquite, TX.

The guy that was demo-ing it was routing one dovetail, unlocking the fence, slapping it to the next setting [read until it stopped like a slapstick shifter in a hot rod] and locking it down for the next cut all within a second.

The guy was doing the double dovetails where the center of it is contrasting wood. He was so fast he had all four sides of a box done in less than five minutes. I really like those joints, but fail to see how my jig will do that. I have unlocked and moved the carriage witha template in it but there are no positive stops to be found.

So am I nuts? Did I see another Incra jig demo'ed that no longer exists?
Is there an optional piece I am missing? :cool:

Chris Rosenberger
01-11-2007, 8:16 PM
Kelly,
There are no positive stops. There are templates that show were to lock the jig for each cut. Those guys always make everything look easy. But that is all they do. The Incra jig does work nice & if you use it every day for months you will be able to work as fast as that guy did.

Dave Fifield
01-11-2007, 8:48 PM
Yep, those Incra sales guys make it look real easy! It actually is, once you take the time to learn the technique. Like Chris says, there's no actual stops, but once you've practiced enough, you can move the fence and lock in the next marked position very fast indeed. I found the MOST critical thing was finding the center of the board accurately. It's hard to get this exactly right, but it needs to be spot-on if your tails/doves are to fit together so that the top and bottom of the box/drawer/whatever are co-planar.

Ken Garlock
01-11-2007, 9:39 PM
Kelly, go over to the WoodPecker website and look for their video on making dovetails. It is a new video (http://www.woodpeck.com/accessories.html#86), the first in over 4 years. The double dovetail method is shown also.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Hmmm...sounds like the wrong deal for me. I want something to use every once in awhile, not very often as in the demo guys. I think I need to get a dedicated dovetail jig instead.

Thanks for the heads up guys!

Guy Germaine
01-12-2007, 4:26 AM
You're right in that the positioner does not have positive stops. Once you slide the template into the jig and get it adjusted, you simply release the lever, slide the fence to the next mark on the template and lock the fence into place again.

It looks a lot more complicated than it really is. The instruction manual that comes with it is very good. Get yourself some scrap. Start with a simple box joint. Lay the book next to you and follow along, step by step. DON'T just read the manual and expect to understand it. I did the same thing when I got mine. I sat in my kitchen with the book and a cup of coffee and read the whole thing, and just didn't "get it". Use the book and follow along with it as you make the cuts. Once you make 2 or 3 box joints, you'll understand how it all works, and you'll find it very accurate, and a pleasure to use. Dovetails, and even the double dovetails are merely variations of the box joint "theme". I've had mine for almost a year, and I still use the manual when I make the box and dovetail joints. Like the others have said, they guys at the shows sit there day after day, doing the same thing, so it IS easy for them. They have it all memorized.

Believe it or not, this was actually my third attempt at doing double dovetails. I practiced making 2 others on some scrap.
http://www.fototime.com/F5489190AE7F933/standard.jpg

Don't give up on it.

Dave Fifield
01-12-2007, 5:50 AM
Nice looking box Guy! Is the figured wood in the lid solid, a veneer, or an inlay?

I've had my Incra for several years and never gotten round to doing the double joint thing yet! Maybe it's time.....

Guy Germaine
01-12-2007, 6:14 AM
The figured wood is Tiger Maple veneer. Give the double-dovetail a shot. It's not as hard as it looks. Besides, they're fun to make! If you haven't done it yet, also try making through dovetail with it. It's all done with the same bit! When you read the instructions, you think how the heck can you make through dovetails without using a straight bit, but you can, and they as good as any done with a regular DT jig.

Chris Rosenberger
01-12-2007, 8:22 AM
Hmmm...sounds like the wrong deal for me. I want something to use every once in awhile, not very often as in the demo guys. I think I need to get a dedicated dovetail jig instead.

Thanks for the heads up guys!

Kelly you do not have to use the jig every day to be able to cut good dovetails. To be able to use it as fast as the guy doing the demo does take alot of time workng with the jig. I only use mine every once in a while. I just do not try to use it like the demo guy. Give the Inca jig a chance.

Brent Gatlin
01-12-2007, 9:57 AM
Hey guy's, I am new to the site and just wanted to say hello.

JayStPeter
01-12-2007, 9:57 AM
I'll agree with Chris. The jig has positive stops every 1/32". You just need to line up the cursor right and the thing will lock down right where you need to cut. The thing to be careful of with the Incra is that you view the cursor from the same position each time you lock it down to avoid paralax and come up 1/32 off. I only use mine (was Incra, now Jointech) a couple times a year as a joint making jig. But, I can do a pretty quick job of it. The instructions for both jigs are good enough that if you've done it in the past, just a quick glance at the pics reminds you what you have to do.
On the other hand, the Incra is really a small item making jig. It gets real sketchy when doing larger drawers. So, a dedicated dt jig might be what you're looking for anyway.

Aaron Koehl
01-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Welcome, Brent

John Keane
01-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Kelly, don't quit the Incra just yet. Buy the CD or tape from Woodpecker. Play it and try it. I have two Incra systems and wouldn't be without them. Learning and using the system takes a little time. After several iterations you will get comfortable with it. Making a box in five minutes doesn't impress me. Dovetails that fit does impress me. It takes me a little longer to make the dovetails. Maybe ten minutes instead of five. Once the system is set up, I can crank out dovetail drawers all day that are rock solid. You can too.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Wow....that's a beatiful piece of work Guy!!! I think I will keep the Incra and get the video.

I also want to do blanket chests from time to time so I was a little concerned about the unweildy sides going on the router table, hence the idea to get a DT jig. Has anyone here made blanket chests using this system?

Thanks for the heads up on the view of the cursor, I would have never thought of that until it was too late.