PDA

View Full Version : metel tags

Seth Gecko
01-11-2007, 3:52 PM
Good morning,

We make plastic tags for industry, and have had some customers that would like to have metal tags i.e. push button tags and other machine id tags...
What i would like to do is to produce or purchase these, metal tags for our customers, is just picking some your brains, on what and how to engrave on metal tags? I know that I can buy tags but what do I do about different irregular sizes.

thanks

Brodie Goozee
01-11-2007, 4:17 PM
There is a laser engraver called the Versa Laser http://www.ulsinc.com/versalaser/english/index.html which etches rather than engraves. It is very simple to use and cuts plastice, wood, etc but etches on metal and stone. It is not 'that' expensive if you get use out of it and for small commercial runs, ideal. I have seen it working and have been very impressed.

Kind regards

Brodie

Vicky Orsini
01-11-2007, 5:14 PM
Actually, any laser engraver has the capability to mark metal - a variety of materials, actually. However, to mark bare metal (as opposed to anodized), you'll also need an etching material like CerMark or TherMark.

If your customers are requesting custom shaped metal tags, you can talk to a local machine shop to see if they'll let you buy a custom die and then charge you to run it on their machine. You could also check e-bay for a seller named "Chewbarka" to see if he can set you up with a custom shape. If you're looking at different-sized metal rectangles, an engraver's metal shear should be ok (as long as the metal isn't thicker than engraver's trophy plate).