PDA

View Full Version : Holy Gingerbread my wallet is on fire

Jeff Yates
01-11-2007, 2:53 PM
Ok, I believe y'all...

I thought I would be able to get away with finding some deals...well even with deals...wham, I started feeling heat in my back pocket...

Lathe, talon chuck, turning tools, pen kits and pieces to make pens, etc..etc..etc...

Well I had to flip up the lid of the toilet and put my butt in there to keep the heat down...

Laugh...but I bet I have fun!

Mark Pruitt
01-11-2007, 2:56 PM
Bachman Turner Overdrive is playing in my head.....

"B-b-b-b-b-Baby you just ain't seen n-n-nuthin' yet!!!"

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2007, 3:28 PM
Jeff........Once you learn how to ride that bevel.............It's as close to instant gratification as you will find!........The inmates here shoved me into the vortex about this time last year. I managed to put off turning for another month. I got tired of their whining so I started turning........My shop is maybe 10 days of work from being completely finished......It was this time last year too!..........I'll get to it some day.....In the mean time....I'm turning and smiling!

Welcome to the Vortex!.......If you try to hang on to a dollar too long and hard....it'll suck the ink right of the bill!

John Hart
01-11-2007, 3:29 PM
Turner: Ya know what Hun, I just realized that I can't turn anything bigger than a 6" bowl with this chuck. I need a SuperNova II.:)

Spouse: Are the bills up to date?:confused:

Turner: Well....yeah...sorta....I mean, some of them can wait til next pay day.;)

Spouse: Hmmmm. What about groceries? How much do we have for groceries this week?:(

Turner: Well, If I get the SuperNova, we can eat Ramen Noodles for a few days, or a week. That oughta offset any of the costs.:o

Spouse: I don't think you are hearing me right now.:mad:

Turner: hmmm...what Hun?...I'm sorry....What did you say? Hey look! For just $10 more, I can get this really cool hollowing bit...And that takes me over the minimum so now I can get FREE SHIPPING!!! See Hun? I'm saving money already. And I figure I can sell these bowls for a fortune! We'll be in the money! Yes sir eee!!:D

(Sound of Door Slamming)

Turner: Hun? Where'd ya go? :confused: ....Hmm...I better get these things on order.:)

Bill Boehme
01-11-2007, 3:30 PM
You Ain't Spent Nothing Yet

I met a devil lathe, it took my heart away
Creekers said I had it comin' to me, but I wanted it that way
I think that any wood is good wood
And so I took what I could charge, mmm
Oooh, oooh, the salesman looked at me with big brown eyes
And said

You ain't spent nothin' yet
B-B-B-Baby, you just ain't spent nothin' yet
Here's something else that you need to get

And now I'm feelin' better, 'cause I found out for sure
I took myself to ‘da Creekers and they told me of a cure
D’ey said that any wood is good wood
So I took what I could get, yes, I took what I could charge
Oooh, and the salesman looked at me with big brown eyes
And said

Here's something, here's something else that you've gotta get
You need educated

Any wood is good wood
And then, and then, and then the salesman looked at me with big brown eyes
And said

Baby, you just ain't spent nothin' yet
Here's something, here's something,
here's something, bubba, you've gotta get
B-B-B-Baby, you just ain't spent nu-nu-nu-nothin' yet
You ain't been round ‘n round and yet

I know I ain't spent nothin' yet
Baby, Baby, Baby

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2007, 3:32 PM
BIll............Have you been into Hoyt's Moxie?......Again?.....:D

Christopher K. Hartley
01-11-2007, 4:11 PM
BIll............Have you been into Hoyt's Moxie?......Again?.....:D Ya know Ken, I've been watching Bill pretty close since he started really jumping in the middle of this spiny stuff. I've gat'a say I don't think he's had a Moxie clean day since he got here. If ya ask me he is Andy Jr. in training. I just haven't figured out where he comes in on the ice cream issue yet. But Ken, olé buddy, I think you hit it on the head with your bonker!!!:eek: :eek: :D :D :p

We'll know the truth of it if he starts holding air raid drills and mobilizing troops to hit the trenches.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-11-2007, 4:13 PM
Ok, I believe y'all...

I thought I would be able to get away with finding some deals...well even with deals...wham, I started feeling heat in my back pocket...

Lathe, talon chuck, turning tools, pen kits and pieces to make pens, etc..etc..etc...

Well I had to flip up the lid of the toilet and put my butt in there to keep the heat down...

Laugh...but I bet I have fun!Jeffy boy, if there is still heat in the back pocket then that means there is fuel for the fire. Worry when it goes cold!!!:eek: :eek:

Jeff Yates
01-11-2007, 4:56 PM
Laugh...

If I didn't know any better I'ld say there were some characters 'roun these parts.

It just shocks me how quickly these gadgets and doo dads pile up...Hmmmmmm, I better find a forest to cut down...LOL

Mark Pruitt
01-11-2007, 5:02 PM
You Ain't Spent Nothing Yet

I met a devil lathe, it took my heart away
Creekers said I had it comin' to me, but I wanted it that way
I think that any wood is good wood
And so I took what I could charge, mmm
Oooh, oooh, the salesman looked at me with big brown eyes
And said

Here's something else that you need to get

And now I'm feelin' better, 'cause I found out for sure
I took myself to ‘da Creekers and they told me of a cure
D’ey said that any wood is good wood
Oooh, and the salesman looked at me with big brown eyes
And said

Here's something, here's something else that you've gotta get
You need educated

Any wood is good wood
And then, and then, and then the salesman looked at me with big brown eyes
And said

Baby, you just ain't spent nothin' yet
Here's something, here's something,
here's something, bubba, you've gotta get
B-B-B-Baby, you just ain't spent nu-nu-nu-nothin' yet
You ain't been round ‘n round and yet

Baby, Baby, Baby
OMG....ROFLOL!!! THAT'S PRICELESS!:p :p :p

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2007, 5:04 PM
Mark....I don't know what you're laughing at.....that's a reality song.......

Robert McGowen
01-11-2007, 5:51 PM
If this post could be deleted, I would appreciate it. My wife thinks lathes appreciate in value, that ALL wood is probably free, and that I surely must sell things for 100's of dollars since I spend so much time making them.........

I have to go now....I hear footsteps....:rolleyes:

Jason Anders
01-11-2007, 6:06 PM
Long time lurker, short time poster :cool:. I've had a cheapo $100 lathe for like two years just waiting and saving up to buy some chisels to actually use the darn thing. It's been a hard sell to the wife, until we recently paid off all of our debts but her overpriced Tahoe. Turners talk about a vortex, this thing is a black hole big time. There is so much stuff to spend money on and of course its all neccessary I try to explain to the wife ;) Well this Christmas season I've been able to splurge for some Sorby's, a PSI chuck, some pen stuff, and a few other odds and ends. Been planting the notion already with the wife I'm gonna need a bigger/better lathe in the near future. Seems I've spent lots more money than turning but there's just something special about about taking a square peg and making it fit the round hole -so to speak. I've been bitten bad and sucked down the vortex :D

Jeff Yates
01-11-2007, 6:22 PM
See, that's what worries me..

*laugh*

I don't have a wife, but I did just work the last two years to live my life debt free. Cars are paid off, I rent, so that's not an issue right now, and I cut up my credit cards...no more living on credit. I'll finance my house, that's it...

But I just took a chunk out of my savings...*laugh*, and I'm doing my best to keep from digging further into them to get new toys n' gadgets...

Ohhh, I need a bigger bandsaw, better tools...hey, look that one does swirlies...and so on, so forth and all that jazz...

Laugh, I'm trying to settle in with what I have, and I know, I know, taking a logical approach to woodturning is no way to go...but I gotta try...

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2007, 6:27 PM
Logic lasts about 3 nanoseconds or......through your first bonker......then it's all burned up.......If you stay at it long enough and start consuming Moxie....you'll end up looking and acting like the "H Brothers"........Hoyt and Hart.....

Rich Stewart
01-11-2007, 8:49 PM
Jeff,

YOU DID WHAT TO YOUR CREDIT CARDS? Why would you do something like that? How are you going to take advantage of sales at Rockler, Lee valley, Penn State, Hartville? Do they even take cash? How could you do something that lame brained? All you had to do was sign your name. Pay a little each month to keep them happy and you could have anything you want or need. And NO WIFE to tell you no? OMG!! You were living a dream. What would possess you to cut up the credit cards?

Rich

John Hart
01-11-2007, 9:22 PM
....What would possess you to cut up the credit cards?

I agree. What are you thinking man? I mean...that's just insane!!!

By the way....what is "Savings"?:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2007, 9:28 PM
I agree. What are you thinking man? I mean...that's just insane!!!

By the way....what is "Savings"?:confused:

John....as in your other response......the $10 off the $400 hollowing rig that you saved by getting free shipping.....And of course, you couldn't have taken advantage of the savings without using your credit card....And as luck would have it......You were still $396 from the max limit on the unpaid balance from last month!:D

John Hart
01-11-2007, 9:40 PM
Oh...I see. So when Jeff says that he took a chunk out of his savings to buy tools, it's just like when I delay making a payment on my credit card...then only make a minimum payment when the creditor calls my house....then I take all that money I saved and buy a lathe!!!;) I get it now!!:)

Bill Boehme
01-11-2007, 9:41 PM
Ya know Ken, I've been watching Bill pretty close since he started really jumping in the middle of this spiny stuff. I've gat'a say I don't think he's had a Moxie clean day since he got here. If ya ask me he is Andy Jr. in training. I just haven't figured out where he comes in on the ice cream issue yet. But Ken, olé buddy, I think you hit it on the head with your bonker!!!:eek: :eek: :D :D :p

We'll know the truth of it if he starts holding air raid drills and mobilizing troops to hit the trenches.

OK guys, ……. I need your help ……… you gotta’ talk me down. Andy didn’t warn me about the psychedelic effects of Moxie. But, I’m goin’ clean startin’ now ……. or just as soon as my stock is depleted ….. and also the Moxie that is on back order. But …….. after that ……….. it’s only pure Dr. Pepper and Blue Bell ice cream for me.

It musta’ been a real bad trip, man ………. everything looks different now. I went back and read the posts all over again ………. “Gingerbread?” …….. “wallet?” ……… man, I must have really tripped.

Somebody straighten out my head ……… surely there are not a bunch of hidden costs in woodturning that dwarf the cost of a lathe …… are there? Maybe I just need a teenie shot of Moxie to stead my nerves.

We all need to rally together to support Jeff, guys. I know that he didn’t really mean to cut up his credit cards. Somebody give him a shot of Moxie – just enough to calm his nerves.

"AIR RAID!!"

Bill on-the-wagon

Rich Stewart
01-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Cut up the credit cards? You're really freakin' me out man.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Ken to stockbroker:.....Quick buy as much Moxie stock as my 401K will allow........yeah...sell the blue chips....cash in the bonds.........Buy as much Moxie stock as you can!........

And for Andy.....gouge....skew......wood.....round....turn .....

Bernie Weishapl
01-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Ken, Ken you are going way to fast!!!:eek: What is 401K, savings, stocks, bonds, etc, etc, etc. :confused: I think I had some of those a year or so ago before the lathe but am not sure.:( I think that was way back when I had coffee money and ice cream money. I think.:eek:

Dale Gregory
01-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Jeff, I know the feeling. Being a new midi lathe owner myself, I never realized that the lathe was going to be the inexpensive part of the hobby! I've already spend over twice that on tools, chucks, ginders, jigs, sanders, dust control and I've only got the basics covered. As the song goes......."Mama told me not to come"........and now the Creekers got the hold on me and won't let go!

Dale

Don Orr
01-12-2007, 12:23 PM
I spent almost all my inheritance to build a new workshop just to play with woodturning! I'm not a pro or full time but I do manage to sell something once in a while. Fortunately, I have a day job so I get more money every 2 weeks. ( I think today is payday!) Sure I use the shop to do other things like-gasp-flat work, but mostly its for turning. Guess it keeps me off the streets and out of the bars.
Wood turning is kind of a paradox. Addictive, sucking vortex that eats time and money, but at the same time very theraputic. I guess I can live with a theraputic addiction.

Heading to a woodworking show in MA tomorrow to liberate a few $$$!!! Gotta feed the addiction:eek: ,