PDA

View Full Version : The Blue Spruce Chisels

Mark Singer
01-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Dave Jeske , from Oregon is making some great chisels...I haven't used these yet , but I will. Not probably ideal as your first set , or your only set, but what a great set for dovetails...The hornbeam chisel is a LN for scale

Jim Becker
01-11-2007, 12:43 PM
They look really nice, Mark. I can see what you mean about dovetail work with the side angles as they are, especially on the two smallest sizes.

James Mittlefehldt
01-11-2007, 2:07 PM
I have been considering getting the smallest one for dovetail work and the pictures sure do make them look desirable, now is that a need or a want, hmm.

Michael Gibbons
01-11-2007, 2:17 PM
now is that a need or a want, hmm.

Does it really matter?

Brian Hale
01-11-2007, 4:19 PM
You're not going to beat on them with a mallet are you????? :rolleyes:

Very nice looking chisels Mark!

Brian :)

Derek Cohen
01-11-2007, 7:09 PM
Mark

They are nice! Your post must have crossed with mine since I did not see this till later. I have also just received a set, mine in African Blackwood. What is the wood used with your set?

Here is the Blackwood. I had considered Ebony but Dave noted that this is very brittle, so he selected out the darker Blackwood pieces.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/IMG_2149.jpg

Thanks for using the LN for scale. I have not used them and so did not have any idea of their size. The LN look quite small (too small for my liking) - especially as the BS are only just a handfull themselves.

For another contrast, I have been using re-handled Berg paring chisels. The handles I made are as long as Japanese paring chisels. In the following image you can see a bunch of standard Japanese bench chisels on the left. To the right of that section is a lone Japanese paring chisel. In the lower side of the cabinet door are the re-handled Bergs (1/8" - 1 1/4").

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/IMG_2145.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mark Singer
01-11-2007, 8:04 PM
Derek,
Mine are cocabola...French polished I think....the thinness of the shaft is great! I think I just ran out of excuses for cutting perfect doves....if its not the tool it must be me:rolleyes:

I really the the smaller scale and often grab the steel to get more control

Derek Cohen
01-11-2007, 9:09 PM
Mark

I think the cocobola has a wonderful warmth. And yeah - neither of us have any excuses now!

Isn't timing everthing?! No sooner than I say that the scale of the LN surprized me because I had not seen/used one, than a full length Stanley 750 was delivered to my door by the postman. Comparing the Stanley/LN handle with the BS made me even happier I went with the BS.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brent Smith
01-11-2007, 9:36 PM
Hi Guys,

I've had the LN's for a couple of years and the BS's for a few months now. Haven't touched the LN's since. There's nothing wrong with them, they are great chisels, but the BS's just feel so much better in hand. Weight and balance just make working with them a real treat.

Mark Singer
01-12-2007, 8:27 AM
Brent ,
are you using the Blue Spruce as multi purpose bench chisels or are they kept just for fine joinery like dovetails..?

Brent Smith
01-12-2007, 2:38 PM
Hi Mark,

I use the Blue Spruce for joinery only. I have several other sets of chisels for other work. When I bought the LNs, they were for joinery also, and did a fine job (with the exception of the occasional handle comming loose). I think both are great chisels and are fine examples of the tool, but the BS's just feel better in my hand and that leads to better control through the cut.

Ken Werner
01-13-2007, 7:16 PM
Pardon me while I drool on those pictures.

Ken

Don Bullock
01-13-2007, 7:51 PM
Pardon me while I drool on those pictures.

Ken

I'm with you Ken.

Mark, I'm sure you will enjoy them. I'm looking forward to seeing the first project that you use them on.

Mark Singer
01-13-2007, 8:37 PM
The chisels are even nicer in person! The wood is incredible... The first project is coming up soon...The Kim bed has 2 drawers and I will use the Blue Spruce chisels on the dovetails...I am thinking half blinds...maybe wolfs tooth or an arching pattern I came up with and have done in the past... The chisels are really perfect and I have a selection of fine saws so ...I think I will have fun..:confused: