PDA

View Full Version : New Home Shop in Winter

Joe Pelonio
01-11-2007, 10:51 AM
This early morning view from the shop window sure beats the heck out of the beige walls at the old place. We had 8" of snow last night, now it's 27 this morning, so I'm waiting a while before going out to do a few deliveries and installations.

Also, here's what the new shop truck looked like last night 1/2 hour after I got back from some errands and barely made it up the hill in 4wd.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Joe.........Beautiful scenery....how will you ever get anythng done?

I wished you'd kept that weather over on the coast......we are starting to get it now.......

Joe Pelonio
01-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Joe.........Beautiful scenery....how will you ever get anythng done?

I wished you'd kept that weather over on the coast......we are starting to get it now.......
Yeh, I keep looking out today, can't help it. Hate to pollute the air with the smell of cutting acrylic today, especially with everyone staying home due to the icy roads.

That storm will hopefully lose some of it's power by the time it reaches you. We have freeway exits closed due to the abandoned cars from last night blocking them.

Leigh Costello
01-11-2007, 1:37 PM
Cool View Joe! Love to see snow - just not in my yard!

Vicky Orsini
01-11-2007, 1:52 PM
So nice to hear of other people getting the snow for once. :D You beat us, though. We only got about 5 inches. That is a very pretty view you have there. ;)

Phyllis Meyer
01-11-2007, 4:37 PM
Beautiful! Here we sit in Northern Wisconsin and we have no snow. It's going to be 37 today. I guess we are getting a cold snap on Sunday. We have a nephew that runs an ice-fishing tournament here and they are just praying for more cold weather!

We are going up to Michigan skiing tomorrow, ok, I'm going to read and drink cappacino in the lodge:) My husband loves to ski and we have one Daughter home with boyfriend and other 20 somethings that will come along for the day. We just enjoy being with the kids!

Your new location working good Joe? Looks fantastic!

Sincerely,

Phyllis

Joe Pelonio
01-11-2007, 4:49 PM
Beautiful! Here we sit in Northern Wisconsin and we have no snow. It's going to be 37 today. I guess we are getting a cold snap on Sunday. We have a nephew that runs an ice-fishing tournament here and they are just praying for more cold weather!

Your new location working good Joe? Looks fantastic!

Sincerely,

Phyllis
It works well except days like today when I'm supposed to make deliveries. I did just did go down to the shipping place (1 mile) to send out a few things, UPS won't do a pickup here today. The first two blocks were nasty even with 4WD, after that the roads were OK but littered with cars parked on both sides helter skelter, blocking lanes. You'd think if someone abandoned their car last night they'd go get it out of the way after that road thawed, even if they cant get it all the way back home. Anyway, on the way back up the curve on the last hill was really bad. Sunny and 31, so water on snow on ice. Made it though. Tomorrow I'll try to get those deliveries done.

Dave Fifield
01-11-2007, 7:13 PM
Nice view Joe - so THAT'S what snow looks like! ;)

It's nice to look at from afar IMO, but I don't miss it one bit.

Barbara Buhse
01-11-2007, 7:21 PM
would I be spoiling the party if I told you that last Saturday night I was in Times Square (NYC) and was NOT wearing a jacket, it was 70 degrees out? If you've seen January, please return it to the east coast, thanks!
I wouldn't mind seeing some of that snow... (only a little though)

Frank Corker
01-11-2007, 8:10 PM
Here in the UK the weather has been everything except the snow ( I don't include sun as we don't get any ) the winds have been gusting here about 70mph rain has been battering away for the last two days. I'm seriously considering not flying my kite in this weather any more!

Joe, that weather looks pretty but like all beauty, it's skin deep. Still with that new super-duper home shop of yours, there won't be much in the way of cold stopping you. The only problem now is convincing wifey that she needs to do all of the shopping on her own to save you getting out there! :D

Joe Pelonio
01-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Nice view Joe - so THAT'S what snow looks like! ;)

It's nice to look at from afar IMO, but I don't miss it one bit.

As I recall, Dave, you get a little up on Mt. Hamilton once in a while.

Joe Pelonio
01-11-2007, 10:45 PM
The only problem now is convincing wifey that she needs to do all of the shopping on her own to save you getting out there! :D
There's one additional benefit from the home shop, I can come up here in the evening after dinner and go online in peace and quiet. But eventually I do have to leave to pick up materials or deliver things too big for UPS. Like tomorrow. It's now 24, Frank, and all the snow that melted some in the afternoon is already hard as a rock. Yes, for all the beauty of the snow
there's the ugly part too. These people and the hundreds of others that abandoned their cars last night face a minimum tow charge of $136, and some blocking roads will also have tickets to pay.

Frank Corker
01-12-2007, 6:41 AM
Yep, that is a nightmare, well at least it's melted. (Better not be because of your exhaust system for the laser or we are all in trouble)

Dave Fifield
01-12-2007, 7:56 AM
As I recall, Dave, you get a little up on Mt. Hamilton once in a while.

True, and it's very pretty to look at from down here in the valley in the sunshine! It doesn't last long though. My teen son and his friends went up to play in it one year. All they could manage was a slush fight though :)

Joe Pelonio
01-12-2007, 8:35 AM
Yep, that is a nightmare, well at least it's melted. (Better not be because of your exhaust system for the laser or we are all in trouble)
I was actually a little worried yesterday cutting acrylic, since all the neighbors stayed home, but then they probably kept their windows closed with a high of 31. This morning it's 16F here so any melted snow/slush is once again ice.
Yesterday there was a short window of opportunity to get out of here and back, 11am-2pm when the sun was high, but I don't know if we'll be able to get down the hills today at all. At the local shopping center the snow holds in the water as it melts so there were deep puddles, this morning that's going to be like a skating rink.

John Esberg
01-12-2007, 8:58 AM
would I be spoiling the party if I told you that last Saturday night I was in Times Square (NYC) and was NOT wearing a jacket, it was 70 degrees out? If you've seen January, please return it to the east coast, thanks!
I wouldn't mind seeing some of that snow... (only a little though)
Sorry Barbara, but a lot of poeple up here in NY would like to keep this weather just the way it is right now. I say no snow! :D So does my wife and most of the people I work with these days.

On another note, the warmer weather keeps my heat expenses lower while running the laser. When I'm making floor inlays and running my equipment for hours and hours solid, my gas bill sky rockets. It makes me wish I was living back south again. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised at all with moving everything to AZ or somewhere in that vacinity by the end of 2007. Actually I'd count on it.

On-on!

DAK

Barbara Buhse
01-13-2007, 9:51 PM
ok John, sorry about the wish for snow... you're a little further north than me, you'll get it much worse if we get any at all... at least we have the ocean to keep it a little milder around here.
I just want it to look pretty for maybe 2 hours, then melt and go away...