PDA

View Full Version : Drum sander and counting chickens prior to hatching

Julio Navarro
01-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Well, I had a something of a pleasant surprise the other day.

Let me give you a little back ground.

Leaving for work one morning I saw one of my neighbors had put out as trash a metal work bench that look in great shape (if you see my shop tour its next to my welder) and it had all kinds of junk in it that, being a pack trat, I didnt throw out. Well, I got curious and startred looking inside as I was organizing after the move and wanted to store my paints in there.

There was lots of junk, old car parts, screws, an old fuel pump for a civic and a very curious looking peice of hardware. I took it out and it was heavy as all heck. It had a logo that said "Kwik-lathe" come to find out its a break rotor lathe that attaches to the car to reface the break discs. I looked in *bay and they sell for almost $2,000 dollars!http://familywoodworking.org/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif This one is somewhat used but still very very functional.

so I have begun to count my chickes before even laying my eggs.

Am thinking I could sell it on *bay and use the money for a drum sander. Which brings me to the name of this post...which drum sander would you recommend?

Brad Hammond
01-11-2007, 11:46 AM
julio, i've got the 18" delta. i've had the same problem that others have had. sometimes the table binds and the belt skips, making the table uneven. when i was looking at buying a drum sander, it seemed that this was a prob with jet and delta both. i think i went for the delta because they were throwing a $75 discount or something on amazon. i've had it for about 2 yrs. except for the table problem i like it. i'm just a little careful with the table.
search around, there's pro's and con's for both.
cya!

Jim Becker
01-11-2007, 12:19 PM
'Very pleased with the Performax 22-44 Plus here...and nice find in the back corners of that building!

Jeffrey Makiel
01-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Julio...I can't offer any suggestions regarding a new drum sander. But, if I send you my disc brakes, can you cut them for me?
-Jeff :)

Jim Hager
01-11-2007, 1:21 PM
I can't tell you which one to buy but I have had 4 drum sanders so that should tell you I know at least 2 that are not good enough to buy. I now have a General International 25" dual drum sander that I really like and work the dickens out of it. I had a Delta 18-36 that was also a good sander but it wouldn't keep up with my pace so I sold it.

Most important for a drum sander purchase is to examine the paper holding clamps to make sure they are substantial enough to hold the paper properly or to buy one with hook and loop. You can also add hook and loop to your sander after the purchase. I had to add it to the General. It seems like it cost me about $1400 about 3 1/2 years ago. I got it from http://www.utterguys.com/xcart/product.php?productid=34750&cat=594&page=1

Mike Cutler
01-11-2007, 2:02 PM
I'd buy the biggest(HP) dual drum sander that you can afford and power up in your shop.
I have the Performax 16-32, but that General that Jim referred too is looking really nice to me.

Mike Hollingsworth
01-11-2007, 2:49 PM
I had a performax 16/32
didn't like it, burned the paper
upgraded to a 22/44 single drum Performax
upgraded to a 24 double drum Performax
upgraded to a 17" open ended oscillating wide belt sander
no more burned paper

If I could do it over I'd buy Grizzly's 18" wide belt with a motor for elevation.
My back gets tired bending over to elevate

Congratulations on your big score
Mike

Stuart Johnson
01-11-2007, 3:24 PM
I just purchased a Woodmaster 2675 and it is built like a tank. I haven't given it a real work out yet but the little I have is great.

Richard Keller
01-11-2007, 9:05 PM
I had a performax 16/32
upgraded to a 22/44 single drum Performax
upgraded to a 24 double drum Performax
upgraded to a 17" open ended oscillating wide belt sander
no more burned paper

If I could do it over I'd buy Grizzly's 18" wide belt with a motor for elevation.
My back gets tired bending over to elevate

Congratulations on your big score
Mike

A common problem with not just Performax, but all thickness sanders. I have the 16-32 and am VERY happy with it. I can tell you from experience that the problem is NOT the sander, but most likely the paper. Klingspore is the brand that comes on the sander (though labeled Performax) and it is JUNK (Sorry). I switched to VSM (twice as thick) and have no problems. Also, proper dust collection is a MUST. I have a 1HP on mine, direct connected with 3 feet of hose, and have no problems at all.

Richard.

Jerry Todd
01-11-2007, 9:26 PM
I have had the Woodmaster drum sander for almost four years now and love it. My fellow woodworkers love it also. Wish I had an hour meter on it as it gets a work out. It's always a good time when they bring their wood to my shop to sand.
Woodmaster will give you the names of other owners in your area so you can do your own investigating.
Their service is great. When I received mine the motor was not working properly. Called them and they sent a replacement right away. Have not had a problem since. Can't ask for better than that.
Jerry

Mac Cambra
01-11-2007, 9:39 PM
I picked up the Grizzly dual drum 24" with 5HP motor and it works very well. I switched to hook and loop simplifies things. What I learned along the way was not to take too aggressive cuts. With a 5HP motor aggressive cuts resulted in torn paper and project work pieces being shot across the garage. I bet the burnt paper was the result of cutting to aggressively.

By the way I picked up mine for $800 which I thought was a pretty good deal I think. If I had bought new the General dual drum would have been my choice.

Julio Navarro
01-12-2007, 9:14 AM
although I would love to get a Woodmaster it would cost more than all my tools combined so far.

Keep in mind I want to build small boxes, I dont expect anything wider than 12". I would consider Grizzely's baby drum sander or probably look into Grizzelys' larger sanders.

I am no pro by any streatch of the imagination, not yeet anyway.

Having said that: There are two Grizzely drum sanders, the G1079 and the G1079R. One has a conveyer one doesnt. Price is the same...which one?

The Grizzly line of sanders in the G1079 catagory is more my speed and price range. What other brands are equal in price and performance?

Michael McCoy
01-12-2007, 9:33 AM
I switched to VSM (twice as thick) and have no problems.

Richard.

Richard - what's your source for the VSM product? Their website didn't look like they did retail.

Don Orr
01-12-2007, 9:57 AM
Love my 16-32. Got it used from a friends wife after he died. He had some alignment problems originally, but by the time I got it he had worked them all out. Mine works great as long as I don't try to take too much off. I also got the special tool that helps hold the clamp next to the motor open when changing paper. Makes a huge difference! I had to make an adapter for dust collection, but the new ones come with 4" ports I believe.

Carroll Courtney
01-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Go w/ the 18" griz, I have the 24" and love it. Change to the hook& Loop.Front drum install 80grit and on the back install 120 grit.Will need a good vac attach to it and take lite passes. Good Luck w/your purchase Carroll

Kelly C. Hanna
01-12-2007, 12:26 PM
I love what some people think is trash....getting harder to find these days with fleabay around but it's very cool when you do. Congrats on the super find!!

Before the advent of fleabays' big days, Jana used to find books at garage sales for $.50-$1 that would sell for over $100!!

Once I got a hold of a potters wheel and I thought it was worthless due to age and condition. We plugged it in and it worked fine. Jana looked it up and we sold it for $450 to a guy in Arkansas. He drove to Dallas from Little Rock to get it.

Mike Mortenson
01-13-2007, 9:04 PM
I have done alot of research on the net and talking to people. I am either going with a Woodmaster 38" or a Steel City drum sander. I am going to KC to look at both during the woodworking show