PDA

View Full Version : 89-1/2 in bandsaw blades for my Craftsman

Tim Malyszko
01-11-2007, 9:07 AM
The 2 sources I've come across for off the shelf bandsaw blades for the 12" Sears Bandsaw has been Sears and the Olson All Pro Band Saw Blade. I've been using the stock blade since purchasing the saw and really need to replace it. I'm looking at purchasing a 1/4" 6 TPI blade for everyday work and a 1/2" 3 TPI blade for resawing.

Since I've never used the Olson blades, how do they perform? Also, is there any other source out there that sells 89-1/2" bandsaw blades that do not need to be custom made?

Thanks.

Marcus Carr
01-11-2007, 9:29 AM
I just purchased the same saw and am also interested in the answer to this. Most of the people I have talked to buy their blades from Suffolk Machinery.

Marcus

Jamie Buxton
01-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Custom-length bandsaw blades are so common that they are price competitive with prebuilt ones. For instance, Woodworkers Supply (www.woodworker.com) would make your 89 1/2" length, and charge about $15 for each of your blades.

Eric Sabo
01-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Woodcraft also offers custom length timberwolf blades, which are some of the more recommended blades from what I've been reading. Still researching my Bandsaw purchase, so as I've said before, my experience is through others eyes for the time being.

Jim Becker
01-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Timberwolf can be ordered direct from Suffolk (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com) (the manufacturer) in the exact length your saw requires. They don't ask you for the length...they ask you which saw and what kind of cutting you want to do.

Charles McKinley
01-11-2007, 2:55 PM
Look in the phone book for woodworking equipment dealers and saw sharpening shops. Saw sales in Butler, PA for those in the area makes custom length blades.

Greg Narozniak
01-12-2007, 8:31 AM
Timberwolf can be ordered direct from Suffolk (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com) (the manufacturer) in the exact length your saw requires. They don't ask you for the length...they ask you which saw and what kind of cutting you want to do.

Ditto to what jim said, they made my blades for my Grizzly a 1/2" shorter. They are great to deal with.

John Strait
01-12-2007, 10:01 AM
I buy all my blades from WoodcraftBands dot com. Never used Timberwolfs and see no reason to with the Lenox blades he sells. Just a satisfied customer.

Tim Malyszko
01-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Ditto to what jim said, they made my blades for my Grizzly a 1/2" shorter. They are great to deal with.

Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call today and get some blades on order.

My wife discovered some holes in here wool sweaters yesterday so I now have a priority request from her to line our closet with cedar. I'll need to rip approximately 150 BF of cedar in the very near future to create 3/4" thick tongue and groove paneling

While its not an exciting job, I have to keep her happy so she turns the other way when new jigs and benchtop equipment just "appear" in my shop.;)

Tim Malyszko
01-15-2007, 11:50 AM
I ordered 2 blades this morning - one 1/4" 10T blade for general purpose work and one 1/2" 3T blade for resawing. The total cost was less than $40, which included shipping and I will have them by Friday.

Suffolk (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/) was very easy to deal with and made sure I was buying the right blade for the job.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Tim Malyszko
01-22-2007, 12:16 PM
The Timberwolf blades arrived on Friday as Suffolk promised and I used the 1/4" blade this weekend to cut the curves on the blanket chest base I'm currently building.

The blade performed very well and made clean-up work extremely easy since I was able to stay so close to the template line while cutting with the bandsaw. I made a few passes with the Spindle Sander and the base was ready for glue-up and final sanding.

With the stock blades, I could only get witin about 1/8" of the template line; otherwise, getting any closer would often result in the blade cutting on the wrong side of the line. The new blade allowed me to cut right up to the line.

Thanks for passing along the info and the new blades were well worth the money.