PDA

View Full Version : Flattening an old, warped workbench?

Eli Gunnell
01-11-2007, 1:55 AM
First time post here from a real novice! I have been "lurking" for a couple of weeks, and I am in awe of some of the stuff I've seen on here. It's pretty inspiring.

Just to get started by spending next to nothing, I bought a really old, warped, cheap workbench a couple of months ago. I am sure it was a real cheapie even when new, but it had been sitting outside, was stained, dirty, moldy and warped. I believe the wood is beech. It's a small bench, about 5 feet long.

I've been working on resurfacing it by hand. I am using a LN low-angle jack plane and I've also got a LN scrub on the way (very much looking forward to that). I am using a carpenter's square to check for flatness, and there are some larger hump areas that I'm trying to plane down.

Never having undertaken this before, here is the question: Do I stand a decent chance of getting the benchtop flat with the tools I have, or will I need a jointer plane? Any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Tyler Howell
01-11-2007, 8:22 AM
Welcome Eli,
For something old, cheap and in bad shape I would hesitate to use my good planes on the top.
Many times dirt, rocks, and nails in the top will really mess up a nice blade (DAMHIKT:o ).
If it is salvagable, brush it real good with a wire brush, inspect for nails and then plane.
Can you take it apart and rebuild??
Do a seach on Winding Sticks. It is a tool you can make yourself to check for flatness

Louis Bois
01-11-2007, 8:23 AM
Welcome to the Creek Eli!

Though a #7 would help a bit, it's not absolutely necessary.

Rather than rehash what others have already written, here's a link to a workbench archive page that has many essays on building benches, including the flattening stage. Lots of information here. Try doing a google search with "flattening a workbench"...this yielded some great results as well.

http://www.geocities.com/plybench/bench.html

Good luck bringing it back to service!!!

Cheers,

p.s. Tyler's advice is highly recommended...make sure the top is free of detritus before you put a sharp blade to it.