PDA

View Full Version : New TS

Travis Lavallee
01-11-2007, 1:16 AM
I just recieved my Steel City 35618 cabinet saw today and have one question. After completely assembling it and making all the adjustments I can not get the cursor on the fence to line up with the correct measurement on the guide rail. It still shows about 1/2" too much on the tape at the best adjustment setting. I have loosened the rail and moved it as far over as I can. Could there be something simple I am missing, or could the factory just have put the tape that far off?

(pictures will follow when I have time tomorrow)

glenn bradley
01-11-2007, 1:34 AM
You have cabinet mounted trunnions. I had also set up my Orion saw and adjusted everything only to discover that the trunnions were out of line. Same symptom, cursor would not line up even at the extreme point of adjustment. Loosen the retaining screws tht hold the top (not the trunnion screws) and slide the top into the correct position. Readjust for square and your set.

Joe Mioux
01-11-2007, 4:21 AM
or...if your ruler is taped down, replace your ruler to the correct setting.

glenn bradley
01-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Travis, a side note. A giveaway that the table top needs adjusting is that the blade throat clearance is odd. This become more apparent when your blade is beveled 45*.

Jim Becker
01-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I had to replace the original tape on my cabinet saw back when it was new due to both a bubble in the application and it being off about 1/4". Lee Valley has the stick-on tapes if you cannot get a replacement from the vendor.

Matt Day
01-11-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure about your saw, but my Vega Fence has a metal adhesive backed tape on it that I can move and reuse. I did however buy an adhesive backed tape from Lee Valley before I knew I could move it:rolleyes:

Travis Lavallee
01-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Here are the pics. I ended up moving the tape over, because I tried to shift the top over but it didn't get far enough. The blade was already lined up pretty good WRT the throuat plate.

glenn bradley
01-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Great pics. Glad the fix was painless. Congrats!