PDA

View Full Version : The beginning of my 3rd segmented bowl

Bill Wyko
01-10-2007, 6:55 PM
Here's the beginning of my 3rd segmented bowl. It will be over 300 peices. The center ring alone has 132 peices. but heres the beginning. Also here's my lathe and in addition here's how close I get before I square up the 1/2 rings. Most of the techniques I use I got from a book about Ray Allen. I'm waiting on a few more books from Malcom Tibbetts and a few others as well.

Bill Wyko
01-10-2007, 8:23 PM
Heres a pic of the some of the segments before they were cleaned up and cut to size. The other pic is after glue up but before clean up. There will also be more rings between the one you see there. Hopefully I can get a chance to work on it tonight.:D

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2007, 8:50 PM
Bill, cool process! I've yet to turn a segmented anything but love the looks of some of the forms that have been posted lately. Keep us up to date with photos of your process - I am sure there are many more like me who one day will want to attempt a segmented form. Thanks!

Rob Nolan
01-10-2007, 8:50 PM
Looks great so far ... can wait to see the finished result! I picked up Malcoms book last week ... real interesting stuff ... lots o work ... but enjoyable ... well it looks it anyway.

Looking forward to you finishing it up!

Interesting stand for your jet mini!

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Bill, you're doing great. I'm sure non-segmenters enjoy seeing the process. Just a suggestion, you should treat your sanding disc as any other "cutting" tool. The extractives from the kingwood have sure made a mess of your disc. The only preventive measure against destroying a disc is to make sure your miters are very close to perfect so you only have to barely sand the end grain (especially with oily woods). I also keep one of those big rubber erasers near my disc sander and I clean the disc frequently, which seems to lengthen the life of the disc.

Brodie Brickey
01-11-2007, 12:09 AM
Bill,

Its looking great. I just don't seem to have that kind of patience. I'll do staved designs but I'm still shying away from segmented. Maybe some day as I re-evaluate the amount of small scraps that I have around the shop.

Don Fuss
01-11-2007, 8:16 AM
Bill, that is coming along great. It looks absolutely awesome so far, and I'm anxiously awaiting the finished turning. Very inspiring.

Mark Pruitt
01-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Bill, when you dove in you went head first with a vengeance!:cool: This should turn out to be an outstanding vessel. As a "not-yet-segmenter," I have lots of questions, some of which will undoubtedly be cleared up as I continue to read. (I have the Ray Allen book but other things have required my attention; still I've browsed it and the stuff is first-rate.) One question has to do with flattening the rings. Is this best done by a drum sanding machine (e.g. the Laguna Beach Vase video that's been running on The Woodworking Channel) or some other method?

Bill Wyko
01-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Bill, you're doing great. I'm sure non-segmenters enjoy seeing the process. Just a suggestion, you should treat your sanding disc as any other "cutting" tool. The extractives from the kingwood have sure made a mess of your disc. The only preventive measure against destroying a disc is to make sure your miters are very close to perfect so you only have to barely sand the end grain (especially with oily woods). I also keep one of those big rubber erasers near my disc sander and I clean the disc frequently, which seems to lengthen the life of the disc.
Yes I found out the hard way that the disc loaded up very quick. It also burned the edge of one peice which showed up when I started turning. The other thing that happened with the dirty disc was that it did'nt make a flat mating surface so I had to re do one of the rings. I also realized that when you lign up rings it's very important to be dead center other wise one side will have the seams line up and the other side will be slightly out of alignment. This has been quite a learning process but every time I find out what I did incorrect It makes me look foreward to the next one I make.:D I'm going to Wood Workers this morning to pick up some discs and a hollowing tool. See you all soon.
P.S. Thanks for the advice Malcom and thanks to everyone for the compliments. I'll put up more pics asap.:D

Bob Opsitos
01-11-2007, 12:24 PM
One question has to do with flattening the rings. Is this best done by a drum sanding machine (e.g. the Laguna Beach Vase video that's been running on The Woodworking Channel) or some other method?

Drum sander is the easiest, I've used the big Delta one. Double sided taped them to a peice of MDF, run through till flat, flip rings...done.

However the first seg'd turning I did I flattened the rings with a low angle block blade. Works but tedious.

Bob

Bill Wyko
01-11-2007, 1:06 PM
Thats what I use. I have a JET 22-44 drum sander and it makes the job a peice of cake. The other way is to put it on your lathe and use a big sanding block on the end. I use 3'M red double sided tape to hold my bowl to a block. It's nice because when I remove the bowl the tape comes off w/o leaving anything stuck to the wood.:D
On another subject. I just found the most beautiful peice of Bocote I've ever seen. I put up some pics later. That will be my next turning.:o

Bill Wyko
01-11-2007, 6:17 PM
Looks great so far ... can wait to see the finished result! I picked up Malcoms book last week ... real interesting stuff ... lots o work ... but enjoyable ... well it looks it anyway.

Looking forward to you finishing it up!

Interesting stand for your jet mini!
The stand is a peice from Delta. It's nice because you grab 2 levers and lift and the lathe comes right off and will still stand flat on a bench. It's about 6+ feet long so I have my chop saw on the other end. It's very sturdy and no shake even with unbalanced peices. The latching feet will bolt to just about anything too.:D

Bill Wyko
01-11-2007, 6:20 PM
Malcom I was wondering if it was possible to get an autographed copy of your book? If so let me know how to pay and how much. Thanks.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2007, 6:25 PM
BIll go to Malcolms website.....http://www.tahoeturner.com/. You can order a signed copy there!

Bill Wyko
01-11-2007, 7:36 PM
Thats the other thing I love about segmented work. I get to use up STACKS of scrap that I just could'nt bare to throw away. I'm one of those guys that;ll keep scraps until there widdled down to saw dust.:cool:

Bill Wyko
01-11-2007, 7:41 PM
Bill, when you dove in you went head first with a vengeance!:cool: This should turn out to be an outstanding vessel. As a "not-yet-segmenter," I have lots of questions, some of which will undoubtedly be cleared up as I continue to read. (I have the Ray Allen book but other things have required my attention; still I've browsed it and the stuff is first-rate.) One question has to do with flattening the rings. Is this best done by a drum sanding machine (e.g. the Laguna Beach Vase video that's been running on The Woodworking Channel) or some other method?
Mark, I'm telling you, if you have a miter saw, a bench sander and a good book on segmenting you'll absolutly love it. If you do a ring with 12 segments the peices are cut at 15degrees on each side and glue up 1/2 rings then parallel the flat sides on the sander and glue them together. After that the skys the limit. Then you can get more complex as you go. You know the old saying"try it you'll like it":D

Bill Wyko
01-12-2007, 6:19 PM
I figured I'd add a pic of the completed project to show beginning to end so here you go.:D
Opinions and advice are welcome, thank you.

Tom Sherman
01-13-2007, 6:46 AM
Very nice Bill, those woods look good together and in the combination you used

Bill Wyko
01-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks Tom, The vessel came out good but I was'nt happy with the finsh so I refinshed it last night. I'll put up one more pic when I'm satisfied with the frinsh. Thanks again.