PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for cheap wood

TYLER WOOD
01-10-2007, 4:31 PM
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get cheap wood blanks?

I live in west Texas where trees are actually 4' shrubs. We don't get people cutting trees down to clear space much. Any other ideas or people willing to ship chunks at a resonable fee??

FREE is always better!!!!

Mike Vickery
01-10-2007, 5:12 PM
Unfortunately wood seems to have two prices free and expensive.

I live in AZ and you could say much the same thing but big wood is out their. Contact every arborist in you area to see if they will let you have access to their wood pile. You will probably get a ton of no's or no responses but if you get one you will have access to more wood than you can turn. Universites and the city can also be good sources. That being said join your nearest turning club, while most turners are understandably secretive about their source they will some times sell extra wood fairly cheap. Also my club has guys that come to town with trailers full of wood for sale several times a year. Many people actually contact the turning club when they have trees that need to be taken down and members take down the trees and "dispose" of the wood.
I also see lubbock has a arboretum ( http://www.lubbockarboretum.org/lubbock.htm ) contact them my turning club has a deal with a local arborarium where they give us wood from trees that need to be taken down and we donate pieces that are then auctioned to help raise money.

Even if you get wood cheaply on the internet shipping will kill you.

edited in - Also wood you buy on the internet that is sent to Texas has a good chance of cracking due to the harsh change in climate. My neighbor has had this happen to several pieces that he has bought and had shipped.

Dan Gill
01-10-2007, 5:13 PM
Yeah, in Lubbock, trees are more valuable than space. :D Probably cost more, too.

You may have to think about a trip out east, at least to the central part of Texas or into south-central or eastern Oklahoma. Or find someone coming your way with a pickup or trailer.

I'll bet you can find some Creekers who are heading that way sometime.

Terry Quiram
01-10-2007, 7:07 PM
Tyler

Come on up and bring a trailer. I can fix you up big time.

Terry

Ken Fitzgerald
01-10-2007, 7:10 PM
Tyler......Talk around....and spread some of your turnigs around....FREE.....I spread some bottle stoppers around....a shallow bowl....next thing I know the folks who got the bowl had a friend that was taking out trees in a commercial orchard so they could replant......I've got a good pile of apricot, apple and maple.....More when I want it.....talk to any tree cutting outfit. .....If you have a chainsaw....tell them you want it in long lengths...to not worry about cutting it up.

Leigh Costello
01-10-2007, 7:22 PM
You would be surprised how many people have hunks of wood in their garage because "Uncle So-and-So" never used and it seems a waste to pitch it. Ask around, bet you find some.

Bill Wyko
01-10-2007, 7:32 PM
Here's a peice I got out of a bundle of firewood from HomeDepot. I don't know what it is but it looks like it might turn nicely.

Jonathon Spafford
01-10-2007, 7:48 PM
Your next door neighbors tree... you have to be pretty stealthy though... DAMHIKT (Ever see a blur holding a chainsaw???) :D :D :D

Ok, JK... tree services that take trees down and different trimming services could get you lots of wood and most of the time for free especially if you bribe them with a hand turned pen. Like everybody said, neighbors are often sources of wood. If you have a local club I am sure if you help them go cut some wood you might share in the profits. My club (and I think others) has a wood raffle after each meeting... one raffle ticket for a buck. I have gotten some awesome pieces of wood from there. My club also has an annual wood auction and you can get some nice wood there too!!!! Anyway, cheap wood is pretty easy to find!!!!

Hans Reed
01-10-2007, 8:11 PM
Tyler...

I live in Houston, but my folks live in kinda the central Texas area (Stephenville). If you want to buy some wood from here, I don't mind bringing it up halfway, if you don't mind going halfway. I usually make a trip up there about once a month...Not sure if that is half for you, but thought I would put the offer on the table...

Also, we have a lot of mesquite and pecan trees...my brother cuts'em and turns em.....

I use Houstonhardwoods, and Clarkes Hardwoods...may not be the best prices in the land, I have never compared to other areas....they are the only ones I know of...

Send me a PM if you are intersted....

Hans

John Shuk
01-10-2007, 8:34 PM
I might be able to ship you a couple chunks no charge if you pay for shipping.
What are you interested in?
PM me if you'd like to set something up.

Marvin Hasenak
01-10-2007, 9:24 PM
I am in Abilene Texas, same problem. Check out the local firewood dealers, some will let you go through their wood piles and pick and choose. You can get some good mesquite and oak at these places. I give the owners a couple turnings and they are glad to see me. He is a hunter so a game call every so often also helps. Next ice storm get your chain saw ready and offer to trim broken branches. All of this wood is not exotic, but the price is right, cheap or free.

John Hart
01-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Ok...it took me a little while...but here ya go. Just to the east of Lubbock, off of Texas 62, there's a little looping FM around what looks like a golf course. I see lots of trees and they look pretty big. Take a chain saw, go at night, use a muffler.;)
but seriously...all ideas above are good. Tree Services have dumping grounds. You should be able to call around and find them.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Tyler, if you ever in Houston let me know I'll have some wood for you. When you come bring some tumbleweeds, seriously.:)

Dan Gill
01-11-2007, 9:17 AM
Tyler, if you ever in Houston let me know I'll have some wood for you. When you come bring some tumbleweeds, seriously.:)

All right, I'll bite. What do you want tumbleweeds for?

Frank Kobilsek
01-11-2007, 9:44 AM
Tyler
Grab the Yellow pages and look up custom staircase shops, or custom millwork shops. These guys have scrap piles. A scrap 5/4 stair tread can make a nice plate. Cut-offs of newel posts make a nice end grain goblet or can be cut to stopper blocks. You might have to pick thru the pine and oak before you find the maple, cherry and other good stuff. Generally free but take something back to the guy who helps you and you'll be increasingly welcomed.

That was my best source when I got started on my mini.

Frank

TYLER WOOD
01-11-2007, 9:52 AM
Thanks for all the very good ideas. As soon as I can I will shoot some pm off for the wood. I have to get a few things arranged in the garage before I can start stockpiling. I just needed info on where some of you got your wood.

John - TOOO FUNNY! I've lived here about 8-9 years and have no idea where that is. I know wheere the hiway is that is shown but not the area in the circle!

PS I will be pm some of those that offered wood up for sale or shipping. Thanks to all of you for your help!!!! It is ture that you guys will help wherever possible!!!!

Kurt Rosenzweig
01-11-2007, 10:00 AM
You can add me to your list! I'd be happy to flat rate you some.

Steve LaFara
01-12-2007, 12:56 AM
You can come by my place as the locel utility Co. trimmed the neighbors tree away from the power lines and left behind a nice 7' tall stump!:confused: The limbs are just laying there and it's been over a week since they cut it all down. Does not look like they are coming back anytime soon either. Not sure what the tree is but my neighbor would probably be happy to have it cleaned up.

I was watching the guys trimming and was amazed that it took 5 guys to do the work. One in the tree with a chain saw and the other 4 standing around talking.

There has to be a LOT of wood around here from all the storms that we've had. Too bad I have a VERY small lathe and can't use any of it.