PDA

View Full Version : Grinder Arbor Size

Burt Alcantara
01-10-2007, 4:22 PM
I'm in the market for a bench grinder. I've noticed that many grinders come with different arbor sizes.

The local HF has a 3450 8" grinder for $45. Sort of what I was looking for but it has a 1/2" arbor. Can I get some that will allow the mounting of a 5/8" arbor wheel?

Thanks,
Burt

Jake Helmboldt
01-10-2007, 8:39 PM
Most wheels appear to come with a bushing to allow use on 1/2 or 5/8 arbors. I just bought a 6" wheel/27" belt sander combo from Northern Tool. The downside to any of these is the need for a tool rest, either purchased or made.

But I like the extra flexibility of having the belt as well, and lots advocate the use of a belt for initial grinding.

JH

Bruce Wrenn
01-10-2007, 10:20 PM
A bench grinder is pretty much a generic thing. I have a 6" on from Lowes, that was $19.99 when I bought it twenty+ years ago. Other than replacing the stones (wheels) nothing has ever been done to it. Often, Big Lots will have a 6" for the sum of $19.99. Personally, when and if the Lowes one quits, I will replace it with another cheapie. I do have a very expensive Skil brand grinder ( bought from a yard sale) that I haven't ever used. The one from Lowes just won't quit!

Brad Hammond
01-11-2007, 12:02 PM
burt, i've probably got the same kind of grinder you're looking at. i'd bought it off ebay a bunch of years ago. if it's a 1/2 horse it takes a while for the wheel to spin up. anywhoo.....
i recently bought a pink grinding wheel from woodcraft. the bushing was too big. it came with two bushings but the smallest was for a 5/8" arbor. i called them and couldnt get a smaller one. it may be a big no no, but i made one out of birch and it seems to work great so far. those pink and white wheels make such a big differnce!
cya!

Bruce Wrenn
01-11-2007, 9:56 PM
Lowes carries nylon bushings in the bolt and screw section, in the drawers. All the bushing does is center the wheel. The flanges are what transfers the power to the wheel. Just be sure to get two bushings, as one usually isn't long enough.