PDA

View Full Version : Scarey sharp is called that for a reason

David Rose
11-19-2003, 3:21 AM
Just got in a new low angle block plane from Lee Valley as an early BD present! I couldn't stand it. The first thing that had to happen, when I got too tired to work, was make that edge invisible. I looked over the bedding and adjusters and am not even sure it will need fettling!

Of course, it was too late to be doing any more sawing and jointing so I decided to do something less dangerous and flatten the back and sharpen that thing. That was the first mistake. My sharpening station is new and higher than it had been for better visibility for tired eyes. That steel was really looking good about the .5 micron paper. Then some little booger from somewhere caused the blade and honing guide to slip from my fingers. With the new setup I am working on the edge of a cabinet, so it was headed for the floor. The mats don't go back that far so it was headed for CEMENT! Fortunately the blade was undamaged by either my little finger or boot toe! The boot was old and the blade didn't land on the edge on it anyway. By the time I had honed out the very tip of the edge the bleeding had stopped. Don't fret. I didn't get anything red on the plane. Did you know that something that sharp makes a very painless cut? Until the honing oil seeped in I didn't even know I was cut. And the skin lays back down almost invisibly. Scarey sharp is good!

So far all of minor woodworking injuries have been with those cussed Neaderthal tools. :D I suppose it would have been harder to lay the skin back if I had caught the blade of a falling running router, so I can't complain too much. :rolleyes:

I stayed in the shop just long enough to make a couple of swipes on the corner of a piece of handy spf. I couldn't tell it was cutting until I saw the shavings! My vice jaws have never really been edged. They are hard maple. It cut the corners the same way! I couldn't even feel resistance at all. I didn't get a chance to cut anything flat, but I'll bet it will do the job.

David

John Miliunas
11-19-2003, 7:52 AM
David, glad to hear you weren't injured any worse! Yeah, "knock on wood", but most all of my injuries have also been at the wrong end of a Neander tool! Like yourself, though, I still think Scarey Sharp is one of the most effective methods of sharpening out there. At least, for me it is. Enjoy your new plane (Stealth gloat, BTW!!!) and keep the funky chemicals out of that cut. :cool:

Dave Anderson NH
11-19-2003, 9:18 AM
Congratulations!! It is an old Neanderthal tradition that all new tools and any project you are working on must be anointed with the red stuff. :D Being Neanderthals, a blood sacrifice is required to appease the woodworking and tool gods. As for the flap of skin, a drop of cyanoacrylate in the cut and a short application of pressure will close it really quickly and allow it to heal. Like you, I've never hurt myself with a power tool (knock on wood) but counting all of the fingers and toes of all of the Creekers wouldn't total up to the number of nicks and scrapes and cuts I've gotten over the years from hand tools and even the wood itself.

Bob Lasley
11-19-2003, 9:30 AM
David,

Sure glad you didn't get blood all over that new plane.........or some nice walnut! :D

I'm glad you got the plane. That one is on my list, too. Either that one, or the little apron plane. Sounds like it is worth the money, keep me posted on how it performs.

I think the problem with getting hurt with neander tools, is that they don't make enough noise. Us electron junkies have conditioned ourselves to be careful when something is roaring, whining, screaming, etc. Those neander tools kind of fake you out and then bite you! :rolleyes:

Heal quickly,
Bob

David Rose
11-19-2003, 2:18 PM
John: I keep looking for a less messy or faster way to sharpen. Starting with reasonably sharp tools, I don't think there is one.

Dave: So can I do the sacrifice myself, under controlled conditions? I would just as soon get it over with quickly, cleanly, and right where I want "it". ;)

Bob: You may have been joking, and maybe not. Interestingly, I caught myself moving thoughtfully and deliberately when I still had my hearing protectors on after shutting down the saw. Not my normal bang and slam style. I think the protectors may hold my brain in a more usable position. :eek: I have an old no name block plane with a factory, though scarey sharpened blade. It has been fettled as far as I can go with it. It feels like a tin can and cuts about the same. At first I was a little put off by the weight of the LV, but that is probably part of the difference. Plus bedding is better, the throat is adjustable and the blade is twice as thick on the LV as the old one. If you don't have a block plane at all, you can have my old one. But it will probably convince you to spend some money.

David

Bart Leetch
11-19-2003, 4:16 PM
Well Dr. Rose

Your bedside manner is rather clumsy. what ever you do don't say AH with that tool in your hands.

So you see Scary Sharp does work!!!! Sometimes to well........

David Rose
11-19-2003, 5:10 PM
Mr. Leetch,

Actually, I think it was the weight of the tool and the hour. The blade and guide weigh more than my old block plane does. It was just too late for that sort of exertion. Excuses, excuses...

I really do believe that LOML would *like* for me to say "AH" with that tool in my hand sometimes. Maybe that's why she gave it to me.

Actually, the scarey sharp blade did what it was suppose to. It cut what it contacted. :D

David

Well Dr. Rose

Your bedside manner is rather clumsy. what ever you do don't say AH with that tool in your hands.

So you see Scary Sharp does work!!!! Sometimes to well........

Bob Lasley
11-19-2003, 9:44 PM
David,

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. I already have one of that type of block plane. That's why I've been thinking about the LV planes. Glad to hear you like yours so well.

Bob