PDA

View Full Version : Stuck drill bit

Joe Melton
01-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Last night I was drilling a 5/8" hole into some 2x2 Ziricote, and the forstner bit got stuck. I got tired of removing it every 1/4" to clean it, so decided to just drill the last 3/4" without cleaning it. Now the drill bit won't retract. It turns (and smokes), but won't come out. It is only 2" into the wood.
When I turn the crank on the tail stock, the drill arbor just pops out of the spindle. My tail stock is not hollow, so there is no way that I know of to secure the arbor in the spindle.
Is there a solution short of losing the nice wood?
Joe

Ken Fitzgerald
01-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Joe,

1. I'd try taking a piece of wire....probing into the hole behind the bit and cleaning out as much as you can.

2. Can you put a thin block of wood on the surface of the zircote and pry against the jacobs chuck?......Do use much pressure....rotate a few degrees....do it again....rotate a few degrees.....and so on....try to apply pressure...small amounts as evenly as you can...

3. Can you take a piece of wood....cut a v into it and wedge it between the jacobs chuck and the block of wood and force it out.....rotate the V block occasionally to try to bring the bit out parallel to the sides of the hole.....

Good luck!

John Hart
01-10-2007, 11:30 AM
I would suggest what Ken's saying except I'd tap that piece of wood with a small hammer or mallet while rotating. The vibration might help break through whatever got cooked and galled in there.

Jonathon Spafford
01-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Try loosening the whole tail stock, then turn your lathe on and while holding with one hand on your tail stock and one hand on your jacobs chuck see if you can't get it out.