PDA

View Full Version : New Member Intro

Garay Holland
01-10-2007, 9:54 AM
Boy! Are we glad we found this group! My wife (Pat) and I are both retired from the Air Force and live in the Ozarks of north central Arkansas. Pat was an electronic communications maintenance officer/Command communications system officer. I started as an electronics technician and thanks to the Air Force's continuing education program, ended as an electronic system engineer in the satellite tracking field. But, we both have had a life long love for woodworking.

After Pat retired we began Our Project - to build our own home with only our own labor. We knew it would be a long project (had no real idea of how long!) so we first built our "utility house". It consist of a 32 x60 ft concrete block building with half framed and finished as living quarters and the the other half as a shop.

Until now, the shop has been set up primarily to support construction type work (forms, framing, etc). The major construction of our Project is nearing completion (we are now doing interior plaster work) and we are beginning to shift our shop toward finish woodworking to do cabinets, build-ins, and furniture. So we are tuning the planer (Powermatic 221) with a new Byrd head (thanks to threads from smc) and looking at several other items that need similar work. So we are really glad we have such a great reservoir of knowledge from where to draw.

If you would care to see a photo time line of our project, I uploaded a few photos to Kodak's free site (our only available Internet connection is one very slow dialup ISP) to make them available.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingReg.jsp?Uc=88zuvsar.67qjr403&Uy=-mzmo2l&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=1&UV=178106526604_428630859107 (http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingReg.jsp?Uc=88zuvsar.67qjr403&Uy=-mzmo2l&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=1&UV=178106526604_428630859107)

We welcome comments and questions and those can be sent to us at gmalinois@aol.com.

Looking forward to sharing with all of you.
Garay and Pat Holland

Jim Becker
01-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Welcome aboard, Garay!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Garay......Welcome to the Creek! Thanks to you and Pat for your service to our country!

Tyler Howell
01-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Welcome Garay and Pat.
Great place and good bunch of folks.:cool: