PDA

View Full Version : Mobile base issues with G0513x

Rob Diz
01-10-2007, 9:54 AM
Last night I put my Griz G0513x on the Jet 600lb capable mobile base. I was frankly impressed with the ease in which it snapped together. To be safe, I thought, I put a sub base of 3/4 ply.

Don't ask me how I did it, but I moved the BS on to the mobile base.

I did not attach the ply sub-base to the mobile base, nor did I attach the BS to the ply.

Here's my issue. With just my fingertips on the table, I can get significant movement on the saw, even with the wheels locked.

I was thinking I might need to remove the BS, laminate two 3/4 sheets together to get a stronger sub base, then somehow tie that plywood sub base into the mobile base.

Does this make sense, or should I just go get another mobile base, possibly with a wider wheel base?

Don Bullock
01-10-2007, 10:06 AM
I used the same base on my Craftsman 14" band saw. Like you, I was impressed at how well the base went together. Mine is attached to the base. The Craftsman saw had a hole for a bolt in each corner of its base. I drilled through each of those holes through the steel triangles at the corners of the base. I measured the length of bolt needed to go through the saw base, two 3/4" plywood pieces and the steel in the base. The bolts were incerted from the bottom and I put acorn nuts on the top to tie it all together. My saw is very stable.

See: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48824

Rob Diz
01-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks.

I think I will re-build the mobile base to get a wider footprint (thanks for the idea). Like a lemming, I followed the feaking pictures and didn't use any common sense. Thanks for bringing me back to reality.

With that said, and a through bolting, do you all think I need to bother laminating two sheets of 3/4 ply, or will one be enought?

Don Bullock
01-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks.

I think I will re-build the mobile base to get a wider footprint (thanks for the idea). Like a lemming, I followed the feaking pictures and didn't use any common sense. Thanks for bringing me back to reality.

With that said, and a through bolting, do you all think I need to bother laminating two sheets of 3/4 ply, or will one be enought?

I used two pieces of plywood because I had to raise my saw up above the mobile base so the side door on the saw base would open. I do think the extra piece added some strength. I also changed the layout of the rear wheels. As can be seen on the picture in the other thread, I placed the wheels on the sided rather than the rear. I thought that placement would be more stable than the normal rear placeent of the wheels.

Scott Halverson
01-10-2007, 12:38 PM
I was thinking on building my own mobile base. The bandsaw already has four holes drilled in the base. Here is what I was thinking:

Rip a 4x4 to 2'1/4". That's the thickness of the inside of the bottom of the base. Countersink a bolt from the bottom, and install a nut on the top. Then I could buy four locking swivel casters that have four screw hole mounts, and mount them to the bottom of the 4x4.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Scott

Aaron Frank
01-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Last night I put my Griz G0513x on the Jet 600lb capable mobile base. I was frankly impressed with the ease in which it snapped together. To be safe, I thought, I put a sub base of 3/4 ply.

Don't ask me how I did it, but I moved the BS on to the mobile base.

I did not attach the ply sub-base to the mobile base, nor did I attach the BS to the ply.

Here's my issue. With just my fingertips on the table, I can get significant movement on the saw, even with the wheels locked.

I was thinking I might need to remove the BS, laminate two 3/4 sheets together to get a stronger sub base, then somehow tie that plywood sub base into the mobile base.

Does this make sense, or should I just go get another mobile base, possibly with a wider wheel base?

Hi there,

I received my G0513X last week (stealth gloat:D ), but haven't had any time to get her set up. I have the ShopFox base and am wondering what kind of movement you are talking about. Is it 'tippy-ness' of the saw overall or is the saw/base as a unit easy to slide around even with the feet down?

Thanks
Aaron

EJ Gowlovech
01-10-2007, 1:32 PM
I also picked up one of these, it was delivered yesterday. I'm going with the HTC2000 Mobile Base and plywood. Is there anything else to be concerned about?

By the way - thanks for all the help here. This is a great forum.

Rob Diz
01-10-2007, 1:37 PM
I wasn't concerned that the BS woudl tip, but there was a "jiggle" to the table. I pushed on the table, and there was a wobble, something I have not experienced in any of my other tools, all of which are also on mobile bases. It could have been the saw on the ply, the ply on the base, or the base on the floor. I moved the base around, so I don't think it was the floor.

I was concerned that the table and workpiece could move during use, causing an inaccurate cut. That's why I want to nail this issue down now. I'll see if I can get this done tonight, and I'll report back.

Craig Stueve
01-10-2007, 3:14 PM
Hi there,

I received my G0513X last week (stealth gloat:D ), but haven't had any time to get her set up. I have the ShopFox base and am wondering what kind of movement you are talking about. Is it 'tippy-ness' of the saw overall or is the saw/base as a unit easy to slide around even with the feet down?

Thanks
Aaron
Aaron I have mine on a ShopFox mobile base with a 3/4" sheet of plywood and the saw is very stable. The only problem is that I am still about a 1/16 short of clearing the bolts to open the lower door. I can get around this by slightly lifting the door when I open it. I will add a piece of 1/8" hardboard at some point when I have someone to help me get it under the saw.

Rob I wish I had better news for you, but I have noticed the same thing from the Jet mobile base as you are seeing. I originally had one under my Jet contractor saw and hated it. The saw always felt like it was moving around while I was using it. Using 2 sheets of plwood might help, but you will be bringing the table higher which is a potential drawback.

Craig

Rob Diz
01-10-2007, 5:03 PM
Interesting idea.

The only issue I would have would be getting the casters installed. If you have a way to suspend the BS in the air, your method would seem to work. The "weak link" to me would be the lag screws into the wood. Then again, they are only there for stability, not weight bearing. It should work, and you could really get some high quality casters. I have had luck with Great Lakes Caster dot com, and they give a discount if you mention another popular WW forum.

I don't think that having the weight on the edge of the lower "box" gives the saw any additional strenth over having the support inset, but others with more experience may have other thoughts.

Scott Halverson
01-10-2007, 5:16 PM
Thanks for your reply Rob. I was thinking of these casters from Woodcraft. They are currently on sale also.

Scott

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1989

Al Willits
01-10-2007, 5:50 PM
Thanks for all these posts, I have the 14" Delta on a mobile base and it wobbles like a drunken sailor, adding another project to the "to do" list..thanks.
Al

Rob Diz
01-11-2007, 3:50 PM
Well since I started this thread, I thought I should report back on my progress. I didn't have much shop time last night, but I was able to move the BS back on to the shipping skid, flip the casters as suggested to create the "largest" footprint possible, and then I drilled holes through a single sheet of 3/4 ply and the base. I used 1/4 x 3 1/2 hex head bolts to secure the saw on to the base. With the through holes, everything is pulled together (that's why I didn't bother with laminating two sheets of ply together).

The end result is that the saw has much more stability, but still has a touch of movement. I think I have located the source of that movement to either 1) uneven floor or 2) some slop in front 360 casters.

Once I get the rest of the saw set up, I was thinking I would try to stabilize the rotating casters with some shims and see if the problems goes away. If this does not solve the problem, I'll report back. All in all though, bolting the thing together improved stability.

Thanks to all who participated in this thread.

Don Bullock
01-11-2007, 7:54 PM
I'm glad to see that the situation has improved. Let us know if you try anything else with the rotating castors.

Russ Massery
01-11-2007, 8:42 PM
I'm to put mine up on one of these. I've have good luck these mobile base's in the past with other machines.http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2383

Aaron Frank
01-11-2007, 9:55 PM
Aaron I have mine on a ShopFox mobile base with a 3/4" sheet of plywood and the saw is very stable. The only problem is that I am still about a 1/16 short of clearing the bolts to open the lower door. I can get around this by slightly lifting the door when I open it. I will add a piece of 1/8" hardboard at some point when I have someone to help me get it under the saw.

Rob I wish I had better news for you, but I have noticed the same thing from the Jet mobile base as you are seeing. I originally had one under my Jet contractor saw and hated it. The saw always felt like it was moving around while I was using it. Using 2 sheets of plwood might help, but you will be bringing the table higher which is a potential drawback.

Craig

Steve,

I measured the base of the saw and then the mobile base, and thought that it would work... But, you were right. I'm about an 1/8" too low. I'll have to get a piece of hardboard to slide under the base. Overall, moving the saw from the crate base onto the mobile base was surprisingly easy. I was able to 'walk' it from one to the other. I've cleaned and installed the table top/fence, so now I'm just left with the electrical work, which I'll hopefully get done this weekend. (But of course none of this has happened shince there are no pictures.) Yahoo!
Aaron

Richard Keller
01-11-2007, 9:55 PM
Thanks.

Just remember:

The instructions are only the manufacturers OPINION of how it should go together.

I am the repair guy at a local tool store, and I have found many manuals lead the user down the garden path. While you will eventually get the thing together, there are often much easier ways than shown in the instructions.

BTW - I put a plywood subfloor in all my mobile bases. I screw the plywood to the base from underneath, then put the tool on, and screw down through it from above. It works great. Remember, your only trying to hold the thing from vibrating around, so #10x1" works fine. It's not holding any weight.

Richard.