PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice...

Tim Brooks
01-10-2007, 9:53 AM
Here is my dilemma (and maybe it is not a dilemma at all):

I was blessed with a FREE lathe a few months back. I do not remember the maker of the lathe but it is a lot like this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38515 (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38515)

Given, it is a very low-end lathe (but it was free) and it has some limitations. I want to start with some pen turning but I have two problems with doing that on this lathe. 1. I am not sure how to connect the mandrel to the head stock shaft. 2. I cannot get the tool rest as close to the work piece as I'd like because of the design without buying another tool rest--if I can even find one to fit.

My options as I see them:

1. Find a machine shop that can make a connector for the mandrel to attach it to the shaft in the headstock. And if I can find it, purchase a shorter tool rest.

2. Plan to only use this lathe for bigger jobs and purchase the Variable Speed Jet Mini Lathe. This would be my preference but money is really too tight to drop $350 on a new lathe.

So here is my question: Do I invest the money in the cheap lathe (would it really be worth the time and money) or do I work a side job to come up with the $$ to buy the Jet?

What are your opinions?

:( :(

Robert McGowen
01-10-2007, 10:06 AM
IMHO there are two things to consider.

1) By the time that you look around for a machine shop, get connectors made, have a different rest located, purchased, or made, realize that you still need something else that you haven't thought about yet, and PAY for all of this, etc., etc., etc., would you actually spend less time earning the money and be happier in the end buying the mini?

2) I heard a saying that was something to the effect of "advice is what people ask for when they already know the answer, but just want to hear it from someone else." :rolleyes: So....go buy the mini!

Dario Octaviano
01-10-2007, 10:07 AM
I know it is tough but you would be better off buying a new lathe (one with MT2).

Accessories are expensive and you want to be able to move it to any lathe in the future should you upgrade again.

Jon Shively
01-10-2007, 10:18 AM
I would also agree to buy the mini, but would build an axle using threaded rod and dedicate this other lathe to be your buffing station. Could fit three buffing wheels on it and it would be great for this and also very handy. (I hate to throw things away when they can serve another practical purpose)

Tim Brooks
01-10-2007, 10:18 AM
IMHO there are two things to consider.

1) By the time that you look around for a machine shop, get connectors made, have a different rest located, purchased, or made, realize that you still need something else that you haven't thought about yet, and PAY for all of this, etc., etc., etc., would you actually spend less time earning the money and be happier in the end buying the mini?

2) I heard a saying that was something to the effect of "advice is what people ask for when they already know the answer, but just want to hear it from someone else." :rolleyes: So....go buy the mini!

I actually considered your second point before posting my questions as I WOULD much rather have the new toy. But I also wanted to pose the question to the more experienced who would know that I would run into other issues months down the road that, as you pointed out in your first point, I have not thought of. Information such as that would definitely tip the scale for me.

I will also need to purchase a drill press and grinder to get into turning so I was also considering these costs in my decision.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Tim....something else to consider about the free lathe.....The low speed on the one you linked is over 1000 rpm......It would be fine for pens and maybe some spindle work but.....that's awfully fast!....

Buy the new one.......in the long run it'll be cheaper......One of the considerations for my new lathe that I hope to purchase this fall is that it has #2 morse tapers so my accessories work on it.....

John Hart
01-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Yup...my first thought was that 1000 rpm is too fast for bigger projects so you're limited to the small stuff, and you have to invest in custom machining to make it work for that. Ya know, a grunch of folks just bought that Palmgren for $200 and change....with free shipping. That would beat the snot out of custom machining....and you could do 15" bowls as well as pens.

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2007, 2:04 PM
You can get a Delta LA200 from amazon.com for $235 plus free shipping. I have one and love it. Woodcraft has the Rikon midi which will turn 12" bowls and it is $250. I also got one of these and use it more than my big 15" lathe. Both you have to change the belt to change speeds but it doesn't bother me as it only takes about 30 seconds and will save you some money for tools. Just some options.

Ed Breen
01-10-2007, 8:17 PM
Hey Jon,
Thanks for a great idea. Here i"ve been pulling the parts and putting the Beal system on my Delta when I've got this older simpler lathe that could be used for the Beal and free up the primary Delta. Thanks!!
Ed:D :D

Charles McKinley
01-11-2007, 3:29 PM
If the deal is still on at Amazon on the Plamgren I think it is a great buy.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2007, 3:38 PM
Hey folks.........Tim made a pre-gloat announcement yesterday in this thread.....http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49477

Gordon Seto
01-11-2007, 5:17 PM
I would also agree to buy the mini, but would build an axle using threaded rod and dedicate this other lathe to be your buffing station. Could fit three buffing wheels on it and it would be great for this and also very handy.

If this is the sheet metal headstock HF lathe, then the 3 wheels buffer may not be a good idea. That particular lathe, the head stock and tail stock flex and can't line up when pressure is applied. That can ruin the buffer rod or pen mandrel. You can't even use it to turn pens.

Gordon

Glenn Hodges
01-11-2007, 5:48 PM
Take the free lathe, sell it in the paper cheap. Use that money for a good tool. Buy the lathe you want to start with.