PDA

View Full Version : Pics of canoe building process

Marcus Carr
01-10-2007, 8:36 AM
Here are a few pictures taken while I was in the construction phase of the redwood canoe.

Marcus Carr
01-10-2007, 8:38 AM
Here are a few more.

Marcus Carr
01-10-2007, 8:39 AM
and the last few

John Schreiber
01-10-2007, 8:44 AM
That looks like quite a process. What is the basic method? It looks like you are gluing the strips together over a form. What kind of joint is there between the strips? What's the purpose of the little blocks? I could go on for a long time with questions, but I won't, but I am curious.

Keep us informed as you build.

Tom Wynn
01-10-2007, 9:00 AM
Looks very nice... I built a cedar strip sea kayak about 3 years ago and had a blast doing it. It is interesting to see you using a lot of the same constuction methods. I too found bungee cords were very helpful in holding the strips to the form as well as numerous other clamps. There was much relief and frustration fitting the last strip in mine. Best of luck in the fiber glassing. What type of epoxy to you plan to use?

Tom

Marcus Carr
01-10-2007, 9:07 AM
I choose the West Systems epoxy and hardener. I also went with their measured pumps, which made it a lot easier. Here are a few pics of the epoxy applied to the outside of the canoe.

I would be very interested to see pictures of your sea kayak.

Marcus

Marcus Carr
01-10-2007, 9:07 AM
oops...here are the pics

Andy Livingston
01-10-2007, 9:14 AM
Great looking canoe! I have been contemplating starting one for some time now. I even bought the plans. The Bear Mountain Boat Shop http://www.bearmountainboats.com has a fantastic forum on kayak and canoe strip building. When I finally do start that project I'll post some pics. Make sure you get a lot of pics of the first launch!!!!

Tyler Howell
01-10-2007, 9:20 AM
Thanks Marcus:cool:
See Kayak or canoe is first fun project on the list for the garagemahal

John Timberlake
01-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Quite a job there. Looks like it is going great.

David Wilson
01-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks for posting Marcus.

I am also curious about the small blocks. I used staples on my kayak. Is this an alternative?

Marcus Carr
01-10-2007, 11:32 AM
There are a few ways to put the strips on.

1. Staples - Works quickly, can put on many strips at once, but leaves a lot of holes in the boat. Those holes could be left for the epoxy to fill, but it doesn't look that good and you may end up with an air bubble. Another option is to pound toothpicks in the holes and break them off, then sand.

2. Brad nails with spacers - this is the option that I started with on this canoe. The spacers stop the brads from sinking in to the boat too far. When it is time to remove the brads, just break the spacers of and the brad is sticking up 1/4" from the boat. You can pull them out with pliers. Drawback is that you are left with holes, like the staple method.

3. Bungie cords and clamps - I switched to this method about 1/2 way though the process. You are restricted to 1 or two strips at a time, and it may be difficult to get everything tight. The major benefit here is that you end up with a surface with no holes. It is worth the extra clamping and drying time to get a smooth surface with no holes.

My next canoe will be built with option 3.

Marcus

Don Orr
01-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Make sure you get a lot of pics of the first launch!!!!

LAUNCH !?!? You're not actually gonna put that gorgeous thing in the water and take a chance of hitting a rock or something :eek: :D ;) .

Great job and excellent progress pix!

Marcus Carr
01-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Actually, I will not be the one to launch it. This is a gift for my father, who has a 1.5 acre pond on his property.

I figure the guy who taught me boating and fishing ough to have it =]

Marcus

Don Orr
01-10-2007, 12:06 PM
That's awesome Marcus-the definition of a labor of love!

Brad Hammond
01-10-2007, 12:07 PM
fantastic! that's one thing that's definetly on my list things to do! great work!

rodney mitchell
01-10-2007, 12:12 PM
That looks awesome. Did you use a set of plans?

RM

Robert MacKinnon
01-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Nice job, Marcus!!!

What is the purpose of the small square spacer blocks as the strip glue-up progresses? I've not seen this before. Is this something you devised to solve a problem or is it a technique documented elsewhere?

Marcus Carr
01-12-2007, 8:01 AM
Robert,

The small spacer blocks stop the brads from sinking all the way into the boat, so I can easily break off the blocks and pull the brads later. They also act to spread out the clamping pressure, which stops the strips from pulling up due to the small head size of the brads.

Marcus

Jeff Wright
01-12-2007, 8:23 AM
Marcus,

What plan did you use to build this canoe and where did you get them? Thanks.

Kristian Wild
01-12-2007, 8:28 AM
Beautiful Marcus! I've always admired the sleek looking lines of cedar strippers, but never had the honour of paddling one. Your dad will be very happy and proud.

Marcus Carr
01-12-2007, 9:04 AM
Jeff,

The book is called Featherweight Boatbuilding by Henry "Mac" McCarthy. It is more than just plans. It covers his boating and building and he has a few stories throughout the book about personal boating experience. It was a very pleasant read and the plans and instructions were easy to follow.

Marcus

Jeff Wright
01-12-2007, 9:28 AM
Jeff,

The book is called Featherweight Boatbuilding by Henry "Mac" McCarthy. It is more than just plans. It covers his boating and building and he has a few stories throughout the book about personal boating experience. It was a very pleasant read and the plans and instructions were easy to follow.

Marcus

Thanks Marcus. I will be anxious to see pics of the inside of your canoe.

Marcus Carr
01-12-2007, 9:47 AM
Jeff,

It is off the molds and in the sling right now, so I can take a few pics of the inside tonight.

Marcus