PDA

View Full Version : Another "Creation"

Guy Germaine
01-10-2007, 6:31 AM
Here is a figured Mahogany and maple pen that I turned last night. I'm happy with the look of it, but not happy with the finish. I used a CA finish, and for some reason, I wound up with some white dust in the finish. I even used the air compressor to blow the CA dust off between coats.

http://www.fototime.com/37703AC1D6E3EEF/standard.jpg

John Hart
01-10-2007, 6:42 AM
Another beauty Guy! Your white dust problem may have to do with the ingrain in the mahogany. It would have a tendency to collect fine particles pretty easy. I try to seal any ingrain and get the entire surface even, prior to final finishing on any piece.

Bob Hallowell
01-10-2007, 7:30 AM
Guy,
That's really nice, But if I may as beutiful as you are making your blanks and the time you are spending you need to step up to some nicer kits and get away from the slimline. even if you don't want to spend much make a cigar their not much more.

Bob

Guy Germaine
01-10-2007, 8:43 AM
Thanks Bob. I do intend on stepping up to better kits, and nicer pens. I will do that once I feel comfortable with making, and finishing them. I figured I'd learn on the "cheaper" stuff before I move on. Another reason why I'm using these kits is that the wife keeps TAKING them! :rolleyes:

If I don't put the darn thing in my pocket when I'm done, it winds up in her purse. :D

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2007, 9:29 AM
Great looking pen Guy! You really got that segmenting part down! Looking forward to your next posting! Nice work!

Jim King
01-10-2007, 9:33 AM
There is a lot of Mahogany here in some areas of the Amazon that is not saleable due to white mineral spots. I have seen peices that look like a guernsey cow when cut and on down to salt size spots.

Jonathon Spafford
01-10-2007, 12:33 PM
That is an awesome pen... you really did a grand job on it. I have always liked those Celtic knot style pens!

Jonathon Spafford
01-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Guy,
That's really nice, But if I may as beutiful as you are making your blanks and the time you are spending you need to step up to some nicer kits and get away from the slimline. even if you don't want to spend much make a cigar their not much more.

Bob

Slimline pens aren't bad... they are the most versatile kit and I really like 'em. Since you are starting to make better pens though, I would steer away from the 24kt gold and start buying Rhodium and Titanium slimlines. The plating on these will never wear off like they often do on 24kt.

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2007, 1:51 PM
Guy that is another awesome pen. I really like it. Nice job.

Travis Hirst
01-10-2007, 2:05 PM
Beautiful pen. Call me stupid but I'm fairly new to the turning thing, How do you get that intricate pattern with your blanks? That looks awesome!

Travis

Guy Germaine
01-10-2007, 3:39 PM
Here are a couple of pictures that should help explain how I made the last pen. If you look at it, you can figure it out very easily. The only thing I would do different would be to be more careful with the symmetry of the lines. I just kind of "winged" it with my pattern. The fun part of it is that you really don't know what's going to come out until you turn it. Give it a shot.

This picture shows the blank with the cuts made and the veneer sandwiched in it.
http://www.fototime.com/B559B5A03B0EA4D/standard.jpg

This picture shows it glued up, sanded, and the Purpleheard ends gluing.
http://www.fototime.com/83B7776BAF6DFE0/standard.jpg

Leigh Costello
01-10-2007, 7:30 PM
Awesome pics and pens, Guy! Thanks for showing the process. My hubby had just asked how you do this. Great work, and by the way, what is wrong with your wife having a purseful of your pens? I have a purseful and sell from it, but don't tell her to sell 'em or she might bean you!:D

Guy Germaine
01-10-2007, 8:17 PM
I'd love it if she sold them! She sold a few at Christmas, but other than that, I think she just likes to use a different one each day! :D