PDA

View Full Version : Small gift ideas

Rick Haigh
11-18-2003, 11:10 PM
I am looking for small gift ideas, that I can make in my shop. I would really like to make some boxes or other gifts like that. I do not have a lathe, so I cannot turn anything. I am looking for suggestions and plans if possible.

Thanks,
Rick

Todd Burch
11-18-2003, 11:29 PM
A few years ago (7 to be exact), I made a bunch of sliding lid candle boxes. I used mostly clear sections of #2 pine, planed to about 1/4" thick. No hardware was required. I butt jointed, glued and used round toothpicks as nails. I finished them with a couple coats of amber shellac and did a three color stencil on the lid of a wreath. I outlined the colors with a Sharpie. Except for the one box my 80lb niece stepped on - they are all holding up just fine! I think I still have one... yes - here's a couple pictures. Todd.

aurelio alarcon
11-19-2003, 12:51 AM
A few years ago (7 to be exact), I made a bunch of sliding lid candle boxes. I used mostly clear sections of #2 pine, planed to about 1/4" thick. No hardware was required. I butt jointed, glued and used round toothpicks as nails. I finished them with a couple coats of amber shellac and did a three color stencil on the lid of a wreath. I outlined the colors with a Sharpie. Except for the one box my 80lb niece stepped on - they are all holding up just fine! I think I still have one... yes - here's a couple pictures. Todd.
excellent idea and beautiful work! I know a couple of friends would just love to have one of those. I'm going to have to get busy.

John Scarpa
11-19-2003, 9:09 AM
Todd,
Great idea for a gift. The stencil was a nice touch. Did you use acrylics? Looks great!....tooth picks eh?

Bob Lasley
11-19-2003, 9:19 AM
Rick,

Boxes always go over well. If you search this forum, you will find many examples of boxes. Bandsawn boxes are fun. Cutting boards are easy to make and appreciated by the cooks on your list. Making clocks with the press in fitups available from Woodcraft, Klockit and others, are a piece of cake.

Check some of the recent issues of ww magazines. They are usually full of ideas this time of year.

Good luck,
Bob

Todd Burch
11-19-2003, 9:19 AM
Yes, acrylics. I would going to shellac over the stencil too, but the shellac kept dissolving the "permanent" marker. Alcohol. Todd.

(edited: I was wrong above - I used square toothpicks. )

Charles McKinley
11-19-2003, 10:22 AM
Hi Todd.

Did you pre drill the holes or is the hard wood of the tooth pick hard enough to go into the pine?

Thanks

Todd Burch
11-19-2003, 11:11 AM
Charles, you have to predrill. I think I glued the boxes up, then drilled and hammered in the 1/2 length toothpicks (the tips were broken off, leaving the thicker shaft), then sanded everything smooth. I made extra boxes for the inevitable blowout when drilling in soft pine. I kept the rejects! I also glued the toothpicks in.

Byron Trantham
11-19-2003, 11:54 AM
Todd,
Hell'va an idea - toothpicks. They look cool and serve the purpose. I'll remember this one.

Don Farr
11-19-2003, 12:15 PM
Todd, That's a great idea and looks good. I have a silly question. You called them candle boxes, did you actually include candles?
The reason I ask is, I had thought about spice racks this year, but if you fill them with spices that gets pricey. Some candles can also.

Todd Burch
11-19-2003, 12:26 PM
Don, I did buy some shorty candles and put in a couple of them. All the rest, and the majority, got homemade cookies in their boxes.

I'm not a turner, and I'm not a cook. :D

Todd.