PDA

View Full Version : Arts and crafts book rack

Dan Forman
01-10-2007, 4:03 AM
I made this sliding book rack based on one that Mac McDonnel posted here last spring. He was kind enough to send a copy of the plan he made for the class at American Sycamore Woodworker's Retreat which he taught. I was prepared to go without the plan, but I'm sure having it saved some grief that I likely would have suffered trying to do it on my own, as I'm still limited in the practical experience department.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/Woodwork/P1010588.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/Woodwork/P1010587.jpg

I did simplify one aspect of it which only Mac would likely notice, as I was working to deadline, and thought that design element added more ways to screw it up. Next one, I'll do the original way. The other change was using lacewood instead of the qs oak of which the original was built. It adjusts from 12.5" capacity to 25". Oops, I guess there was one other thing, I left out a quartet of decorative square mortices on the upper portion of the bookends. I thought they would be superfluous given the pronounced figure of the wood.

Dan

Karin Voorhis
01-10-2007, 7:13 AM
THis looks like a fun very lovely project. Love the choice of wood you used too.

Terry Hatfield
01-10-2007, 7:21 AM
Beautiful job Dan!!! The wood is amazing!!

t

Charles McKinley
01-10-2007, 9:52 AM
Very nice! I thought that was a wild grain pattern for QS Oak.

Jim Becker
01-10-2007, 9:55 AM
Dan, outstanding!

Don Bullock
01-10-2007, 9:55 AM
That wood grain is fantastic for this project. It's simple beautiful. You did a fantastic job.

D.McDonnel "Mac"
01-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Good Job! My instructions must not have been too confusing!

I am so used to the 4 square holes in the end pieces it looked funny at first but I think you are right in the end, the grain of the lacewood probably makes them unecessary.

It looks like the omitted design element was the angled sides of the base portion of the rack. They do add a lot of work.

Mac

Dan Gill
01-10-2007, 10:34 AM
I really like that design. The lacewood is, of course, just fantastic. Great work!

Charlie Schultz
01-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Mac,
Any chance you could post the plans here? Thanks.

Martin Lutz
01-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Now that looks like it was fun. Great Job!

Gary Keedwell
01-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Mac,
Any chance you could post the plans here? Thanks.

:) I too, would like the plans if it isn't too much trouble.

Thanx in advance,

Gary K.

D.McDonnel "Mac"
01-10-2007, 1:32 PM
I have the class notes I prepared for my students at American Sycamore when I taught this class last year. It is a PDF file, 543 kb! Therin lies the problem. Post size is limited to 107 kb for pdf.

I'm happy to share but someone tell me how. Could it be posted as an article in the articles forum?

Here is the rack in QSWO

54826 54827

glenn bradley
01-10-2007, 2:24 PM
I agree that the decorative mortises would get lost in the figure. Good choice and nice looking project. Well done.

glenn bradley
01-10-2007, 2:25 PM
Mac, the plans forum here will accept up to 2MB and will also accept .zip files. You may want to try that. Like others I would like to get my hands on them. that little rack looks fun!

D.McDonnel "Mac"
01-10-2007, 4:09 PM
I just tried to post a zip file to the plans forum with out success. I'll try again tomorrow.

MAc

Dan Forman
01-10-2007, 5:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments, and a big thanks to Mac for coming up with this project in the first place. I knew I wanted to do one as soon as I saw his. I hope there is a way to get the plan up to the plans forum.

When I ran across this wood at my favorite lumber yard, I just had to take some home, never having seen such wide figure in lacewood before. It is just on certain sections of the board, other parts, such as the rails, are the more familiar, smaller leopard like spots.

Mac---Guilty as charged re: angled sides for the base, just didn't want to risk messing it up by adding another level of complexity, as I'm still a bit of a klutz as far as spatial orientation and such. Still have to make one for me, so I'll try that on the next one.

Dan