PDA

View Full Version : Knocking down the Xmas list.

Brad Hammond
11-18-2003, 10:41 PM
Here's some cedar lined pine boxes for a friend's daughters. geez.......when i was resawing some of the cedar my whole shop was pink. i gotta get a DC system.........lol
thanx for looking...........critiques welcome.

brad

Bob Lasley
11-18-2003, 10:51 PM
Nice looking boxes, Brad. Are those dovetails or box joints? Can't quite tell from the angle. What are the dimensions?

Bob

Todd Burch
11-18-2003, 10:52 PM
Ummm, box joints - my favorite!

Brad, it takes a little more time, but taking an extra hour or two to cut the pith out of #2 pine would really help with the looks. Plus, from a stability standpoint, getting rid of the juvenile wood around the pith would help keep everything flat up to the point that you were ready to assemble the box. Now that it's assembled, movement isn't really as big a concern.

Another comment is to plan your box joints so the grooves for the top and bottom don't show up on the front. (Or you can plug them.) I purposely make my grooves appear on the fronts and back of drawers, and then the false front covers them up.

I wish I had some time to make some Christmas presents. I'm sure that whoever receives them will be very appreciative! Good job! Todd.

(Oh, and get a dust collector. Your lungs will thank you.)

Todd Burch
11-18-2003, 10:54 PM
Upon further inspection - it looks like you did plug the grooves - with a contrasting wood! c-l-e-v-e-r!!!

Brad Hammond
11-18-2003, 11:18 PM
Upon further inspection - it looks like you did plug the grooves - with a contrasting wood! c-l-e-v-e-r!!!

hehe...........plugged them with cedar.....lol yes they're box joints. i initially made stopped dados for the tops and bottoms, but i wanted a little more......."umph" for the cedar bands running the length of the box. i recut the dados to expose them so i could plug them.

i struggled with the idea of using the piths and finally decided to use those boards due to the contrast of the pink heartwood.
ran the idea and a pic or two by my friend and she liked it.

i cant get anything by you guys!!! lol i'll keep trying hehe

thanx for the kind words.........and a big thanx for the words of advice!

brad

ooh......forgot...........dimensions 12x24x12, 10x24x12, 10x20x10