PDA

View Full Version : Shaker Clock comments from Steve Wargo

Ron Brese
01-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Steve Wargo had some nice comments about the Shaker clock I posted in my intro, so I thought if you guys don't mind I will tell you how that clock got me in trouble with my wife.

I made the clock as a spec piece, which is unusual because I seldom do spec pieces. It was made from local walnut, it features a custom dial face, a 14 day German made movement and antique glass in the bonnet. It is my interpretation of the Watervliet Shaker clock made by one of the Young's either Isaac or Benjamin I don't remember now.( Clocks are one of the few Shaker items that can be attributed to an individual) I put the clock in a show and it did not sell, but that was ok because Julie and I had gotten quite attached to the clock. Some months later just before Christmas a friend of mine stopped by and asked if I was still interested in selling the clock? That evening when Julie got home from work I informed her that "I had good news and bad news, the good news is that I came into quite a sum of money today, the bad news is I sold the clock." Julie was not amused.

Martin Shupe
01-09-2007, 11:07 PM
I think it's time to make your wife a new clock. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I like that clock and it is on my long list of Shaker pieces to make. I am going to attend C.H. Becksvoort's Shaker clock class at Kelly Mehler's this summer. I am interested in your source for movements as well as your custom dial, as I will need to order both prior to the class.

The clock I will make is also based on a Young design, but it is the smaller version that hangs on the wall.

Mike Cutler
01-10-2007, 5:20 AM
Nice work Ron. The clock looks fantastic. We'll be looking forward to seeing the new one that you build for Julie.:D, ;)

Bill Grumbine
01-10-2007, 8:35 AM
Julie was not amused.

At least she didn't clean your clock for you! Anyway, I hope not. :D Very nice work Ron.

Bill

Ron Brese
01-10-2007, 8:37 AM
Mike Julie is looking forward to that too, and she reminds me on a regular basis.

ron

Bill Grumbine
01-10-2007, 8:40 AM
I like that clock and it is on my long list of Shaker pieces to make.

Anything in progress at the moment Martin? (nudge nudge ;) ;) ) I have no room to talk of course.

Bill

Jim Becker
01-10-2007, 10:20 AM
I think it's time to make your wife a new clock. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Yup, that is indeed something on your "honey-do" list!

Dan Gill
01-10-2007, 10:32 AM
That clock is gorgeous. Unfortunately, in my house I'd have to bolt it to the floor or my Chessie would knock it over. There's a reason all my furniture has a wide base . . .

John Timberlake
01-10-2007, 10:56 AM
I've run into the same problem, except that she just refuses to let me sell some things. Just make her another clock.

Don Bullock
01-10-2007, 11:20 AM
...That evening when Julie got home from work I informed her that "I had good news and bad news, the good news is that I came into quite a sum of money today, the bad news is I sold the clock." Julie was not amused.

Wow! You're a brave man. I wouldn't be able to do that.;) :D I hope your wife enjoys the clock you're making for her.:rolleyes:

Ron Brese
01-11-2007, 2:25 PM
Dan, you certainly need to locate a piece like this out of a traffic area. I have a yellow lab and while we had the clock I had put counterweight in the bottom of the case.