PDA

View Full Version : Roasted Hardwood

Darryl Lunn
01-09-2007, 6:57 PM
My father-in-law took me for a tour of the family business during the holidays and showed me one of their new products that the are distributing. It's roasted hardwood (called that due to the dring process) and comes in either soft maple or yellow birch, but has the colour of walnut. In comparison to some walnut I have the roasted looks a little darker. I brought some samples home and plan to use it in a few projects; thought you all might find this interesting.

The picture doesn't show the true colour of the wood. It is very uniform in colour, just problem with lighting.

Darryl

scott kinninger
01-09-2007, 7:55 PM
looks like walnut to me. is that color uniform throughout the thickness of the board?

Darryl Lunn
01-09-2007, 7:58 PM
Scott,

Colour is uniform throughout the board.

Mark Vaughn
01-10-2007, 2:56 PM
how much does it go for?

Robert Mickley
01-10-2007, 4:38 PM
I've got some roasted wood. It came from the local aluminum extrusion plant. The blocking gets like that after it goes through the furnace for heat treating I turned a couple pens out of it and gave them to the shippers. Got me loaded and out the door a lot quicker after that. :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-10-2007, 4:50 PM
I am ondering how much of the lumber's integrity is left after it is slightly carbonized. Or is that a carmelization of the sugars in the wood? Less potential damage maybe?

Jim Becker
01-10-2007, 6:24 PM
Or is that a carmelization of the sugars in the wood?

Or if it requires whipped creame as part of the finish... :D :D :D

Seriously, interesting product. I have the same questions, however.

Eric Sabo
01-10-2007, 7:56 PM
Is the "family business" Curtis Lumber?

I know that Curtis Lumber near here touts that, I've been curious since for all the walnut projects on my horizon, walnut is a bit expensive.

Darryl Lunn
01-10-2007, 9:44 PM
Eric - family business is Goodfellow Lumber based in Montreal with locations throughout Canada and some in the US. Have a look at their website.

http://www.goodfellowinc.com/

Darryl

Eric Sabo
01-11-2007, 9:33 AM
Ah, looks like Roasted Hardwood is starting to spread. I'll be paying attention to how it works out for you.

Thanks,
Eric