PDA

View Full Version : How important is having a quill lock on a drill press?

Steve Rybicki
11-18-2003, 7:42 PM
I've been lurking for a bit and I finally have a reason to post a question for the knowledgable people on this site.

I'm in the market for my first drill press. I'm guessing one of my main uses for it, will be for sanding curved pieces, with a drum sander attachment. It would seem that a quill lock would be convenient to keep it in the lowered position, but most of the lower-end floor model machines I've been looking at, don't have this option. Can the table be raised to the resting height of the bit, or is there another way to easily hold the quill down? Thanks,

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-18-2003, 7:56 PM
Steve, the Quill lock on a drill press does come in mighty handy, especially when using the press for drum sanding. Sure, you can adjust the table height to meet the needs of the sanding operation, but it is a hassle to have to readjust the table up or down a tad to get to another fresh section of sandpaper on the drum. Personally, I have never had a Drill Press without a Quill Lock, and I am sure I would miss it if I didn't have one. However, if I never had one to begin with, I probably would just get used to the fact that I had to adjust the table. Mostly personal preference, and a geared Drill Press Table with a crank handle for adjustment would make the abscence of the quill lock much more tolerable as well. If I were in the market for a new Drill Press, the Quill Lock feature would be a must have, but just my opinion. Good luck on the search for your Drill Press...........they are very handy to have. ;)

Wolf Kiessling
11-18-2003, 7:57 PM
I've been lurking for a bit and I finally have a reason to post a question for the knowledgable people on this site.

I'm in the market for my first drill press. I'm guessing one of my main uses for it, will be for sanding curved pieces, with a drum sander attachment. It would seem that a quill lock would be convenient to keep it in the lowered position, but most of the lower-end floor model machines I've been looking at, don't have this option. Can the table be raised to the resting height of the bit, or is there another way to easily hold the quill down? Thanks,

I think the quill lock is fairly important. I've only had my drill press about 4, maybe 5, months and have used the quill lock several times (sanding). Take a look at the Grizzly 7944 model if you're looking for a floor model, it should have the lock. I have the 7943 model, which is the same as the 7944 except it is a bench model, and it does have the quill lock.

Rick Haigh
11-18-2003, 8:23 PM
When I was looking for a drill press, I thought a quill lock would be important, but to tell you the truth I have never had a need for one. The drill press is awesome and is a good investment.

Rick

John Weber
11-18-2003, 8:51 PM
Steve,

I would try to find one with a lock. When you need it you need it. Not as important if you have a OSS, but still useful.

John

Bob_Hammond
11-18-2003, 9:16 PM
I had a Delta 12" benchtop, and I didn't miss a quill lock, but I really didn't like that it had a small travel (distance you can move the quill) and it didn't have the threaded rod type of depth stop.

Bob

John Miliunas
11-18-2003, 11:22 PM
OK, someone had to point this out, so it may just as well be me and I imagine I will get flamed for it from many of the guys using one in the proposed fashion. From the FWIW Department, a drill press is not designed for a lot of lateral force to be applied to it. That will eventually cause the bearings to deteriorate prematurely and, at best, you'll develope excessive runout. (Well, until the bearing give way completely.) IMHO, you need to dertermine how MUCH you're going to be using the DP in this manner. If you see yourself using it like this a LOT, you'd be better off with one of the OSS (Oscilating Spindle Sander) units and keep the DP for it's intended North/South use. Again, just my opinion and you know what they're worth! :cool:

David Rose
11-19-2003, 2:57 AM
Steve, I'm not sure of the proper way to do this, but I use my quill lock every time I set the depth for a drilled hole. I pull the bit down to the work, lock it, then move the depth adjuster to the depth I want to drill. Like I said, I've just done it this way for 35 years so it may just be a habit.

David

Craig Honeysett
11-19-2003, 7:51 AM
I use my quill lock quite a bit, but something to look at though is if the DP has a depth stop that you adjust by rotating it around the shaft and tightening with a thumb screw, it also acts as a quill lock by rotating it 360 degrees in the other direction. Might be something to look for.

Dave Brandt
11-19-2003, 8:21 AM
My press doesn't have a quill lock, but I do use it occasionally for drum sanding profiles. I clamp a 3/4" piece of ply or pine that has a semi-circle (about the size of the drum) cut out on one edge. Surround the drum with this cut-out, clamp, and use the ply as the table top. That way, the very bottom of the drum is below the "new table" and you don't have to worry about leaving an unsanded area of the work piece. I hope this makes sense to you, 'cuz it's early.

Steve Rybicki
11-19-2003, 8:32 AM
From the FWIW Department, a drill press is not designed for a lot of lateral force to be applied to it. That will eventually cause the bearings to deteriorate prematurely and, at best, you'll develope excessive runout. (Well, until the bearing give way completely.)

Good point! I'm assumming others have used a drill press in this way. Has anyone had a negative experince doing this? I'm not sure how much I'll be using it in this manner (possibly an hour or two a month), but at this time, the number of tools I own is limited and I'm sure that the drill press will come before the OSS. If I'm likely to quickly damage the drill press, I can keep preparing curved surfaces by hand, but I'd like to take advantage of the power tool, if the drill press can handle a fair amount lateral force without damage.

Thanks to everyone for their input so far.

Lynn Sonier
11-19-2003, 9:07 AM
I have a lower end model Sears drill press. I cut a piece of wood in a long taper and store it right above the drill press. I lower the quill where I need it and slide the stick in as far as it was go and, voila. I still wish I had purchased one with a lock.

Bob Lasley
11-19-2003, 9:47 AM
Steve,

You might want to take a look at the Shop Fox drill press that does double duty as an oscillating spindle sander. They are not very expensive.

John,

With all due respect, I have heard the argument about drill press bearings not taking side loading for a long time, but........I have never heard anyone say they had to replace their drill press bearings. I have also never heard of a drill press manufacturer warn against side loading. If you think about it, the top bearing of a drill press is side loaded from the tension of the drive belt. JMHO, of course.

Bob

Charles McKinley
11-19-2003, 10:10 AM
Hi Steve,

Bob's suggestion of the Shop Fox Oscillating DP They are available from Grizzly, www.grizzly.com if you do not have a SF dealer near you. model #H0625 is $110 and #H0626 is $219.

If you do not go this route Dave's suggestion of using a piece of wood to make a table that puts the end of the drum below you piece is a great idea.

The Shop Fax has a hole in the table with rings to fit the diffferent drums and a hook up for dust collection

Good luck and have fun,

Steve Rybicki
11-19-2003, 12:28 PM
Bob and Charles, thanks for the suggestion. I checked out Grizzly's drill presses previously, and was hoping for something with a longer spindle travel then what their lower-end models have. Even the larger G7947 doesn't have a quill lock, so I'm not seeing exactly what I'm hoping for. I'm guessing the oscillating drill presses must have a quill lock to support the sanding feature of this drill press. I'll contact Grizzly and see if I can get more details. It might be easier to live with the shorter spindle travel, then to not have the quill lock. Decisions.... Thanks,

Roger Fitzsimonds
11-19-2003, 12:58 PM
Hi Steve,

I have the Ho626 model of the Shop Focx drill press. It is a great drill press. the OSS part is pretty slick, you add an extra belt and it oscillates. It does not have the travel of a dedicated OSS but it worls pretty well. The drillpress it self is very good I am suprised how much I use it. It does not have a quill lock that I know of. I just raise the table or hold the quill adjustment to run the nuts down for depth adjustment.

Good luck in your search

Roger

Steve Rybicki
11-19-2003, 5:01 PM
It does not have a quill lock that I know of. I just raise the table or hold the quill adjustment to run the nuts down for depth adjustment.Roger

Roger, that is interesting. Thanks,

Can someone tell me if a shorter spindle travel is that limiting? Can I also crank up the table after drilling with it's maximum spindle travel and then re-drill the same hole for greater depth?

David Rose
11-19-2003, 5:28 PM
Steve, personally, I think it is. Especially cutting with something like a forstner that is designed to cut anywhere (including the edge of an existing hole). When I change the height on the table on my Delta the alignment changes. It is simple to cut the power and realign the bit, but I still don't get as accurate a hole. And the table height lock on my Delta is a pit to loosen and tighten. Mine has to be really cranked down to hold, and mine is against the wall so the lever is "back there" to get to.

David

Roger, that is interesting. Thanks,

Can someone tell me if a shorter spindle travel is that limiting? Can I also crank up the table after drilling with it's maximum spindle travel and then re-drill the same hole for greater depth?