PDA

View Full Version : King size cherry sleigh bed

Martin Lutz
01-09-2007, 5:23 PM
Hi All, Its been quite a while since I have had time to post. I thought I would share one of my latest projects. This is a king size, cherry/cherry veneer sleigh bed I made for some friends. It definetely had its challeges. I have not veneered such a large curved panel before but I think it came out OK. I hope the pics come out, I battled for an hour or so to get them to upload. thanks for looking.

Martin

Richard Wolf
01-09-2007, 5:42 PM
Beautiful project Martin, very well done.

Richard

Roy Wall
01-09-2007, 5:48 PM
wow Martin!! What an undertaking!

Looks terrific!

Bruce Page
01-09-2007, 6:02 PM
You made that for some friends? I bet they are thrilled to death!

Beautiful piece!

Jerry LaBelle
01-09-2007, 6:28 PM
Hats off to you Martin! Nice Job!

Jerry

John Schreiber
01-09-2007, 6:35 PM
Magnificent. You have some very lucky friends.

James Stokes
01-09-2007, 6:35 PM
Really a nice job. That is something I would like to make.

Howie French
01-09-2007, 7:59 PM
Martin - Now thats Bed ! Great Job.
Your friends must be very Happy.

Howie

Steve Kohn
01-09-2007, 8:43 PM
Just last week my daughter asked me to make exactly the same bed frame as part of a cherry bedroom set I am starting on.

Details...Details.....How did you make this great project?

Jim Becker
01-09-2007, 8:51 PM
Oh, boy, that's a beauty!! I'm thinking about something like this someday for a project, too!

(The pictures are quite pixelated...what software are you using to prepare them for web upload? Perhaps we can help you overcome that.)

Martin Lutz
01-09-2007, 8:57 PM
Thanks for the comments, always appreciated.

Jim, any help would be great. I am just using the HP software that came with my camera. I finally achieved a small enough file to upload by reducing the compression. I also have access to Kodak's version of the same.

Steve, I will be glad to post the details. I just need a little time to pull it together. Thanks for the interest.

Jim Becker
01-09-2007, 9:24 PM
Martin, I suspect that the HP software is the culprit. The camera I gave my dad a couple years ago came with it and it's pretty limited. In the interim, try using a smaller physical size with less (not more) compression. 320x240...a bit small, but you should at least be able to retain some detail without exceeding the 100kb limit. Ask your Valentine (!) for a nice copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements...as you have many, many projects to share with your friends at SMC!!! LOL!

Martin Lutz
01-09-2007, 9:31 PM
picture test

Irvin Cooper
01-09-2007, 9:59 PM
Martin,

Quite a beautiful piece! Much impressed. Can you post a little detail on how you did the curved panels for us who have never done such?

I love the "exit" sign in the bedroom..... :)

Irvin Cooper
01-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Is the plan of your own design, or can you give us the source?

Ron Brese
01-09-2007, 10:08 PM
That's a very nice bed Martin, did you have to change the scale of the headboard and footboard to accomodate the King Size dimensions? Your bed seems in nice proportion unlike a lot of King Sized beds.

Ron Brese

Jerry Olexa
01-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Martin, VERY nice work!! Good pics too...

Martin Shupe
01-09-2007, 11:08 PM
WOW!

I am honored to share my name with such a fine woodworker!

Beautiful!!!

One of the other Martin's, not quite so talented.

Martin Lutz
01-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Irvin, details coming. I have a whole series of construction pics. As soon as I can post pics clearly I will gladly share them and some comentary. As far the 'EXIT" Sign, I took the bed to a local public facility to photograph, I needed a room big enough to be able to get the whole bed in the pic.

The design was created in my head from looking at what I liked and didnt like about other sleigh beds. I really like a curved end panel to give it that true sleigh look as well as the flow of the lines throughout. IMHO it just doesnt look right unless the lines of the head and footboards flow into the siderails with ease.

Ron, I went through several full scale models in 1/2" MDF to get the lines and proportions that looked right to me. thanks for the comment.

Mike Tempel
01-10-2007, 1:24 AM
Umm, looking for the right words.......... "WOW" seems to cover it. Very nice work indeed. Absolutely beautiful!!

Tom Sontag
01-10-2007, 2:35 AM
Umm, looking for the right words.......... "WOW" seems to cover it. Very nice work indeed. Absolutely beautiful!!

Ditto Mike's comment. This is the nicest sleigh bed I have seen. Well done Martin!

I also will be looking for details on that veneering moment.

Hans Braul
01-10-2007, 7:02 AM
Great job Martin - congrats. Lucky friends indeed!

How easy is it to take the bed apart for transport? Must weigh a ton!

Hans

Karin Voorhis
01-10-2007, 7:11 AM
WOW amazing great workmanship. very nice job.....

Larry Crim
01-10-2007, 8:07 AM
Very nice Martin I am looking forward to the construction pics.
Larry

Dave Bureau
01-10-2007, 8:15 AM
I don't think you have to take it apart for transport. Just hook up a couple of reindeer and off you gooooo... ho ho ho.

Great job!!!

Rich Torino
01-10-2007, 9:32 AM
Martin,
Great job... was it your own design???

Larry Fox
01-10-2007, 9:33 AM
Gorgeous piece Martin - very nicely done.

Charles McKinley
01-10-2007, 9:38 AM
Very Nice Martin!!!!

I too eagerly await the details!

Lars Thomas
01-10-2007, 9:41 AM
Impressive piece of work. Lars

John Timberlake
01-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Great looking bed. Quite a challenge with getting a large piece like that veneered. You did a fantastic job.

Martin Lutz
01-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Hans, the bed comes apart into basically four pieces and your right, its not the lightest piece I've ever built. The headboard being the heaviest, I used the flat four wheeled dollies to move it around the shop. The hardest part was getting it up the U-shaped staicase in their house. Its all 8/4 cherry and the veneered panels are 1" thick.

Rich, it is combination of a bunch of different beds that I looked at and used what I liked about them.

Details will be coming, probably not today, full schedule.

Thanks for all the comments.