PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing new equipment for home shop

David Wambolt
01-09-2007, 5:16 PM
Hello all,

I'm a new member here and am in the process of setting up a home workshop. As I've gotten a bit older I've come to appreciate quality equipment and tools. I own a fair amount of metal working equipment from Bandsaws to TIG welders. I usually buy nice equipment and take care of it so that I can get many years reliable service.

Recently I decided to start purchasing some wood-working equipment for my home shop. I own a lot of contractor style tools for doing remodel work, but very little in terms of larger equipment. The time has come and now I'm trying to assemble a quality shop without totally killing the budget.

Today I went to Sacramento Machinery Co. and bought a Sawstop Tablesaw. I went with the 52" fence, 5hp motor, extra 10" blade brake, 8" dado brake, dado insert, and an extra zero clearance insert. I also picked up a Forrest Woodworker II blade while I was there. I have yet to go pick up the saw, but they have it in stock and it's all mine. I need to locate an HTC mobile base for this saw first. I was going to buy the 3hp version but my buddy talked me into the 5hp. I guess when you are spending that much, what's another $200. I drooled over the floor model for about an hour before making the purchase. Comparing it to the Generals and Powermatics they had on the floor, the Sawstop saw just seemed to stand above the rest. So with that said and a shakey hand, I handed them my Amex card. Ahhhhhhhh! :)

So now that I have the table saw out of the way, I'd like to pick up a bandsaw. I have tried to research on several forums and have narrowed down my choices to the Grizzly G0514X, Bridgewood PBS-440, and the Steel City 18". I know the MM is great and the Laguna is good, but price wise these saws fall into what I'm looking at with teh Bridgewood being at the top of the scale. I'm leaning towards the Grizzly as it's price is attractive and it seems to be a quality machine from what I have read. I have to say I don't like buying stuff without being able to see it first hand, but I have much faith in the recommendations handed down by many on these forums. I know the Bridgewood at the current sale price is very attractive, but with shipping it will run me about $2,100 and that's about $750 over the Grizzly. I won't use this thing everyday, but I still want a quality machine that I do not regret purchasing. However I don't want to seem like "More money than brains" because buying the Sawstop at the premimum price was hard to do, but I know it will give me many years of flawless service.

I plan to add a router lift Sawstop extension table. Any recommendations on a good router lift and fence would be apprecaited. I have a new in box Hitachi M12V 3-1/4hp router I would like to use if possible.

Additionally I'll look at purchasing a 6-8" jointer. I know I just missed a deal on the Delta X5. I have a 12" Makita planer and a 6" benchtop Palmgren Jointer. The benchtop will get me by for now so it's not critical, but I would like a nice fullsize unit. For my metal working I bought a Wilton 1-1/2hp 12" Disc, 6" belt sander. So it can be dual purpose for all of my rough sanding needs. I'm also looking for a drill press as I only have a somewhat cheezy benchtop unit right now. The Steel City floor standing model with 3/4hp looks fairly good for the price. I'd like to keep the total price under $600 for a drill press unless but would consider spending a bit more if I could justify it.

Lastly I need to set up a dust collection system. This will be top on my list. I figure the machines I'll have the require dust collection are TS, BS, Jointer and the Sander. Plus I'll have some other benchtop tools that I would like to be able to hook up as required. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a system as I'm a beginner, but I would like something I can duct with PVC or similar in my 20x24 shop and have good dust collection. I like to be organized and don't mind spending the money to do things right. I just finished building my shop and am still waiting on electrical.

Sorry if I asked any not so good questions. I have been reading for weeks and sometimes it's easy to miss a recommendation here or there. I think I've picked some decent equipment and could use some recommendations if you've got the time. I know it comes down to being my dollar to spend, but hey I'd rather ask and be confident in my decision than just wing it. :)

Thanks,
David

Richard Keller
01-09-2007, 6:06 PM
I plan to add a router lift Sawstop extension table. Any recommendations on a good router lift and fence would be apprecaited. I have a new in box Hitachi M12V 3-1/4hp router I would like to use if possible.

The M12V is a good router, but don't use it with a router lift. The whole idea and advantage of a router lift is built around taking the motor out of the router and clamping it directly into the lift. Just buy another router, you can never have to many. I have 5 and 2 laminate trimmers, and it's getting close to workable :) ...

Check out http://www.jessem.com/main_page.htm for the best lift system on the market.

Richard.

Roy Wall
01-09-2007, 6:25 PM
David,
Weldome to SMC!! Good folks here.....

I'd look at the ONeida super Gorilla....I have the 2hp model...the 3hp would be plenty as I have similar machines - excellent DC.

BTW - my hand was shaking too as I got the Sawstop 18 months ago...but the pain has healed..Enjoy your tools and work safe!

David Wambolt
01-09-2007, 6:36 PM
The M12V is a good router, but don't use it with a router lift. The whole idea and advantage of a router lift is built around taking the motor out of the router and clamping it directly into the lift. Just buy another router, you can never have to many. I have 5 and 2 laminate trimmers, and it's getting close to workable :) ...

Check out http://www.jessem.com/main_page.htm for the best lift system on the market.

Richard.

Thank you Richard. I do have a newish Bosch 1617 router but is there a favorite on the forum that I should consider for this duty? I have three routers right now and was looking at the Bosch Colt to act as a small easy to handle router for smaller tasks. I still have my first router which is about a 6 year old Craftsman Professional fixed base. I bought the M12V from Amazon when they were practically giving them away about a year ago.

Thanks again for the info! Much appreciated.

Glen Blanchard
01-09-2007, 6:50 PM
Welcome to a fellow SawStop owner.

I absolutely love my router lift - Jointech's Digital Router lift. Great Product - Great Company - Outstanding customer service.

http://www.jointech.com/smartliftdigital.htm

Gary Curtis
01-09-2007, 7:05 PM
I was in the same boat as you when I moved North of you in Trinity County. I fussed over my selection to outfit my new shop for more than a year. Now that you've got your major tool taken care of, select a bandsaw. Though I prefer new stuff, I bought a used Grizzly 18" bandsaw for $200 and a killer Walker-Turner drill press for $35.

My reasons here are that there aren't extreme improvements in this equipment over the years. The SawStop, on the other hand, is revolutionary.

Look at the latest issue of Fine Woodworking to see a test on all the routers made for table-top installation. I bought a new, unused Lamello biscuit joiner on eBay for 33% of the current cost. Got a Festool sander, used only a few times, for 60% of new cost. Be patient and the best stuff comes up for sale.

Sacramento is a great place to be if you are trolling for woodworking equipment. And Sacramento Machinery sales has a great staff to advise you. They get a fair amount of used shop equipment in trade from shops upgrading their tools. Save money anywhere you can, because there are surely enough people out there who want to charge you outrageous prices.

Oh, and I also opted for a 5hp Baldor motor on my General 350 saw. I got it with General's sliding table. Purrs like a kitten.

Gary Curtis

Bob Reeve
01-09-2007, 7:23 PM
David,

Welcome to the SMC from Modesto. Sacramento MAchinery is a great place and you have picked a great saw. I second the opinion of the Jointech Digital router lift with a PC7518 installed in it.

Bob

Don Bullock
01-09-2007, 7:38 PM
First of all welcome to the "Creek." I too am starting to set up shop, but I don't have a budget as big as yours. The SawStop is on my list of "Must Haves," but it will have to wait until I can set up my shop fully and don't have to share the space with two cars. It's a fantastic saw. You'll love it. As for the other tools, others here know much more about them than I do. You'll find some excellent help here. Eventhough the advice is often conflicting, it's helpful to get several opinions before you lay out that much money. Good luck, keep us posted and as Jim always saws, show the pictures.

David Wambolt
01-09-2007, 9:11 PM
Welcome to a fellow SawStop owner.

I absolutely love my router lift - Jointech's Digital Router lift. Great Product - Great Company - Outstanding customer service.

http://www.jointech.com/smartliftdigital.htm

Glen,

Thanks for the link. I had not seen this router lift before and it looks to be a winner. I think I will pony up for this along with a PC 7518 router unless someone can recommend something different.

Glen Blanchard
01-09-2007, 9:15 PM
Glen,

Thanks for the link. I had not seen this router lift before and it looks to be a winner. I think I will pony up for this along with a PC 7518 router unless someone can recommend something different.

That's the router I have in my Jointech lift. Wonderful combination.

Jim Becker
01-09-2007, 9:17 PM
Dave, welcome. Congrats on your new SawStop and the start of your shop-equipping journey.

There have been at least two threads in the last week or so that discussed the band saws you are considering...you may find them useful and a great way to learn the "Advanced Search" feature at SMC!

David Wambolt
01-09-2007, 9:20 PM
That's the router I have in my Jointech lift. Wonderful combination.

Any recommendation on a fence? Sorry for all the questions!

Glen Blanchard
01-09-2007, 9:24 PM
Any recommendation on a fence? Sorry for all the questions!

Do you mean a fence dedicated for the router? Do you not have the SawStop Bies clone? If you will be getting the Jointech router lift, you may want to look at their fences.

Jim Becker
01-09-2007, 9:25 PM
Dave...for things like router table fences, I'm a proponent of "roll your own" split fence unless you want to invest in something like Incra's product that has unique capablities. Projects like that are great ways to use your tools as well as get into the swing of things. And they save you money.

Al Garay
01-09-2007, 9:38 PM
Wow. I hope you get mileage on your AMEX.

You will not be dissapointed with the Grizzly G0514X bandsaw and the Steel City drill press.

You will have one heck of a nice shop. Hope you take advantage of it.

glenn bradley
01-09-2007, 11:16 PM
7518 is a beaut but I went with the Milwaukee 5625. Very happy.

David Wambolt
01-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Thank you all for the great information. I will continue to research as time allows and if anyone knows how to search on a forum, it's me. I'm a seasoned forum professional. lol. I have pretty much decided to go with the Grizzly G0514X Bandsaw and the Steel City drill press. Other items are up in the air, but after comparing the PC 7518 and the Milwaukee 5625, I'm leaning towards Milwaukee. Thanks for the recommendation Glenn.

I will post pics as the shop comes together. I still have much electrical, drywall, HVAC, dust collection and security work to do. My garage shop is only 20x24 and I built it myself. It has two 12x8' garage doors acting as a pass through to the very rear of the yard where I'll have another 50' driveway to keep a project car and a storage building/shed for lawn equipment or other items I don't use much. I only went with an 8' ceiling because it matches the house and neighborhood. I would have loved 10' ceilings, but the building would have looked out of place and it was important that it didn't look like a sore thumb in the back yard. It sure would make things easier for dust collection if I had more ceiling height.

A lot has changed in the last few weeks with my plans and only a month ago I was looking at selling most of my equipment because I was in the hiring process for the California Highway Patrol. I'm 29 and was working really hard to make a career with the CHP, however in 2001 I suffered a badly broken left leg (double compound, tibia) and doing all the running trying to prepare myself has brought back some old injuries I don't think I'll be able to get around. Day to day life it does not bother me, but six solid months of running at the Academy would be sure misery for me and make failure a very probable reality. So I made the decision to stay with my current career in Information Technologies and in doing so that negates my need to sell my equipment. If I had made it into the CHP I would have needed to move from Sacramento to the Bay Area and on CHP salary, that means a small appartment at best. I would hate to store 20+k in tools never to know when I'd make it back to them. I figured now that I'm not doing that and make good money, I might as well try to set up my shop like I've been wanting to do. I still have other metal equipment I want to buy like a stomp shear and slip roll, but I'm pretty well set to cut and weld stuff with about every possible technology. A waterjet would be nice too... lol. I'm dissapointed about the CHP as it's been a dream of mine for over 14 years, but at the same time, excited at other prospects in my life. :)

Thanks again.

Mike Heidrick
01-10-2007, 12:28 AM
Glen,

Howdy fellow 5hp sawstop owner!! You and I forke out about teh same cash recently. I have NO regrets. This saw is so awesome you will not care less.

Lets talk router lifts first. That Jointech is awesome no doubt.
I just did something that is pretty cool though that might give you a different perspective on lifts. I have the Woodpecker fast pitch PRL that I love. It was made for the 7518 wich I had until last Friday. Last Friday received 3 new routers that I bought from HeavyDutyTools.net - bought them for one really low price) and one was the Milwaukee 5625. I decided to sell my 7518 and use the Milwaukee as the reviews on it are wonderful. Called Justin at Woodpecker and for $25 Woodpecker sent me a new clamp piece that bolts to the PRL (not a collett). It is a different piece in that the 5625 has this lift screw attachment and this new piece is machined to accept that screw. Point being in all this talk is that the PRL will work with both the Porter Cable 7518 and the Milwaukee 5625. This may not make a difference to you but you never know what routers you may have in the future.

On to router fences. I used to have the 7518/PRL in the extension of my Delta saw. I built a new table when I bought the sawstop. I went with an Incra LS Pro fence for the router. I built what I call my RouterStop station so it is a seperate table but looks like it belongs with my sawstop. Check the pictures out in the link in my profile (click the link to photobucket from my page).

For a fence for the extension table I would most likely use one that clamps to the T-Glide fence system. I did this with my Delta Unifence/BigaFence setup. It worked great. I went so far as to get a second fence just for the router fence to clamp to. That made it even better. Only removed it on the huge panel cuts on the saw. The fence I made from hardwood and the extrusion router fence that Craftsman sells. It gave me close to zero clearence and the ability to add holddowns and jigs as needed.

I might even try a clamp on solution for a 17" Incra LS Pro setup for the tablesaw. It would take some creativity but it would work and be removable. I love teh Incra now that I have it.

I went with the HTC Sawstop base as well. I just called HTC and bought it direct. It was $229 plus $17 shipping jut so you have an idea what it costs. I added a second front stop for the other side. It did not move with the one in front but I wanted to ditribute the weight evenly.

Send me a PM if you have any questions I can help with.

You will love the setup you are putting together.

Jojinter talk. That 12" Grizzly is the way to go I think. Have you seen it - the G0609?? That price is a killer for any 8" wants to me. I have a Jet 6" now and to step up I think 12" will be the place to go. Not that I need it but for the money do it once the right way - just like the SawStop.

Let me know if you have questions about installing the sawstop. There are hardwood cleats nailed under the base of the sawstop - nailed top down to the pallet the saw is one. Remove those before tying to slide the saw off the pallet.

Also, pics on my photobucket site will show my 1950s Lincoln IdealArc 225 AC 300amp welder restore pics. It is an awesome stick welder!! Worked great on my rear rake for the tractor! Picked up a Dewalt Portable Metal Bandsaw this year on a Black Friday deal. I love that machine. Ever use one? I put it to work building the frame for my RouterStop!!

Were even close in age and job. 31ysld here. I am a UNIX (IBM AIX) guy for the last 10 years and have been a WebSphere guy the last year or so. Recently just had a first baby as well so life changes all around.

Just read that 5625 post - Get the PRL and you can use either!!

Al Garay
01-10-2007, 1:28 AM
You deserve the new toys. And then hurry up and get married so you have other responsibilities like the rest of us :)

And you deserve a "YOU SUCK"!

Nice job on your shop.

David Wambolt
01-12-2007, 9:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I ordered the HTC base for $229 directly from HTC. It's not currently available, though they expect the next production run to arrive during the week of the 15th. So hopefully I'll see it within a couple of weeks.

I also decided to go pick up my Sawstop table saw today. Originally I planned to use my Honda Ridgeline to tow a rented hydraulic tilt trailer. That would make it easier to get out and move around. I thought about it more and decided just to have them load it in the back of my Ridgeline but was worried the 5' bed wouldn't be big enough (it would have fit fine in hindsight). So I asked my buddy who works for me to use his 2003 Dodge Ram. I grabbed another one of my guys and we headed out to Sacramento Machinery to get it. After about 15 minutes we were on our way going "How the heck are we going to get this out of the back of the truck"? When we saw the truck settle, we knew it weighed in at about 700+ lbs.

Over the last week I had found a Genie Mix-N-Match lift on Craigslist. This lift is like a mini-forklift and lifts 800lbs to a height of 9.5 feet. Unfortunately since I've only had it a few days I didn't have a chance yet to fab a new pair of forks better suited to lifting a pallet. The forks on it now are only about 24" long and I want at least 44" forks on it before lifting a machine like that. So I had to put it on the sidelines, though I know it would have lifted it with the right forks. It's a stout little machine that will most certainly come in handy around the shop. I got it in very good used condition for $300 locally. Just the thought of using it to lift heavier items into the attic, shingles onto the edge of the roof or heavy items out of the back of my truck made it very appealing. Plus it's not huge nor does it weight a ton since the boom is heavy aluminum.

So I was left with two options. Slide the crate out using ramps (scary) or use my engine hoist with four heavy duty ratcheting straps to raise the crate. I opted to go with the hoist and after a bit of rigging we had it floating above the bed of the truck. I do have a pallet jack, but the pump does not work. However I was able to rotate the crate while suspended 90 degrees and lowered it onto my broken pallet jack. At least I can roll the pallet around with ease. Next on my list of equipment - a working pallet jack. :)

I have not uncrated it yet. I'll wait for the mobile base plus I'm still waiting for my 100amp subpanel to be installed.

I'm going to order up a Bandsaw, Dust Collector, mobile bases, and hopefully a router lift in the next week or so. I have not narrowed down my choice of dust collectors yet, though I would like to run ducting preferably along the edge of the ceiling or in attic space. After the Sawstop, my funds are not quite as plentiful. :)

Quite a day but I was GLAD when the Sawstop was down on the ground. $3,700 dangling in the air was scary there for the 30 seconds it took to move the truck and lower it to the ground.

Roy Wall
01-12-2007, 9:32 PM
David,

Be aware there are cleats around the outside of the base...AND....on the inside -- that will have to be removed to slide the saw off the pallet. This keeps the saw very stable for shipment.
Many people take the cleats from the outside only and then try to move the machine....only it won't budge!! Got to take the inside cleats off - open the lower doors and take a peek!! Be careful and enjoy your new saw..

David Wambolt
01-12-2007, 9:41 PM
David,

Be aware there are cleats around the outside of the base...AND....on the inside -- that will have to be removed to slide the saw off the pallet. This keeps the saw very stable for shipment.
Many people take the cleats from the outside only and then try to move the machine....only it won't budge!! Got to take the inside cleats off - open the lower doors and take a peek!! Be careful and enjoy your new saw..

Thanks Roy. I've read many threads on the Sawstop and knew about that 'gotcha' already. She'll be sitting for a few weeks until everything else gets sorted out. I can't wait to make my first cut though. :)

Pete Brown
01-13-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm going to order up a Bandsaw, Dust Collector, mobile bases, and hopefully a router lift in the next week or so. I have not narrowed down my choice of dust collectors yet, though I would like to run ducting preferably along the edge of the ceiling or in attic space. After the Sawstop, my funds are not quite as plentiful. :)

I've been very happy with my Super Dust Gorilla (http://www.oneida-air.com/gorilla_landing.htm). After spending all that money on great tools, don't skimp on the dust collection, it just isn't worth it.

I bought the 2hp, but in hindsite, I probably should have picked up the 3hp. My bandsaw (a minimax mm16) is, like many bandsaws, not very good at dust collection, so I could use the extra draw there as well as in other places.

BTW, I have two Milwaukee 5625 routers each in Woodpeckers router lifts (http://www.woodpeck.com/liftshome.html). (one is a PRL, the other is a quick lift) I've been very happy with the routers and with the lifts.

Pete

Mike Heidrick
01-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Hit up Amazon tonight. 5hp Delta Dust collection for $699 and they had the 14" Variable speed metal and wood cutting Bandsaw for $999. Great prices on both. And then there is always the Shaper deal :)

Dennis Hatchett
01-13-2007, 12:35 AM
I also decided to go pick up my Sawstop table saw today.

I have not uncrated it yet. I'll wait for the mobile base plus I'm still waiting for my 100amp subpanel to be installed.

Quite a day but I was GLAD when the Sawstop was down on the ground. $3,700 dangling in the air was scary there for the 30 seconds it took to move the truck and lower it to the ground.

Reading about all you guys gettin the SawStop makes me jealous but it's just a matter of time for me. You will never regret that $3,700 purchase. As a guitar playing woodworker I rarely pass the blade without thinking about the few near misses I've had in 20 years. It makes me angry that Delta still has no real safety solutions or a riving knife even though I love my Unisaw. I'm pretty careful but it really can happen to anyone.:mad:

Seeing SawStop clean up in the marketplace gives me some satisfaction and hope that other manufacturers will start trying to catch up to them.

David Wambolt
01-15-2007, 3:06 AM
I've made a few more decisions regarding equipment. Based on recommendations, I'm going to go with a Super Dust Gorilla dust collection system. 2hp will probably be okay for my shop, though I may look at 3hp.

I also ordered a new drill press from Amazon. I decided to buy the Delta 20-959LX 20" Variable Speed drill press with Laser and digital readout. This is Delta's new model with the nice table. $854 for this from Amazon with a ship date in the next six weeks. I'll monitor the price until it ships, but I figured I'd get myself in line for one.

I've decided to hold off on the Bandsaw for a few months. I did however purchase a Milwaukee 5625 3-1/2hp router on Ebay for $220 (new in box) and will be placing an order from Woodpecker for a PRL and a custom top along with either an Incra or Woodpecker fence to mount on my Sawstop in place of the Sawstop extension table. Though I may go stand alone - I need to check my available space first.

It's coming together! I love new tools.

Mike Heidrick
01-15-2007, 9:15 AM
On the Incra in the outfeed idea - How will you deal with the on.off mounting of the Incra router fence. If the fence faces the right side the Incra will most likely be in the way most of the time. Just making sure you are thinking about the use of the fence.

If you really want to go this route the Incra LS TS may be a better solution - use that fance for the saw and router. Otherwise build a seperate table and install the Sawstop table on the saw.

David Wambolt
01-15-2007, 2:50 PM
I think I'll just go with a stand alone router table after giving it more thought. My motivation to put it in the saw was to save space.

Did you see Amazon lowered the price on the Delta Metal/Wood bandsaw to $799 now on the single phase and $699 on the 3 phase? That's very tempting, but I can't really find any reviews on it. I was considering the 3 phase and picking up a Hitachi or similar VFD to get fully variable control over the saw speeds. That extra $100 less for the 3 phase will put me a little under half way there for a 2hp VFD. Hmm...

I also feel like it's Christmas again today. Before picking up the Sawstop I went to my employeer's storage unit and picked up a broken pallet jack. The pump leaked BADLY and did not raise the lift. If figured it was better than nothing to move the saw so I grabbed it. They told me the seal kit was over $150 and I figured I'd just use it to move the saw around with the crate sideways and then discard it or return it back to the storage unit.

I enjoy a challenge and decided yesterday to take a look at this pallet jack. The Sawstop crate is still on it, so I had to use my engine hoist to raise it just a bit to slide a 2x4 under the pallet jack forks so that I could remove the pump and wheel assembly. I screwed around out in the back yard in the cold for about three hours. The Chinese designed thing was a PITA to disassemble with those little snap ring clips used to hold the pins in place. Finally I got it tore down, pried the pump spring loose and remove everything but the main ram. A large amount of grit (sand and/or rust - looked like sand) came out of the pump assembly. I poured fluid through it, cleaned everything up, used compressed air to blow as much of that crap out of the pump assembly as I could. I then filled and bled it with a combination of power steering fluid and Lucas Power Steering stop leak. I had read this trick online, using a bit of that stuff can revive old jacks. After another hour of bleeding I finished the pump up last night and it was not leaking. I don't know how a seal kit would cost $150+ as I only found one rubber seal in the pump assembly. It's design shows it's of a throw away design. When it breaks, toss it.

I couldn't wait to go reinstall it on the pallet jack this morning to see if it would work. Sure enough, it works like brand new. No leaks, no air and it raised to full extension The pallet jack looked like it was hardly used and according to the warehouse guy it was a lemon. I'm betting that grit was keeping the check ball and the seals from doing their jobs. I lifted my 1200lb square column mill today like it was nothing. So with that said I was able to move my Sawstop crate, my mill and my LS-6 454 Crate Engine all to where I've been wanting them. Each are 700+ pounds and if you don't have a pallet jack.. you are basically screwed.

So I'm a happy camper. I love free stuff and it's even better when you bring it back to life. Now I can cross one piece of equipment off my list to buy.

David Wambolt
01-19-2007, 12:44 AM
Well I have wrapped up most of my equipment purchases. With new equipment coming in I have some other equipment for-sale (large mill, etc) that I'll use to offset some of these costs.

Amazon tempted me with the 14" Delta Metal/Wood bandsaw. I ended up buying the 3 phase model for $699 and spent another $288 at Factory Mation on a 2hp VFD with a remote operator cable. The single phase was $799, so there was $100 towards the VFD. I'll mount the VFD panel near the on/off switch which will allow me to fine tune the blade speeds. I wanted to buy the Grizzly G0514X bandsaw, but the Delta will fit two of my needs. I can always get the Grizzly or similar at a later date. With the Delta I ordered the Kreg fence, resaw fence, Delta mobile base, Delta 6" riser kit and a few other odds and ends for the saw. I'll order Timberwolf and Morse blades for it.

Next I purchased a 1.5hp Jet Canister Dust Collector with the remote control. It's a smaller machine than I wanted, however as I started looking at my space constraints I decided that until I build a compressor room behind my shop, I'll stick with this. Once I do that I'll buy the Oneida system and hard duct it. I also purchased Jet's air filter unit for $229 that I'll mount near my wood working machines.

Another tool that I purchased was the EZ Smart system Dino sells. Had I really saw that system I probably would not have bought my Sawstop. I would have saved some money and bought the Powermatic 2000, because you still need a table saw. But hey, I won't regret it. I went all out and got the 150" kit, router system, repeaters... you know.. a tune of about $1,000. I'll pick up the Hilti 267 saw or a PC325, but for now my Hitachi Mag base saw with brake will get the job done. I just want a saw with better dust collection, the Hitachi saw cuts great. I bought a spare base for when I get another saw. I was looking at Festool, but decided on the EZ Smart system. Plus I like the fact Dino is around and handles issues and questions promptly right at this forum.

Lastly I went over to Woodpecker and bought this Incra LS Super router table system. I went all out with the largest table, base, PRL lift for my 5625. It will do everything I ever want to do and then some. Expensive? Yes, but I believe it will last me a long time. I considered building the base since I weld and fabricate, but I have so many projects stacking up that I need to get rolling with remodel work and not building my tools. I also received my Milwaukee 5625 fixed base router today. Man this is a nice router. It feels like quality, runs like a top and I like the 5 year warranty! Plus the price was only $220 + ship on Ebay for a 3.5hp router... not too shabby.

Since I was looking at Kreg stuff for my bandsaw, I went ahead and ordered their Pocket Hole master kit. Ebay had the best deal with some free extras so I went that route.

Anyhow, I have spent a crap load of money in the last month on tooling. However tools are something I love. My shop is coming together and my electrical work should be done in the next 10 days or so. The electrician I hired is very reasonable and is an all around great guy. I may have him wire my entire shop - but we'll see. Once that's done, it's insulation, drywall and then I need to find a HVAC system to install. With the insulated doors, walls and drywall, I should be able to heat and cool the space fairly easily.

Whew. Time to pour some water on my Visa check card. lol

Joe Jensen
01-19-2007, 1:05 AM
First, welcome to the forum.

Hello all,
Today I went to Sacramento Machinery Co. and bought a Sawstop Tablesaw.

Great choice, love mine.

So now that I have the table saw out of the way, I'd like to pick up a bandsaw. I have tried to research on several forums and have narrowed down my choices to the Grizzly G0514X, Bridgewood PBS-440, and the Steel City 18". I know the MM is great and the Laguna is good, but price wise these saws fall into what I'm looking at with teh Bridgewood being at the top of the scale. I'm leaning towards the Grizzly as it's price is attractive and it seems to be a quality machine from what I have read. I have to say I don't like buying stuff without being able to see it first hand, but I have much faith in the recommendations handed down by many on these forums. I know the Bridgewood at the current sale price is very attractive, but with shipping it will run me about $2,100 and that's about $750 over the Grizzly. I won't use this thing everyday, but I still want a quality machine that I do not regret purchasing. However I don't want to seem like "More money than brains" because buying the Sawstop at the premimum price was hard to do, but I know it will give me many years of flawless service.

I did a research on this recently. The biggest question is what do you want to do? I had an excellent old Powermatic 14" for 15 years which was perfect for everything but resawing stock thicker than 6". I got lucky and was able to buy a 2 year old Laguna HD16 with mobilty kit, carbide blade, and 5 other new blades for $1400. I haven't used the saws you are looking at, but I did use a Delta 14" compared to my Powermatic model 141, I couldn't get the Delta to track well at all. I attributed it to frame flex but I'm not sure. I'd first decide what you want to do. Also, I didn't see a planer on your list. With your background in metal work, I assume you like precision work. If so, you will definitely want a planer. I'd get a decent planer and jointer and skip or skimp on the BS. Resawing without a planer will be a big issue.

Lastly I need to set up a dust collection system.

I researched and ended up with an Oneida 2HP Super Gorilla. The collector is only part of the cost. I piped to a TS, Shaper, Radial Arm Saw, Planer, and Jointer. The duct work and a small amount of flex hose cost almost as much as the collector. I then added ecogate automatic gates, but they are just a luxury.