PDA

View Full Version : Shop remodel

Marcus Carr
01-09-2007, 4:15 PM
Here are the before pictures of my shop overhaul. My first project this weekend will be the lumber rack. Then I will start moving and placing tools. I will also post a shop layout to see if anyone has some ideas.

Marcus

Jim Becker
01-09-2007, 4:47 PM
Make sure there is no unexploded ordinance in that shop, Marcus... LOL :D :D :D

You do have your work cut out for you, but you know what...it's worth it 'cause you'll have a shop that meets your needs. Go for it!

Rennie Heuer
01-09-2007, 5:13 PM
Make sure there is no unexploded ordinance in that shop, Marcus... LOL :D :D :D

:eek: What was the name of the storm?

You certainly like to take on challenging projects! can't wait to see the "after" shots.:)

Greg Cole
01-09-2007, 5:43 PM
I can't say as my shop was hit by that category 5 storm, but I did dedicate Friday evening and Saturday morning to doing a re-organizing (ok ...picking up things I never manage to put away while working and put them in their proper places). and total clean up. I even went through the box of sandpaper and tossed out the tattered pieces I've been saving "just in case".... I also broke down and pitched a bunch of the scraps & little pieces that I'd been saving for that same "just in case".
After re-siding, reframing for larger windows & replacing all windows and lastly stripping the roof and re-roofing all in a week of "vacation" this past September (with one helper in my retired 63 year old father)......I can say my shop was on par with something Jim said about not containing any exploded ordinances.
Having an organized shop makes for a more enjoyable experience every time I set foot in the shop, and I believe it reflects in the quality of my work.
As far as clean goes, I will say a central dust collector is HIGH on the list of MUST have's... especially with the addition of the Grizzly 0513X just a couple weeks ago.

Gary Keedwell
01-09-2007, 5:44 PM
[quote=Rennie Heuer]:eek: What was the name of the storm?
LOL I'm glad it was YOU that said it because that was my first reaction. :D

Gary K.

Richard Keller
01-09-2007, 5:52 PM
I even went through the box of sandpaper and tossed out the tattered pieces I've been saving "just in case".... I also broke down and pitched a bunch of the scraps & little pieces that I'd been saving for that same "just in case".

Yeah, we all have that stuff. I go through things sometimes and think, Why did I save that? Just in case was ten years ago, and hasn't happened yet.

And the odd time it does happen -- you can't find what you want anyways for the mess!

Richard.

John Shuk
01-09-2007, 5:59 PM
Marcus,
You and I may be two of a kind.
It is tough to get organized with young kids aroud. That is my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
I can't wait to see what you do with it. I need ideas!
Good luck.
John

Michael Gibbons
01-09-2007, 7:21 PM
Marcus, Shop remodel? Yeah right! There's no shame in telling anyone that your shop was ransacked!!;) :D

Don Bullock
01-09-2007, 7:29 PM
Now why do you think you need to clean and reorganize your shop? Was there supposed to be a clue in those pictures? LOL ;) :D Wow, good luck in your task. I'm sure you'll like the end product much better. BTW - Your shop reminds me of my Dad's shop when I was a kid. He always expected me to clean it up.:(

lou sansone
01-09-2007, 8:18 PM
wow... what happened in that room.. well best wishes in this effort
lou

Ben Grunow
01-09-2007, 9:28 PM
What... are they testing missiles in there?

(Money Pit movie quote)

Jim Young
01-09-2007, 9:32 PM
Theres a boat in all that clutter.

Jim Becker
01-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Theres a boat in all that clutter.

A very nice one...hopefully a project that we'll get to learn about!

Marcus Carr
01-10-2007, 8:19 AM
Here is a little history on this shop.

A few years ago, we purchased this 10 acres with a double wide manufactured home and this building. Our intention was to live in the manufactured home until our house was finished, then sell the manufactured home. That has all been done.

In the process, I learned that the previous owner was building this house (my shop) while living in the same manufactured home. It turns out that he tried to do it without paying the county for permits. They found out, slapped him with enough fines and changes that he could never get out from under it. His wife left him at the same time and he pretty much gave up on everything. He moved to Oregon and put this property up for sale.

After finishing our new house, but before we could legally move in, we found ourselves with a buyer for the manufactured home. So...I moved everything into the shop, sold the manufactured home and went on vacation for a week. After the vacation, the house was done and we moved in there.

Over the last two years, we have managed to get almost everything that is non-shop related out of this building. I also ran wiring for 8 shop lights and started tearing out damaged drywall and walls that I don't want in the completed shop. There is finally light at the end of the tunnel.

I am taking the entire week off, next week, to work on turning this disaster into a functioning workshop.

I will take lots of pictures as I go. Hopefully it will act as an inspiration for some and after writing this post I will feel accountable to more than just myself. Maybe that will keep me going through the project.

Marcus

Marcus Carr
01-10-2007, 8:34 AM
Here is a picture of the outside of the shop, taken when we first purchased the property.

Bill Simmeth
01-10-2007, 9:15 AM
Marcus, that's a great building. It should make a wonderful shop when done. Boy, and what a setting your property is in.

Good luck with your project next week!

PS... on the idea of removing walls, seeing the shape of the building and the pics you posted of the interior, it looks like there's a wall running roughly down the centerline of the house, perpendicular to the roof trusses. If this is the case, I'd be reluctant to remove it altogether unless you have a very good understanding of the truss design. Maybe you could replace it with a beam and post arrangement?

Scott Weiss
01-10-2007, 9:23 AM
Where in Spoke-A-Loo are you? I lived in Moscow ID for 20+ years and got up there quite often. Beautiful country, the PNW, but especially the Inland Empire!

Don Bullock
01-10-2007, 9:43 AM
...I am taking the entire week off, next week, to work on turning this disaster into a functioning workshop.

I will take lots of pictures as I go. Hopefully it will act as an inspiration for some and after writing this post I will feel accountable to more than just myself. Maybe that will keep me going through the project.

Marcus

I wish you the best on your project. It certainly looks like the building will make a great shop. Yes, do keep us posted on the project. Some, like me, hope to be able to do something just like this in the future.

Marcus Carr
01-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Here is a picture of the "plan". The red dot items still need to be built or purchased.

The idea is to bring lumber and sheets in the door on the left and store it all in the top left. Then I have a minimal distance to get it to the panel saw, miter saw and table saw. Once I cut it down, it moves to the table saw outfeed table and from there to the bandsaw, lathe, sanders or workbench for assembly.

Anyone see any flaws with this or have any other ideas?

Marcus

Marcus Carr
01-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Scott,

I actually live in north Idaho and commute to Spokane valley for work.

Marcus

Bart Leetch
01-10-2007, 4:12 PM
Here is a picture of the "plan". The red dot items still need to be built or purchased.

The idea is to bring lumber and sheets in the door on the left and store it all in the top left. Then I have a minimal distance to get it to the panel saw, miter saw and table saw. Once I cut it down, it moves to the table saw outfeed table and from there to the bandsaw, lathe, sanders or workbench for assembly.

Marcus

Yes I see some things I would not like to work with. I would put the Table-saw, planer & jointer in close proximity to each other with the material moving in the same direction unless you like running around & swinging material this way & that.

I would put all the smaller tools over in the area from the back of the bathroom & the other end of the shop & move the planer & jointer over into the area with the table-saw. Arrange your bench & the smaller tools so you can turn to the right or left or around & step over to them to trim or sand without having to run clear across the shop.

Move the CMS further along the wall about mid way so if you need to go from your bench to it you don't have to walk so far. Put a shelf above it for the material for the current project. With this arrangement it will open up a little more room so you can also have a low say 18" high (read 1 1/2" thick torsion box nice & flat on saw horses ) assembly table.

You may even be able to have a 2x2 framed plastic covered spray area that may be possible to hinge & fold up against the ceiling.

Is that small room behind the sheet good storage just a hot water tank? If so would it be possible to take the wall with the door in it away & move the fire place over closer to the outside wall? This would really open up that area.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Jay Kilpatrick
01-10-2007, 4:14 PM
Here is a picture of the "plan".
Marcus

Hi Marcus,
Any space there for a finishing booth, just in case you ever want to spray?

Ted Miller
01-10-2007, 4:24 PM
Marcus, I would have sent that first pic you have to my insurance adjuster and said, "look I came home after being gone for the weekend and I was robbed, they got my 10' sliding Robland, 12" General Jointer and my 24" Planer, oh yea they also left semi tire tracks in my driveway, they must have been a smooth crew"...

Michael Gibbons
01-10-2007, 4:49 PM
Ted, Shame on you!! ( tee hee):rolleyes:

Marc Casebolt
01-10-2007, 5:43 PM
Really nice plan. One suggestion re: table saw Off feed. 8' table will nicely support a 14' board. May be it doesn't need to be that long. shorten it up some and wrap it around to the left side of the saw for support of wide panels. I see you will have a panel saw, so that will prevent having to saw full sheets, but I find that having support to the left of the blade is sure helpful with jigs and such also.
It's fun aint it, Marc

Marcus Carr
01-11-2007, 8:21 AM
Excellent advice from everyone. Thank you all.

I will take a closer look at the positions of the tablesaw, planer and jointer.

The fireplace will need to stay where it is because I really don't want to relocate the chimney in 20 degree weather.

Last night I welded up the lumber rack, today I will hit it with a wire wheel, primer and paint. I found that I am going to have to swap the positions of the lumber rack and sheet goods. The distance from the door to the top wall is 9 feet. That will be fine for 8' sheets, but not for the 10' lumber I often buy.

Marcus

Marcus Carr
01-11-2007, 9:27 AM
Actually, I have been using the bathroom for a spray booth.

With the exhaust fan and a fan in the window, I can move a lot of air (and fumes) out of that room. I can also keep the room warm during winter with a pair of worklights.

I put wire mesh over the sink to act as a place to hold my scrollsaw patterns while I spray adhesive on the backs and I put a barstool in the tub/shower so I can spin things around while I spray. The tub catches the overspray.

This bathroom will probably never be used as a bathroom again because I have turned off water to this building. I don't want the pipes to burst due to freezing.

Marcus

Michael Gibbons
01-11-2007, 2:30 PM
Marcus , How big is it? It looks like 24X52 if the squares on the diagram are right. Once you get-r-done ,I bet it'll rock. Make sure to paint a light color on the inside.

Dan Gill
01-11-2007, 3:19 PM
Actually, I have been using the bathroom for a spray booth.

That's what my wife says, too.:rolleyes:

Never give us a straight line like that.

glenn bradley
01-11-2007, 3:22 PM
I see massive potential and a dumpster rental in your future ;-)

I love seeing shots of shops-to-be and the progress towards our never ending goal. Keep 'em coming.

Marcus Carr
01-11-2007, 3:23 PM
The 24 part is correct and I originally guessed at 60, but when I looked at the plan, it didnt look right. 52 is still an approximation, but is it so messy that I cannot safely measure from one end to the other =]

I will post a revised plan and more pictures as I work through the project.

Marcus

Don Bullock
01-11-2007, 8:00 PM
Bart seems to have much more experience than I do in tool arrangement. He makes some good suggestions. I wonder how many workshops have a bath tub. :eek: If you don't plan to use it, that might be a good place, if it could be vented properly, for a spray booth.

Marcus Carr
01-12-2007, 8:02 AM
Don,

I have been using that room as a spray booth and it works very well.

Marcus

Don Bullock
01-12-2007, 9:43 AM
When you use water based finishes it sure would make clean-up handy to have the sink right there.

Marcus Carr
01-12-2007, 10:04 AM
My first project in the shop remodel is to build a suitable lumber rack. I decided to go with 1" square tubing, 3/8" wall. I cut one 8' and five 1' pieces for each of three racks. Here are a few pics...

1. The welding is done and cooling on all three sections. They are clamped back to back to reduce deformation cause by welding on one side of the 8' bar and not on the other.

2. One of the sections is clamped to the welding table for descaling and cleanup, using a wire wheel on the grinder.

3. Here is one of the sections after it's first coat of primer. I had initially wanted to paint them wrought iron black, but now I am considering stopping with two coats of primer. The lighter color will make it less likely for me to walk into the ends. I may also cap the ends with orange plastic inserts.

Marcus

Bill Lewis
01-12-2007, 10:46 AM
My first project in the shop remodel is to build a suitable lumber rack. I decided to go with 1" square tubing, 3/8" wall. I'm guessing this is a typo, don't you mean 1/8" or 3/16" wall thickness? Seems like a neat project, keep us updated.

Marcus Carr
01-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Oops, yes the steel has 1/8" walls, not 3/8".

220...221...whatever it takes...
Marcus

Marcus Carr
01-13-2007, 8:44 PM
Well Day 1 was a success. I finished welding and painting the wood rack, installed it and started pulling screws and nails from recovered lumber and stacking it. I also cleared the middle of the shop a bit.

Here are some pics...

1. Shows the area that will become the wood storage.

2. Shows the wood rack installed.

3. Shows the wood rack starting to fill up.

4. Shows the middle of the shop.

Pete Harbin
01-13-2007, 8:52 PM
Looks like you're off to a great start Marcus. It's going to be really nice to have so much space to work in once you're done.

Pete

John Schreiber
01-14-2007, 12:38 AM
Keep on moving forward. I see that your shop has a floor. Wasn't too sure before.

lou sansone
01-14-2007, 6:10 AM
wood rack look good.

lou

Don Bullock
01-14-2007, 9:42 AM
Well, it's starting to look more like a shop. Very good progress. I can see why orange plastic caps on your wood rack would be a must.

Marcus Carr
01-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Wow, this project is huge. Over the last few days, I have worked my way about 1/2 way through the shop. I started at the previously completed lumber rack and made a slow deliberate push southward. Many battles have been won...and a few lost, hopefully I can conquer this shop before I have to go back to work next Monday. Here are some before and after pics.

1. The first picture shows where the miter saw will go. As I worked my way through the shop...tools went in bins on the floor for later sorting, garbage went in cans and boxes near the lumber rack and the shop vac followed me around like a faithful dog.

2. The next three pictures show the miter station and NW corner. The miter saw will stay of course. I am still trying to figure out how I want to created extended support for the miter table. The tools in the bins will find a home later this week. The trash will go and the nut and bolt bins will find a home. The freezer will be replaced with a panel saw.

Marcus Carr
01-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Here are pictures to the NE...before and after.

Marcus Carr
01-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Here are some before and after shots to the south to show how far I have pushed.

Marcus Carr
01-15-2007, 10:22 PM
and for those who notice the rocking horse is the background of a previous picture...here is a closer view. The plans for this horse came as a free gift with a tool that I purchased years ago. I built it for my daughter's second Christmas.

Don Bullock
01-15-2007, 10:37 PM
There is a lot of progress, but I'm afraid a long way to go. Your shop reminds me of my garage a few years ago. We were able to park two cars in it, but the rest of it was a mess. Now it's just about ready for me to do some serious woodworking. I spent 2 years getting it all cleaned out, organized and have been purchasing the tools I need for about the past six months. Now it's finally almost ready to do some serious work. I sure hope your project comes together sooner. Yes, I still have to park two cars in my workshop, so that's part of the reason it's taken so long.

Don Orr
01-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Marcus, you are making some serious progress there! Looking good. I really like the rocking horse. I'm even more impressed that you built that beautiful canoe BEFORE you cleaned out you shop! That is going to be one great workshop when you're done.

Karin Voorhis
01-16-2007, 2:22 PM
Well congrats you have come a far with this!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to seeing a close up of your boat that was in the middle too.

Nice work keep us updated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marcus Carr
01-22-2007, 9:06 AM
Well, last week was a success with the shop remodel. I worked on it until Friday and then chose to spend the remaining days of my vacation with my wife and kids.

I will post pictures soon. It's definately not done yet, but at least I can walk from one side to the other.

Marcus