PDA

View Full Version : Ideas please

Frank Corker
01-09-2007, 3:48 PM
Hi everyone, I have an aquaintance who runs a firm that does leather interiors on all new motor vehicles. He has given me a selection of leather which are used in the vehicles to show off the capabilities of the laser. I would be grateful to you all if anyone can show me some simple ideas to do that. Photographs of your own attempts would be really helpful.

The leather by the way is supple and not the type you'd find on the sole of your shoe! There are a few greys, reds, black and cream and all seem to engrave very nicely.

Thanks for your time

Joe Pelonio
01-09-2007, 5:21 PM
Frank,

While I've engraved leather for belts and purses, and other small items, what I have done in the auto area is a little different. You might suggest this to your car guy.

My custom auto trim guy will bring in the hardboard that they use to do car doors panels, and will have me vector cut out the shape of an image, like the owner's name, car company logo, or in the case of the professional athletes, their jersey number. Maybe he gets the soccer
players? Anyway, they use the cutout to "bump out" the image in a different color of leather. Also have vector cut leather images which they will sew onto seats and headrests. Sorry no photos, I keep telling them to send me some when they finish but so far they have not. Normally my work comes months before the job is completed.

Frank Corker
01-09-2007, 7:30 PM
Thanks Joe for replying, if I had the type of skills that you are mentioning I'd have a crack at it. Still something on the car theme is a good start, I'll have to think a tad harder (you know how hard that can be ....or is it just me??)

Mitchell Andrus
01-09-2007, 9:27 PM
Well, in a former life I owned an automotive upholstery shop. I sent the seatbacks of high end cars out to be monogramed for new car dealers, stiched in contrasting panels, did a few hot rods, etc. Lasers were unknown at that time.

I'd look at some hot rod and antique car restoration sites for inspiration. Keep in mind that you will never compete with the guys who can embroider in 50+ colors.

Mitch

Karin Voorhis
01-10-2007, 7:40 AM
Frank I got the perfect idea for you as a thank you for all your help to me.

OK take a mini coop and then engrave all the seat leather with RR logo to make a richer finer car. I believe that will make a RR yes???? :D

Frank Corker
01-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Karin, interesting, I'll give that some thought. Mitchell, thanks I do understand that I'm not going to match those sort of machines, they are just ideas but thanks