PDA

View Full Version : Basement Drywall

Sean Hughes
01-09-2007, 2:31 PM
While I'm not at this point yet, still need to do the framing in the coming weeks, I was doing my research at the borgs for pricing and saw a paperlees drywall in the neighborhood of $12/sheet being touted as mold and mildew resistant. Does anyone have experience with this stuff and is it worth the extra cost?

Thanks

Jim Becker
01-09-2007, 4:27 PM
Relatively new product as far as I know...I've seen it in mags, but not up close. I do like the idea, but would want to play with it first. ;)

Dan Mages
01-09-2007, 8:15 PM
12 seems expensive. I saw it recently at Menards for $9ish.

But yeah. It is fiberglass backed instead of paper. Since it is 100% inorganic, there is nothing for the mold to live on or off of.

Dan

Russell Housman
01-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Mold has a keen ability to change depending on it's surroundings and I have found that mold grows on surfaces you would never imagine. The best way to prevent mold growth is to keep the area dry and the humidity below 55%. That way even if mold is in the air it won't be able get water to grow. The reason I know all this wonderful stuff is I'm a Mold Inspector and I have seen mold growing down from ceilings like Santa's beard.

If you want any additional info on Mold please don't hesitate to ask.

Russell

Bill Lewis
01-29-2007, 6:25 AM
We used it in our basement bathroom project. Since the area is small the added cost was relatively insignificant. It worked pretty much like regular drywall with afew minor differences in technique. I wouldn't use it for the whole basement that would be unnessary in our case. However, if you have a basement dampness problem that gives you enough concern to consider using this product, then I would suggest you consider resolving that issue first before any finish work is performed.