PDA

View Full Version : First turned handle!! weeee!

Brad Hammond
01-09-2007, 2:15 PM
hey all,,,,,,,, ya'll i'd posted a thread about a week ago about bustin the handle on my spindle gouge. after some research and the always helpful advice from smc members i've turned my first handle! i was kinda nervous about getting the ferrull and hole size for the gouge right. plus, i'm turning on a jet mini, so 14" is about all i could get.
this one is from a birch slab i've had sitting around for quite sometime. i only sanded down to 120 and there's no finish at all. gonna let many many turnings put the finish on this one. i'd finally decided on a bronze coupler for the ferrule. i'd planned on heating the couple before putting it on the handle, but i thought i'd try it without the heating just to experiment a little. i sunk the gouge about an inch and a half into the handle and it seems to be holding up pretty good! the old sorby handle is sitting next to it.
p&n...........here i come! :D

oh...... i truly apologize for the pic quality i havent been able to get my camera drivers to load up since i went to xp. this was from my phone.....:confused:
thanx for lookin! any critiques or advice is more than welcome!

oh one more thing........... i'd just recieved bill grumbine's dvd on bowl turning. great great info! and that whole 45 45 45 thing........... geeze that'll take some wood off quick! excellent instruction in that dvd! thanx bill for sharing!

Don Orr
01-09-2007, 3:17 PM
..THAT'S a handle! Nice job. Much meatier than those wimpy Sorby handles.

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2007, 4:14 PM
Good job Brad - can't see that one wearing out any time soon!

Barry Stratton
01-09-2007, 4:41 PM
Great start Brad.....a MAN sized handle!!:D Well done.

Christopher Hunter
01-09-2007, 5:56 PM
Nice handle!!!!.
Now make a few for me////
--Chris

Brad Hammond
01-09-2007, 6:33 PM
thanx all! it feels pretty good! i appreciate all the comments. i gotta get my camera fixed!
cya!

Mark Pruitt
01-09-2007, 6:48 PM
Good job on the handle, Brad. If you enjoyed Bill's first DVD, be sure to get your hands on his second one sometime soon. There are also some neat woodturning DVDs by Richard Raffan published by Taunton Press. I much prefer visual instruction--tell me ten times I might get it, or show me only once.

Glenn Hodges
01-09-2007, 7:01 PM
Now that looks like a real handle.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-09-2007, 9:08 PM
Brad, they sure look better than my first and second good job!:)

Gary DeWitt
01-10-2007, 1:44 AM
Glad to see you gave it a try, worth it isn't it? I don't finish mine either, feels like a better grip without finish. Now you have a handle that fits YOU.

John Hart
01-10-2007, 6:25 AM
Well Done Brad! You're rminding me that I need to make a bunch of handles m'self. If I can just find that dang round tuit.:o