PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum open utility trailer

Rusty Hughes, Indy
11-18-2003, 4:59 PM
Hello,

I'm looking into buying an aluminum 6'6" x 10" single axle trailer. I cannot find anyone who has one or did have so I am coming here. Does anyone have any experience with aluminum trailers?

I have heard that aluminum is more easily damaged than a steel trailer, but how much more are we talking about here? If I back into something going at a slow rate of speed am I going to cause of huge dent in my trailer compared to the steel? Or I am worried about nothing? Should I be worried about banging this trailer around or can it take the punishment a weekend warrior gives out?

Thanks for taking the time to read my questions.

Eddie Severt
11-18-2003, 6:18 PM
I have used an aluminum cattle trailer for 11 years. Yes, it will dent, but not more easily than steel. The aluminum is usually thicker than steel. It can be knocked out with a hammer. IT WILL NOT RUST!!!!!!!!!
That makes aluminum my choice (I bought a 4 horse aluminum trailer to go along with the cattle trailer).

Ray Thompson
11-18-2003, 10:35 PM
Rusty,

All I know is I wanted Aluminum and settled for steel, price won out.

Say, how did the cases come out.

Ray

Rusty Hughes, Indy
11-19-2003, 7:56 AM
Hi Ray,

The case turned out great. I went over to Mac's and used his jig for splines. I used walnut with walnut splines and everything looked great. Our family friends were real happy to get one.

Thanks