PDA

View Full Version : DNA safety

thomas prevost
01-09-2007, 11:47 AM
This week I was in two friends basement shops where they were storing DNA in 5 gallon plastic pails along with furnace and hot water heater. WE would never consider storing 5 gallons of gasoline in our shops. Why DNA? It too is very flameable. Concentrations can become very high when the shop is not being used and has minimal air circulation.

It should be used in a well vented area such as a garage with the overhead doors open. Store away from residence. A $50-60 lowboy garden tool box with a padlock will work just fine for storage of all flameable solvents used in the shop. Remember your family is living in the same building as your shop.

Rob Bourgeois
01-09-2007, 4:03 PM
i am sure this will start trouble..but OH well.

Where I work now we have literally hundreds of gallons of DNA in a small realtively closed room. The containers are sealed with regular screw cap lids. We open some the containers daily. Short of spilling the entire 5 gallons on the hot water heater or in the furnace...you are safe. I would be more worried about the gallon of mineral spirits or quarts of finish than i would about a few gallons of DNA. In fact i would even go so far as drop lit matches into a 5 gallon container of DNA and not have it catch on fire...its just not "that" flamable conpared to other things and its doest generally explode.

/NO you dont want the DNA I throw out weekly...it smells like fish. :)

Paul Geer
01-09-2007, 5:29 PM
DNA? Do you mean DeNatured Alcohol?

Mark Pruitt
01-09-2007, 5:37 PM
DNA? Do you mean DeNatured Alcohol?
Yes. And I agree with Rob that it's one of the less dangerous liquids, but if anyone threw a match in some of it I wouldn't want to be very close by. The important point is "keep it sealed."