PDA

View Full Version : Which Band Saw Blade

Bobb G
01-09-2007, 11:37 AM
I just received my new Grizzly G0555 band saw. Along with the saw, I purchased the extension kit, which included a blade.

My question is, what blades should I purchase? I know...an open ended question..."Depends on what you want to do." Let's say a general purpose blade, and one for resaw. What TPI for both? I'm a bit clueless...obviously :D

Dan Gill
01-09-2007, 11:50 AM
I'd get a 1/4" blade for general work and a 1/2" Woodslicer from Highland for re-sawing. I just got the latter, and it works wonderfully. I haven't had it for long, but I've seen posts from others who love it.

Pete Bradley
01-09-2007, 12:00 PM
I'll second Dan's advice, and add that the narrow band should be about 4 -5 TPI and the resaw band should be around 3. Don't let anyone tell you that you should buy the biggest band your machine will take.

Pete

James Carmichael
01-09-2007, 1:28 PM
I haven't received their latest catalog yet, but I believe Iturra Designs sells the same blade as the Woodslicer for less money under the name Bladerunner or something like that.

While I don't doubt the results (especially from a fellow Texan like Dan), I can't bring myself to pay $35 for a carbon steel blade, they don't last that long. I use 1/2" 3tpi lennox carbon from WoodCraft bands for resawing, they're about $13 apiece, and 1/4, 4tpi skip (also Lennox) for general purpose.

I run a 14" Ridgid, and wondering if I want to go to a Lennox Trimaster, or save my pennies for a bigger saw.