PDA

View Full Version : Keith B., as per your request...

Chris Barton
01-09-2007, 8:53 AM
This is a lidded bowl I made for our local parish auction whilest encountering some Beal Buff problems and Airshield evaluation. I've been asked to post it seperate from the other thread and if you've already seen it feel free to disregard this post. The body of the bowl is from East Indian Rosewood and the base and lid are segmented curly maple and a cocobolo finial. The pocket knife is about 4" long and is in the picture to provide some sort of size perspective. Wall thickness on the bowl ranges from 1/4-3/8", and higth is approximately 8" with a width of approximately 6". The rosewood is so dark it really doesn't show the grain very well in the photographs plus, photography is not my strong suit. Looking for critiques, and I'm not thin skinned...

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2007, 9:01 AM
Chris, I like it! Really nice form, beautiful combination of woods and a great finish! Very nice work!

Mark Pruitt
01-09-2007, 9:04 AM
Chris,
Glad you posted some more detailed pics! I like everything about it, choice of materials, form, finish, finial, base....all done nicely. Hope it draws a nice price and finds its way into a home where it can be duly appreciated.

Bernie Weishapl
01-09-2007, 1:40 PM
Chris that is awesome. Love the wood and finish. Beautiful job.

Joe Tonich
01-09-2007, 2:04 PM
Looking for critiques, and I'm not thin skinned...

Based on that last thread, I dunno about that........:confused: :confused:

Chris,

I like the contrast in the woods, definitely makes each stand out. http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/jt6089/mistick_bananaparty.gif

The transition on the sides is right on, in my opinion, 1/3 the distance from the top, without the lid.

The only thing I'd change is where the lid meets the box.....it doesn't flow, in my opinion, same with the base. Has the right curve, just that it is an abrupt meeting point between them. Otherwise, well done!!!!! :cool: :D

Paul Engle
01-09-2007, 2:08 PM
Chris that is a great looking box,
try this next time ,a contrast on the maple between the segements, It helps take away from the glue lines when you see a purpose contrast, I did one in oak and used thin strips of walnut and it really made the oak stand out with out noticing the glue lines cause you look at the walnut instead. Great job on yours I really llike the shape and the rosewood / maple is great. :D

Jonathon Spafford
01-09-2007, 2:29 PM
I really like it. You did a really good job. Since you asked for critiques I'll telll you my own personal opinion. I would say that the finial should be the same wood as the body... introducing another wood makes too many contrasts. I would also say if you had rolled a bead on the edge of the lid and made the bottom edge curve under instead of coming straight down it would have been less abrupt. Also, I would have made the base proportionately smaller. These are just small details -- I would still buy it and I am sure a non turner wouldn't notice it. Again it is just my own opinions. I have never tried a HF so I am sure it isn't easy. You did a really good job on it looks really nice. I especially like the detail on the foot. Hope it pulls in some money for the auction. Bueno Suerte!!!

Christopher Hunter
01-09-2007, 6:02 PM
Very nice, Chris...
I think the wood choices were perfect,,,,
Keep it up..
--Chris

Corey Hallagan
01-09-2007, 7:09 PM
That's really nice Chris. I love how you treated the base and top & finial. That rosewood is gorgeous!

Corey

Chris Barton
01-10-2007, 7:11 AM
Based on that last thread, I dunno about that........:confused: :confused:

Was that a cheap shot Joe? Naw, you wouldn't do that:p .

Chris,

I like the contrast in the woods, definitely makes each stand out. http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/jt6089/mistick_bananaparty.gif

The transition on the sides is right on, in my opinion, 1/3 the distance from the top, without the lid.

The only thing I'd change is where the lid meets the box.....it doesn't flow, in my opinion, same with the base. Has the right curve, just that it is an abrupt meeting point between them. Otherwise, well done!!!!! :cool: :D

I agree that the transition should look different here. In retrospect I would probably like to make a bead at the lid edge that is small, say 1/8" dia. This would serve to accentuate the transition and be congruent with the flowing curves.

I would also do the bottom different if I make this shape again. I like the bun base but, this one is too thick and not delicate enough. In previous bowls and HFs I have made bun feet that are essentially rings of the contrasting wood so that it looks like the contrasting wood is emerging from the base as you look at it from the bottom. That would be my choice on the next of this type bowls. While the ERI is an attractive wood, it is soo dark that any grain effect is lost. I like the color contrast but, would opt to go with one that allows more woodgrain to show.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Chris Barton
01-10-2007, 7:16 AM
Chris that is a great looking box,
try this next time ,a contrast on the maple between the segements, It helps take away from the glue lines when you see a purpose contrast, I did one in oak and used thin strips of walnut and it really made the oak stand out with out noticing the glue lines cause you look at the walnut instead. Great job on yours I really llike the shape and the rosewood / maple is great. :D

You have a great point here and it's one I began to ponder once I saw the segments after glue up. On some pieces I think this would look great and I think your idea would have worked well on this lid. On other pieces I would want the segments to be as near invisible as possible and I will have to find a better way to address that. Thanks for your suggestion!

Chris Barton
01-10-2007, 7:22 AM
I really like it. You did a really good job. Since you asked for critiques I'll telll you my own personal opinion. I would say that the finial should be the same wood as the body... introducing another wood makes too many contrasts.

I agree 100%, a goof on my part. The finial should have been ERI as well and it should have been slimmer and more refined. The more I look at the finial the more I don't like it.

I would also say if you had rolled a bead on the edge of the lid and made the bottom edge curve under instead of coming straight down it would have been less abrupt.

Again, I agree 100%. I may try to return the top a little this evening after work if I can get up the courage to risk it...

Also, I would have made the base proportionately smaller.

Once again, I agree but, in the perspective that the base needed to be thinner. I think the width is OK, in fact I would worry that it would be to "wobbly" if the base was any narrower.

These are just small details -- I would still buy it and I am sure a non turner wouldn't notice it. Again it is just my own opinions. I have never tried a HF so I am sure it isn't easy. You did a really good job on it looks really nice. I especially like the detail on the foot. Hope it pulls in some money for the auction. Bueno Suerte!!!

Thanks so much for sharing your insights! This feedback will help me make my next piece a better one.

Jonathon Spafford
01-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Again, I agree 100%. I may try to return the top a little this evening after work if I can get up the courage to risk it...

Naw... don't risk messing it up. Like I said I don't think anyone else would notice this stuff... I really like the piece and it would be sad to mess it up! You really did a nice job on it!

Jim Dunn
01-10-2007, 3:53 PM
I don't have anything to say cept I wish I could turn out something as pretty as that.

Joe Tonich
01-10-2007, 6:27 PM
Was that a cheap shot Joe? Naw, you wouldn't do that:p .

Uhhhh..........nope. Don't do cheap shots, just call em as I see em.

Saw the line, just added MHO.