PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Bandsaw vibration Woes

Aussie Lou
01-09-2007, 7:09 AM
Gidday:)

Lou from Australia here..................Hope all is well!

I'm presently looking at ways of reducing vibration on my Bandsaw. I have an 18inch European style Bandsaw thats good quality and delivers good results.

I'm presently working on my technique to resaw very thin veneers. As all that do this kind of work on the bandsaw know having a well tuned saw helps deliver great results.

I'm attempting to reduce vibration as much as possible and am wondering if any Bandsaw owners out there have come across some innovative solutions that work really well.

Mark Duginske in his bandsaw handbook mentions a visc-elastic polymer (A black rubbery material designed to absorb shock and vibration) does anyone know of any suppliers of this material in matt form???

ANy tips hints n help on the one really appreciated

REgards Lou:D:D:D

Benjimin Young
01-09-2007, 7:23 AM
Have you tried replacing the belt with "Belt Link" type belt. See this link for an example picture
http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NTITEM=B2084
I understand these reduce a lot of vibration from the motor.

Tyler Howell
01-09-2007, 8:21 AM
Welcome Aussie,
Glad to have to in the creek.
Is that a real name:confused: We like to be friendly here;) .
I agree with Ben. After that I'd add milled pullys.
How about the tires, are they smooth??

Pete Bradley
01-09-2007, 12:07 PM
You say it delivers good results. What are you trying to improve? I'm not trying to be facetious, but your saw is probably pretty good on vibration already. One tooth slightly out of set or a little bit of flutter will degrade resaw quality far more than all but extreme vibration.

Pete

Dave Fifield
01-09-2007, 1:48 PM
Probably teaching my granny to suck eggs, but make sure your blade is real tight. I found I was under-tensioning my BS blades somewhat and when I started cranking the tension, my resaw smoothness improved remarkably.

Phil Pritchard
01-09-2007, 4:08 PM
With very hard timbers harmonic vibrations can cause something akin to wow and flutter in the saw blade. Variable pitch sawblades, such as the Lenox Trimaster III 2 to 3 tpi TCT blade will cure this

Phil