PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid tool, free batteries for life?

Benjimin Young
01-09-2007, 6:40 AM
I read an ad in a magazine recently (not sure which one), that you get free batteries for life when you buy a Ridgid tool. I find this hard to believe. Has anyone had any experience with this?

skip coyne
01-09-2007, 8:25 AM
thats what it says at the website .

from what Ive read at other boards its not a matter of dropping into the local Home depot and picking up a battery , they require the whole tool be sent to repair center so they can verify bad battery.

shipping is yours plus your out of tool for period of time

from the HD site

WHAT IS COVERED UNDER THE LIMITED LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT
The Limited Lifetime Service Agreement on RIDGID Hand Held Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools and Pneumatic Tools covers all worn parts in properly maintained tools, including normal wear items such as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries in your qualifying RIDGID Brand hand held and stationary power tools; and replacement rings, driver blades and bumpers on RIDGID Brand pneumatic tools for the lifetime of the original owner. This Limited Lifetime Service Agreement does not apply to other RIDGID Brand products.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=SuperFeatures2/Power_Tools/PM_Tool_Offers_1004&cm_mmc=Prosite-_-Bottom_promo-_-Power_Tools-_-6%2f6%2f2006

Dave Sweeney
01-09-2007, 11:41 AM
In fairness to Ridgid, how many manufacturers will let you take their tools back to Home Depot for a warranty issue? Don't most require that you take their tools to one of their Authorized Service Centers for warranty work?

As I'm sure most of us know, the Ridgid Limited Lifetime Service Agreement is actually above and beyond their normal warranty. You're not covered under this agreement unless you apply for the LLSA. Simply registering your purchase doesn't automatically qualify you.

A little bit of jumping through hoops is required to sign up for the LLSA but if you read Skip's insert it's well worth the effort if you ever have to use it.

John Shuk
01-09-2007, 5:12 PM
Still cheaper than buying new batteries or a new tool because new batts are so close to the price of a new tool.

Adam Bauer
01-09-2007, 5:24 PM
In fairness to Ridgid, how many manufacturers will let you take their tools back to Home Depot for a warranty issue? Don't most require that you take their tools to one of their Authorized Service Centers for warranty work?

Well it kinda makes sense because isnt Rigid Home Depots "house brand" kinda like "great value" at walmart or craftsman at sears?

John Shuk
01-09-2007, 6:05 PM
Well it kinda makes sense because isnt Rigid Home Depots "house brand" kinda like "great value" at walmart or craftsman at sears?

Yes, however Rigid seems to make it's tools available after being reconditioned through other outlets. I think that if you are able to find decent shipping like USPS flat rate packaging this is a great deal. I for one think shipping my cordless drill and losing it for a bit of time is easier than making a 35 minute trip to Sears then dealing with all that Sears can throw at you to get a replacement socket. DAMHIKT

Dave Sweeney
01-09-2007, 6:25 PM
Well it kinda makes sense because isnt Rigid Home Depots "house brand" kinda like "great value" at walmart or craftsman at sears? Actually, I think Ryobi is Home Depots house brand. I also wasn't aware that Walmart had in-house service centers for their house brand of tools.

Jake Helmboldt
01-09-2007, 8:29 PM
Ryobi long predates HD, but now HD is the exclusive dealer. But Ridgid is effectively their "house brand". i don't know if HD has acquired either company or simply engages in an exclusive arrangement.

JH

skip coyne
01-09-2007, 9:01 PM
for the lifetime battery warranty to meaningful it should be a over the counter exchange . someone who makes a living with their tools shouldnt have to ship it off and wait for replacement , its just not practical .

craftsman lifetime hand tool warranty was over the counter , you break one , you take it in and they give you a new one to keep right on working .

warranty sounds good but in practice its just not practical for someone depending on the tools for a living

Clint Winterhalter
01-09-2007, 9:40 PM
Hey Guys here is some history on the Ridgid brand. Emerson Electric once made most of the Craftsman bench tools for Sears. Sears wanted to reduce cost. They thought they could simply go to the same off shore factories and cut Emerson out of the mix. Needless to say Emerson Electric and Sears had a falling out. Emerson also owns the Ridgid Brand of plumbing tools. They were famous for aluminum pipe wrenches. The first couple of years of Ridgid Bench tools were simply tools once designed to be Craftsman equipment with a new paint job and a few other upgrades (mostly fences / switches etc originally) the same held true for Ridgid shop vacs. As time wore on and the lawsuits settled. Ridgid continued to develop better and better power tools.

I unfortunately got to live through this mess with a front row seat. I was a District Mgr with Sears when it all happened (no longer with them).

Rigid Chordless tools are actually made by Ryobi. I owned an 18volt set that came with a free third battery. When they shipped the battery to me, it came from Ryobi America.

Ryobi is a major tool supply to multiple retailers. They make up special sets for Depot / Lowe's. They use to make a large share of Craftsman hand held power tools.

Craftsman was Sears house brand for years. You know will find Craftsman tools at Kmart / Lands End and Kroger (yes Kroger had gift sets for Xmas).
Kmart bought Sears a couple of years a go. They have started to share the brands with other companies.

Sorry for being so long winded!
Clint

Richard Blaine
01-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Craftsman was Sears house brand for years. You know will find Craftsman tools at Kmart / Lands End and Kroger (yes Kroger had gift sets for Xmas).
Kmart bought Sears a couple of years a go. They have started to share the brands with other companies.
Clint

And on the west coast, Craftsman is also available at Orchard Supply Hardware. Sears bought them prior to the Kmart deal.