PDA

View Full Version : Multi-axis ornaments

Gordon Seto
01-09-2007, 3:10 AM
These are the MA I am playing with. The dyed ash stand was turned between centers.
The bodies are soft maple; icicles are hard maple. Comments are welcomed.http://tinyurl.com/ykzf3rhttp://tinyurl.com/yapm8z
Gordon

John Hart
01-09-2007, 6:48 AM
All I can say is Cool!!!!

Very entertaining pieces Gordon and nicely done. Fun to look at.:)

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2007, 9:09 AM
Nice work Gordon! Very clean details, nice finish and lots of color! Like the top of the second ornament - reminds me of a rose. Nicely done!

Christopher K. Hartley
01-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Gordon, I was juist wondering about this the other day. I really like what you did here with the turning and the finishing.:) Would you be willing to walk us through the turning process you used? Thanks

Jim Becker
01-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Gordon, very nice work!

Brad Hammond
01-09-2007, 11:38 AM
now that's just wild! beautiful!

Gordon Seto
01-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Gordon, I was juist wondering about this the other day. I really like what you did here with the turning and the finishing.:) Would you be willing to walk us through the turning process you used? Thanks Christopher,
I have been fascinated with MA and wondered how they are done. I took a class from Jean Francois Escoulen and Mark Sfirri last summer. I knew I was below the prerequisite for the class, but I signed up anyway. Both of them along with the classmates have been very helpful.
After watching the step by step instructions, we still needed to pick up, and stare at the demo pieces in order to figure out how to copy them.
For me, I still have a lot of trouble figuring in advance what the shape will be after changing axis.
I gain a lot of knowledge from forums like this. But I don't know where to start to give out clear direction that others can follow. If any have any question, please feel free to bring it up and hopefully we can go through it together.

BTW, there was some discussions on eccentric chucks several days ago.
Escoulen Chuck Q's? http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49082

These icicles were done on the original Escoulen chuck. I believe this style of turning may not be done on a Sorby eccentric chuck because it is very difficult to turn thin and delicate stuff with pressure from tailstock .
The stand including the cross bar was completely turned between centers.
Gordon

Bernie Weishapl
01-09-2007, 1:37 PM
Gordon that is some beautiful work. Awesome.

Jonathon Spafford
01-09-2007, 2:20 PM
I love 'em... there is something so amusing about 'em. Really cool designs; you did a great job!!!

Ed Scolforo
01-09-2007, 5:01 PM
Gordon, those are real eye catchers. Well done!

Paul Engle
01-09-2007, 5:40 PM
Nice work Gordon,
now the bar be some where between Venus and alpha centuri, last seen headed away from some of us.:D

Christopher K. Hartley
01-09-2007, 9:58 PM
Christopher,
I have been fascinated with MA and wondered how they are done. I took a class from Jean Francois Escoulen and Mark Sfirri last summer. I knew I was below the prerequisite for the class, but I signed up anyway. Both of them along with the classmates have been very helpful.
After watching the step by step instructions, we still needed to pick up, and stare at the demo pieces in order to figure out how to copy them.
For me, I still have a lot of trouble figuring in advance what the shape will be after changing axis.
I gain a lot of knowledge from forums like this. But I don't know where to start to give out clear direction that others can follow. If any have any question, please feel free to bring it up and hopefully we can go through it together.

BTW, there was some discussions on eccentric chucks several days ago.
Escoulen Chuck Q's? http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49082

These icicles were done on the original Escoulen chuck. I believe this style of turning may not be done on a Sorby eccentric chuck because it is very difficult to turn thin and delicate stuff with pressure from tailstock .
The stand including the cross bar was completely turned between centers.
GordonThanks Gordon, I guess I was wondering if you really needed a special chuck or if it could be done without.:)

Gordon Seto
01-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks Gordon, I guess I was wondering if you really needed a special chuck or if it could be done without.:) Christopher,

I won't recommend you to start out with a special chuck. Turning between centers is more secure. You only have to move around the centers. If you do a search on Mark Sfirri's works, he doesn't use an eccentric chuck because his works are usually bigger than the chuck can safely handle. In MA turning, you have to work with long overhang on your tool tip. A catch would most likely knock your piece airborne from the chuck. I would suggest get yourself familiar first.

Gordon