PDA

View Full Version : Best Price yet on X3! $104.99

James A. Wolfe
01-08-2007, 9:56 PM
While looking for some online training options I found a website for LVS Online:
http://www.lvsonline.com/
It turns out that they are an authorized Corel Training Partner and offer an intro class to X3 for $25. If you enroll, you are eligible to purchase the Education Edition of X3. I found the best deal on that at Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/ for $79.99 with free shipping. As far as I can tell, the educational version is a full version without the printed manual and graphics sample book. I can't comment on the quality of the training since the first class is this week but if I get nothing from the class, it still has saved me some pretty healthy change on the software. Being rather thick skulled, I'll hold off on deciding whether I like X3 better than 12 until I can figure out the differences between the two.

Jim

PS. If you really want to save, open a credit card account with Amazon and they take $30 off your first order making the total net cost $75.:D

Mark Plotkin
01-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Jim,

on x3 if you go to the help pull down, there is an option for whats new. you can select v12 or others and then all the other pull downs will have whats new highlighted.

Tracey Bakewell
01-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Just a Clarification on "Educational" Version for 'yall. There are legal ramifications to using the Educational version for profit. Meaning, if you are using any educational version of software on your products then selling for a profit, you are really "suposed" to own the full retail version. Don't mean to put a damper on anyone, just merely stating fact. Adobe is this way and Microsoft is as well. I used to be in the computer consulting business. The intent is to make things affordable for those who just want to learn or to buy for teaching institutions etc. -- But, typically, yes, educational versions are usually always the full blow fully featured versions.

Gary Hair
01-09-2007, 1:04 AM
Just a Clarification on "Educational" Version for 'yall. There are legal ramifications to using the Educational version for profit. Meaning, if you are using any educational version of software on your products then selling for a profit, you are really "suposed" to own the full retail version. Don't mean to put a damper on anyone, just merely stating fact. Adobe is this way and Microsoft is as well. I used to be in the computer consulting business. The intent is to make things affordable for those who just want to learn or to buy for teaching institutions etc. -- But, typically, yes, educational versions are usually always the full blow fully featured versions.

Or my favorite reason... You are running a business, a for-profit business, step up and pay for the tools you need to run your business.:confused: Do you really think it's worthwhile to use software in a way that is against the license just to save $40? Why not go to your favorite Best Buy store and shoplift it - same idea.:rolleyes:

Dave Fifield
01-09-2007, 5:33 AM
I have to agree with Gary et al. If you even sell just one item that you produced using Corel Draw, you should cough up for the full commercial version. You won't be able to sleep at night until you do.... :D

Ed Maloney
01-09-2007, 6:19 AM
Also from what I understand the educational version doesn't come with manuals and it's non-upgradable.

James A. Wolfe
01-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Good morning all,
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my explanation or I have said something to seriously offend humanity. I am not a software pirate, I don't shoplift from BestBuy and I use all of my software in accordance with the EULA.

Let me clarify a few points so that the villagers can put away the pitchforks and torches and get back to taking care of their own concerns.

I do not operate a business with X3 and have never sold a product produced using it.
I have a full version of CorelDraw v11 for which I paid full retail.
I then paid full retail and upgraded to v12 about 30 days before X3 was launched.
If I determine there is value in using the X3 version for any commercial purpose, then and only then will I be required to upgrade to a retail version, which I will do iaw the EULA.
I sleep perfectly well knowing that I operate in full compliance with my legal, ethical and moral responsibilies.To add to the understanding of the proper use of X3, please be aware that many people here operate in direct violation of the EULA:

Using one computer to run the program and laser while using another computer to do the design at the same time is a violation.
Using a network to allow two computers to use the software at the same time is a violation.I hope this helps clarify my personal business to those people who feel they need to be concerned with it.

For those people who would like to try X3 and can do so in accordance with the EULA, this is the lowest priced way I have found to do it and offer it only as my solution.

Very sincerely,

Jim

Mike Hood
01-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Also from what I understand the educational version doesn't come with manuals and it's non-upgradable.

Hi Ed;

I just bought X3 (came in DHL last night) and the educational version IS upgradeable.

Just a heads-up for those for which this applies.

Jerry Allen
01-09-2007, 11:36 AM
James,
Thanks for the heads up. Good to know. I'm not offended.

Reality.
The implication that stealing from Best Buy and allegedly violating a license agreement are the same thing is ridiculous. Eveyone has their own reasons for buying the software and it's up to them to decide what's right or wrong. For those folks that charge for their work and use multiple computers and seats, there is a compeling reason to spend the extra $40. I am not advocating violating a EULA here, but I gurantee you that Corel, as well as Microsoft, etc., are damn glad to receive $40 less rather than the all too common $0 they get for illegal copies, and are not likely to test the EULA court based on a single instance.

Scifi.
I'd like to remind those that received a file created by someone else who potentially used an illegitimate copy of Draw, or used a trial or educational copy, or used an illegitimate extra seat to create a file to cease using them to cut and engrave with, and to immediately erase those files.
Just because you later buy a legit seat, does not necessarily make the file legal.

Kim Vellore
02-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Finally decided to upgrade to X3, I have to decide between the one with the manuals and tutorials or just the CD upgrade. Are the tutorials good and is it worth getting it. I was also looking at Ebay and the CD's sell for ~$99 for a full version and ~$170 for the ones with manuals and tutorials any insight on these are they legitimate. Kim

Ed Maloney
02-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Kim - Check out this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=47095