PDA

View Full Version : Woodworks Woodworking Show

Gary Keedwell
01-08-2007, 9:48 PM
Has anybody attended the Woodworks Woodworking Shows? They had one in Maine in October and they had one in York Pa. in November.
Are they worth the effort? There is going to be one in Springfield, Massachusetts this weekend. I have been to shows at the Springfield location but can't remember the name of the show. Need some info because don't want to drive over two hours each way for nothing.

Gary K.

Rob Blaustein
01-08-2007, 10:21 PM
I've been to this one before in W. Springfield, I think twice over the past 5 yrs. It was ok, nothing fantastic. I'll likely go again this year. Watching Frank Klausz do a demo cutting dovetails by hand was an eye opener. And I'd never seen big fancy tools like Minimax combo machines so that was interesting. Kinda have to separate the wheat from the chaff I think. Sounds like you've checked out the website--they list who's coming.

Gary Keedwell
01-08-2007, 11:26 PM
I've been to this one before in W. Springfield, I think twice over the past 5 yrs. It was ok, nothing fantastic. I'll likely go again this year. Watching Frank Klausz do a demo cutting dovetails by hand was an eye opener. And I'd never seen big fancy tools like Minimax combo machines so that was interesting. Kinda have to separate the wheat from the chaff I think. Sounds like you've checked out the website--they list who's coming.
Ya, I was there the year Frank Klausz demo'd. This year is Garrett Hack, Jeff Jewitt (only two I know) Jim Christian,Geoffrey Noden,and Paul Schurch. ( hope I didn't leave anybody out). I used to take Friday off from work and take LOML and get motel room. Go again on Saturday. LOML has to work this year so we might go Sat.
I'm from towards the Cape. Go Pats!!!!

Gary K.:D

Dave Falkenstein
01-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Woodworks replaced The Woodworking Show in the Phoenix area for one year about three years ago. Woodworks was a smaller show with fewer vendors displaying items. I thought it was a disappointment at the time, and was happy to see The Woodworking Show return when they found a new place to hold the show.

Chuck Nickerson
01-09-2007, 2:25 AM
You'll have to decide if it's worth it.

Bill Arnold
01-09-2007, 2:35 AM
I attended the show when it was in Tampa in 2005 and exhibited some of my projects. Jonathan and Judy have a good idea with the format, but have had difficulty overcoming the influence of "The Woodworking Shows". The opportunity for local woodworkers to exhibit their work and have it judged by a panel of well-known woodworkers is great. If there were a show nearby, I'd attend again.

Rob Blaustein
01-09-2007, 2:54 PM
Ya, I was there the year Frank Klausz demo'd. This year is Garrett Hack, Jeff Jewitt (only two I know) Jim Christian,Geoffrey Noden,and Paul Schurch. ( hope I didn't leave anybody out). I used to take Friday off from work and take LOML and get motel room. Go again on Saturday. LOML has to work this year so we might go Sat.
I'm from towards the Cape. Go Pats!!!!

Gary K.:D
I'll likely miss you if you go--I think Sunday is the only day I can make it. I think I'll try to get one of Geoffrey Noden's demo bench's while I'm there. I really like Jeff Jewitt's books and articles on finishing so it might be fun to see him teach some finer points (or even basic points, which is what I need).

Anyone else going to W. Springfield this weekend?

Rob Bodenschatz
01-09-2007, 4:06 PM
Has anybody attended the Woodworks Woodworking Shows?

Yes. York PA in November.

Are they worth the effort?
No. Waste of time.

John Viola
01-09-2007, 4:54 PM
I'm going Saturday. I haven't been to this in a couple of years and I admit I'm a little nervous that it will be a big fat waste, but I won't know until I go. This could be my last.

Anybody remember the ones that American Woodworker used to sponsor? The one in Ft. Washington PA was a real extravaganza every year. I miss that one.

Gary Keedwell
01-09-2007, 5:52 PM
I'm going Saturday. I haven't been to this in a couple of years and I admit I'm a little nervous that it will be a big fat waste, but I won't know until I go. This could be my last.

Anybody remember the ones that American Woodworker used to sponsor? The one in Ft. Washington PA was a real extravaganza every year. I miss that one.
Yea, I think I'm going Saturday, too. Was going to go Friday but LOML is working and believe it or not, she likes to tag along. There is a restaurant down the street that she loves. Can't remember the name.....must be getting old because I said it several times yesterday.:confused:
Gary K.