PDA

View Full Version : New Guy at SMC

Marc Casebolt
01-08-2007, 6:54 PM
Hello to all. This is my first post here, but I have been reading the forums for some time. Thank you all for the wealth of information and insight on so many woodworking topics.
I had been making furniture for about 25 years in a very under sized, and under equipped garage. About 4 tears ago I asked my son (then 19) if he would want to start a custom furniture buisiness. I couldn't believe his reaction. His eyes glazed over, and he coulden't stop talking about it. We sent him off to do the woodworking program at Palomar College (he finished with all A's), and a year ago we leased an 1800 sf building and bought a boat-load of decent tools.
We both currently work full time jobs, so this has been just nights and week-ends. Thankfully his mom is VERY understanding, and doesn't gripe about us never being home. We are now doing enough buisiness to pay the rent and utilities, which was our goal for the first year. Our next goal is to have my son in the shop full time by 1-1-08. I will follow when we can do enough buisiness.
This has been quite a learning experience. We have completed some pieces that we are very proud of, and it's really cool to be working with my son.
I didn't intend to be so long winded. here are some pics of the shop.
Thanks again to all. Marc
OK pics later when I have time to figure it out.:confused:

Mike Parzych
01-08-2007, 6:58 PM
Would you consider adopting me?

Jesse Thornton
01-08-2007, 7:05 PM
Marc,
That sounds really great, I wish you and your son the best with it. I'd love to do the same sort of thing with my son - but he's only 19 months old, so I'll have to wait a while on that one!
Welcome to the Creek. I'm relatively new here myself, but I reckon I'll be around a while.
Look forward to seeing your pics...

John Schreiber
01-08-2007, 7:08 PM
That sounds like a wonderful plan. And Son always has great ring to it. Maybe my younger daughter will consider something like that in a few years. My older wants to major in Elementary Education and Boys.

Dan Forman
01-08-2007, 7:36 PM
Marc---Welcome, good luck with your plan, sounds great. We will be waiting for the pics with bated breath.

Dan

Jim Becker
01-08-2007, 8:01 PM
Marc, welcome to the 'Creek! Your growing business is inspirational! Congratulations on a good start and what looks like a positive future.

Ned Bulken
01-08-2007, 8:12 PM
congrats and welcome to a prime example of what good spirit mixed with knowledge and some judicial ribbing can create!

Todd Burch
01-08-2007, 8:44 PM
Congrats, and welcome!

I'm going to assume that a "boatload" of tools does not necessarily mean they got to the US via "boat"! I guess it depends on what ocean they came in on... ;)

What kinda stuff you makin? Who's your market?

Todd

Marc Casebolt
01-08-2007, 9:01 PM
Todd, Yes I can say that much of our equipment sailed on the briny. From both directions. We have been making anything we can to pay the bills. Tables, chairs, a mantle, some small jobs, even repaired some antiques. I told my son that if some one tells us that their clothes drier is broken, we will offer to fix it. We are working to build a body of work that we can advertize with, and gain some crediblity and contacts.

Don Bullock
01-08-2007, 9:38 PM
Welcome and congratulations on your success to date. Please post some pictures of your work and shop.