PDA

View Full Version : New member introduction

Joel Ficke
01-08-2007, 6:03 PM
Hi All,

Haven't been browsing this forum all that long but really enjoy what I've seen so far. I've been a fan of Bob Smalser and Malcolm Tibbetts for years, so seeing those names gave me the needed nudge to join. What's particularly nice is the real user name idea combined with threads that appear to be on-topic with substance. I've been a member at WWA for a few years and now am looking to expand a little :rolleyes: -- looks like there's some familiar faces here too.

Well about me. I'm 40, married, with 3 children, work as a circuit designer out of my home during the daylight, and then in the shop during the evening. I've been woodworking for about 12 years, but it seems only in the last 5 have I been serious about learning new techniques and building quality stuff. Classes have been invaluable in that regard. Lately I've been on a free-fall into the hand-tool canyon and building early American reproductions -- hopefully that will keep my attention for years to come.

Just wrote a short essay for the FWW web site if you want to have a look at the latest project. http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=28042
Hopefully you can still read it without a web subscription.

I do have a question for the experts right away. I picked up a huge spiral head jointer locally. It's made by a European company called Advantage, and I'm wondering where to get replacement blades. I can't find the company via google, so I suspect they went under or were bought out (the machine was new in the 70s). OWWM doesn't have anything either. Does anyone have supplier ideas for 21" spiral cutters or any information on the company itself?

Look forward to getting to know everyone better. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Bob Reda
01-08-2007, 6:34 PM
Joel, Cna't help you on the spiral head but wanted to welcome you to the creek

Bob

everett lowell
01-08-2007, 6:37 PM
Welcome Joel:)

Dan Forman
01-08-2007, 7:43 PM
Welcome indeed. I hope someone will be able to answer your jointer question.

Dan

Jim Becker
01-08-2007, 7:59 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek, Joel! And I agree with the premise expressed in your article about learning from others...it's the best way I've found!

Hans Braul
01-09-2007, 8:29 AM
Wow! Joel! That's a spectacular high-boy! What a project. Great article too. Welcome to the creek, and I look forward to your contributions. I think we can learn a lot from you.

Hans

Ken Fitzgerald
01-09-2007, 9:06 AM
Joel.....Welcome to the Creek! Wade right in the water's fine!

Neil Lamens
01-09-2007, 9:23 AM
Hi Joel........interesting coincidence.

First welcome..........Read your FWW essay and ended purchasing the text on Carving a Chippendale Ball and Claw Cabriole leg from the Olde Mill School web site........Thanks for info already!!!

Ralph Dobbertin
01-09-2007, 3:19 PM
Welcome and I am new as well. Because Of your article I also purchased Landons Ball and claw book and plans for his lowboy

Joel Ficke
01-09-2007, 3:58 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm striking out on the jointer blade, so if you do stumble on some information in the future, please let me know.

For those who are starting to carve a ball and claw, let me know if you run into problems. I'll be happy to help any way I can. The only tip I can give now is start with basswood and plan to make a couple of practice legs first. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy, but the first one or two are daunting.

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to my time here.

Steve Wargo
01-09-2007, 4:44 PM
Welcome Joel. Love the tall boy.

Roy Wall
01-09-2007, 6:31 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm striking out on the jointer blade, so if you do stumble on some information in the future, please let me know.

For those who are starting to carve a ball and claw, let me know if you run into problems. I'll be happy to help any way I can. The only tip I can give now is start with basswood and plan to make a couple of practice legs first. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy, but the first one or two are daunting.

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to my time here.

Joel
If my wife ever wants such an exquisite piece like the tall boy...I'll just hire you out so it can be done properly....totally awesome!!
Welcome to SMC....