PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw alternative?

Jason Christenson
01-08-2007, 5:51 PM
I realize that it would be a lot more labor intensive, but do you think a saw along these lines could be used to cut logs into bowl blanks?

Jason

Ian Abraham
01-08-2007, 6:26 PM
Yes... but, it's going to be slower by an order of magnitude ;)

Good way to get fit of course :D

Cheers

Ian

Jason Roehl
01-08-2007, 6:33 PM
Maybe find one with a handle on the other end--after all, misery loves company! :D

Christopher Hunter
01-08-2007, 6:34 PM
Yea, but like he said , you will probably be showing more pictures of you muscles, than bowls... LOL
--Chris

Alan Tolchinsky
01-08-2007, 6:39 PM
Are you built like ARNOLD? You're going to have to be to do blanks like that. :)

John Hart
01-08-2007, 7:00 PM
Where do you plug it in? Sheesh. Are you Amish?:D

Scratch that. The Amish wouldn't even use that thing!!:D

Just kidding. I know I wouldn't...but that's because of arthritis. You're a better man than I Jason. :)

Gary Herrmann
01-08-2007, 7:12 PM
I used a bow saw to cut a 12" diameter branch off a tree once. Once.

Martin Braun
01-08-2007, 7:31 PM
Actually, I have one of those and regularly use it to cut *green* wood to size. It works particularly well when you don't want to wake up the kids. I use it mostly to crosscut, rip can be a little slower. A coarse or medium grit diamond hone works nicely to keep the sharp.

No you don't have to be Arnold, just take your time and it will be cut before you know it. I have cut logs up to 15" in diameter. You can too. Now if you try to cut *dry*, seasoned logs you might find that to be too much work. I've done it, but depending on how hard the wood is, progress is slowwww.

Jason Christenson
01-08-2007, 7:39 PM
Great, everybody's a comedian. Anyway,this is a crosscut saw, how much trouble would it be to rip a small log with it?

By the way, I know it sounds like I'm asking for advice but the truth is I've already found a "vintage" saw and have pretty much made up my mind to buy it. There's no way I'll be able to afford a chainsaw anytime soon anyway.

Jason

Lisa Gilbert
01-08-2007, 8:21 PM
My mom gave us my grandpa's 2-man saw. My guys have cut some big logs with it, but my 11-year-old's comment was, "The chain saw is a wonderful invention!" But if an 11-year-old can do it, by golly, you can, too (you just need to find a 30-something-year-old to put on the other end -- it works a lot faster that way).

Jim Becker
01-08-2007, 8:29 PM
Anyway,this is a crosscut saw, how much trouble would it be to rip a small log with it?
I was just going to say that you'll need two saws...that nice aggressive one for crosscutting and something with rip teeth for cutting down through the log to get rid of the pith and so forth. My chainsaw can sometimes struggle a bit with that task!

Oh, I have an agressive bow saw with a very thin kerf that will cross cut logs very quickly...I've used it for things 6-9" when I didn't want to drag out the chain saw for some reason. A bit of work on the larger stuff, but it cuts very nicely if you let the blade do the work. It's most often what I use for limbing and for when I'm trimming for the chipper.

Curt Fuller
01-08-2007, 8:43 PM
Jason that would work for crosscutting logs but cutting green wood into blanks would be very difficult. If you're willing to "turn" off a little more wood than normal, you could cut logs with that saw, then split them through the center pith with an ax or splitting maul, remove the corners with your crosscut saw, and finally mount the blank between centers or on a faceplate to turn the bowl.

If you decide to try ripping with it I hope you're ambidextrous. If not, you'll end up looking like a crab with one huge arm.

Steve Schlumpf
01-08-2007, 9:27 PM
Jason, I've used a bow-saw for years to drop trees and also cut up firewood - that was before I got a chainsaw. I still use the bow-saw for most of my small cuttings around the house but ripping logs with a handsaw takes way too long. I have to agree with Curt and split the log first. Use your saw to clean it up a little before turning. I've done that many times and just turn away the pith.

Michael Cody
01-08-2007, 9:31 PM
I realize that it would be a lot more labor intensive, but do you think a saw along these lines could be used to cut logs into bowl blanks?

I don't see why not. I am in agreement with the idea of cross-cutting with this saw and splitting the log. I split a lot stuff when I did a lot bowls. It's faster then chainsawing, just more work. Now keep in mind I was not doing this with Elm or some other hard woods to split, but with maple, cherry, oak, etc.. they split nice when green or dry and you can even split osage orange, locust, etc. "IF THEY ARE GREEN!!!" .. don't try those last couple when they are dry, it's an exercise in frustration.

Now that word "exercise" comes up. Most of us could probably use some more and while it's not super fast etc.. if we are physically up to it or can work up to it, why not? Anyone who has met me, knows I for one would benefit from some more of it.. and it's got to beat walking endless circles around the block or running them right? At least for me it does. I know I can work up a good sweat planing a board, etc.. It's not turning but swinging an axe, sledge, or cutting with a crosscut saw will burn some calories, sugar, carbs, etc.. that is good no? I know I split all the wood I take on camping trips for the scouts every month, plus I split all the stuff I burn in the fireplace, and it works up a good heart rate when I do it, plus it's sorta relaxing pretending the log is the .... well you know what I mean:eek: ..

Roger Bell
01-08-2007, 9:45 PM
I have done a fair amount of work with crosscut logging saws on a professional basis. When properly filed, they can crosscut logs with amazing speed and relative ease...even in very large timber. You can witness this yourself at a logging fair or timber carnival. When not properly sharpened (as they usually are not) they are then known as "misery whips".

Filing these saws is entirely different than sharpening a carpenter's saw and there are probably a mere handful of people in the country that know how to do it well. The chainsaw really is here to stay. But, like anything else, it can be learned. If you decide you want to learn the task, PM me and I can turn you on to a couple of references to get you started. It also takes several specialized (antique) tools that are available often enough on the bay.

For smaller stuff, you can get modern crosscut saws with impulse hardened teeth....the kind used for hand limbing by arborists and seed cone climbers. These are comparatively slow for log cutting compared to the traditional saw, but they do work. They usually have typically modern crappy lacquered handles that can blister you up real fast. I carry one under the seat in my rig for emergencies.

While the crosscut saws will rip, it really will take forever (even compared to crosscutting...for those who think that is slow). So you will need a second saw....like the bowsaw filed to rip that someone suggested....to rip your bowl blanks.

You may also choose to rive your blanks as an alternative to ripping, but you will lose some control. The wood will split the way it wants to split. I have done this a number of times with especially gnarly fruitwood in an effort to hold down on weird wood movement during air drying.......... and that isnt really much more difficult than splitting dry firewood, but depends a whole lot on the species.

David Fried
01-08-2007, 9:48 PM
I used Steve's method: bow-saw, split, and trim a bit. It was enough to make me buy a chainsaw. My only regret was not getting a better chainsaw!

I still use the bow saw on smaller pieces where it takes less time than finding the chainsaw, oil, gas, etc..

Jim Becker
01-08-2007, 9:48 PM
I'm also in favor of riving/spitting the log in lieu of ripping. There is absolutely no reason why a turning blank needs to be perfect when you mount it on the lathe. In fact, it's often better to work it around between centers, anyway, to get the best effect!

Christopher K. Hartley
01-08-2007, 9:52 PM
Jason, you'll be ok...when I looked to see where you are from, I realized that trees where you are are somewhat different than, let's say, the Pacific Northwest. I do have a question having lived in Kansas a number of years. Do they even have trees in Nebraska?:D:D:eek::) Just Kidding!:rolleyes: Sheesh, these guys are so technical!

Martin Braun
01-08-2007, 10:15 PM
The best part is you don't have to pay hundreds of dollars a year to get your exercise at a gym. It makes me think what it must have been like back in the day go to work, make your money & get your exercise & you don't have to spend extra time working out at the end of the day. Of course that's easy for me to say, cuz I have a desk job. I bet there are people in construction thinking I should go jump off a bridge.

Joe Petersen
01-08-2007, 10:21 PM
A reciprocating saw with a long aggressive wood blade would make light work of your project. Much cheaper than buying a chainsaw. I have a large Stihl a small Craftsman and a Skill recip. The recip gets used more than the other 2 combined for felling limbs and such. I have cut many 6-8" logs with no problem.

Tyler Howell
01-09-2007, 8:50 AM
Good for your Jason,
Go for it.
With many small projects by the time it takes to get power tools set up, I'm done with my neander tools.
That being said.
"I'm not giving up my Stihl:D

Jason Christenson
01-09-2007, 9:42 AM
This message has been deleted by, me, the poster. Shortly after posting it I found the answer myself, leaving the question up here would only serve to prove that I am an idiot. I prefer to hide that for as long as I can!

Christopher K. Hartley
01-09-2007, 10:09 AM
ANDY!
this is getting out of hand...:eek:
Hurry and get back to us!:D :D

Jason Christenson
01-09-2007, 10:15 AM
ANDY!
this is getting out of hand...:eek:
Hurry and get back to us!:D :D

??????????

Gary DeWitt
01-09-2007, 10:55 AM
You didn't mention if you have a bandsaw. If your intended blank is under 12" and you have a riser block on a bandsaw, you can do some of your cutting there.
Here's a link to a picture of a sled to give you an idea:
http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker/articles/200008/main/index.html
Here's another for crosscut:
http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65/squaring_log_ends.jpg
Both these links, and many more, may be found on google under keywords - bandsaw log sled.
Bandsaws are great for cutting out your blank into a cylinder before turning, saving much turning time. If I had to make a choice between buying a bandsaw and chainsaw, I'd buy the bandsaw first.
I have crosscut and split logs as well. All that said, I'm in the market for a chainsaw now!

Paul Engle
01-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Ok ok the neanderthal forum is on the right two doors down......:D , If Jason wants to do it by hand say " GOOD NITE GEORGE" what were you thinking???Any saw will cut anything .... but will you beable to move when you get done? You might consider gathering your logs and renting a small chain saw and use the antique for fun when you not in a hurry and are feeling especally burly....I used these as a young idiot in North Idaho doing right of way, stream clearance and thinning for forage area in the Panhandle and is not , repeat NOT first or second choice of tools to use for wood, logs , boards, stuff ...well maybe stuff....I have cut 100's of cords of fire wood with two man and single cross cut , make sure to have some sort of lub , turpintine or water to sprinkle the saw blade/log as it will drag in a hurry , we did it in 3's, two men sawiing , one with the lube and changing the log / stacking , then rotate every cord. Good luck and remember to remember what it is like so's you can brag to the grandkids some day...:D