PDA

View Full Version : Wood gloat and ?

Jerry Ingraham
01-08-2007, 5:33 PM
A longtime friend and knifemaker gave me this manzanita burl (or is it a root?). It is about the size of a basketball. I have no idea where to start with this piece of wood. If you veterans had this in front of you, what would you do? I know that this is a vague question but I'll take any input and try to make a decision. My primary objective is to turn a couple nice bowls from it. The rest will go to pens or some bottle stoppers. TIA for your help.

Christopher Hunter
01-08-2007, 6:41 PM
well I haven't turned any burl yet but my thought would be to cut it length-wise down the middle and see what's in there,,, then do a natural edge and a normal edge bowl from it and the normal edge bowl when rounded would produce a few nice pen blanks ....
but I may not have the right idea, here, so I'm eager to hear what others would do as well.....

--Chris

John Hart
01-08-2007, 6:51 PM
Oh man! I'd just leave it on the tablesaw and stare at it for a couple months...afraid to ruin it. Two things pop into my mind though...One killer Hollowform and two killer natural edge bowls.

Joe Melton
01-08-2007, 7:30 PM
Some burls grow on roots, and I think this is one of them. I tried to make pen blanks from one once, and there were so many voids and cracks, it was not worthwhile. I think it is these imperfections that attract bowl turners, though.
Joe

Greg Savage
01-08-2007, 8:27 PM
Manzanita is one of my all time favorite things to turn! It is very hard and full of surprises! Being a root ball, it is very common to cut into voids full of sand. Don't be surprised if you hit a small rock or 2.....Keep your sharpening system on standby.