PDA

View Full Version : Spalted ash?

TYLER WOOD
01-08-2007, 1:15 PM
I went to our local lathe club this weekend. They have a raffle and I won 3 times:D !!

I got a pocketwatch made out of lacewood, and 2 pieces of spalted ash. they measure about 4"x2 5/8" one is about 24" long and the other is about 48" long. Any idea what to do with dry ash? Will it turn ok? Is it as hard as dry red oak? (see earlier post for story)

Dario Octaviano
01-08-2007, 2:20 PM
Congrats!

I don't think ash is as hard as red oak....I believe it is harder :D

Kidding aside, I think they are very comparable. The wood being spalted could make it a lot softer though.

Tyler Howell
01-08-2007, 2:28 PM
That's a gloat Tyler:mad: !
Let's see som pictures:mad: :rolleyes: :D
Congrats, I still want to see pictures;)

Mark Pruitt
01-08-2007, 2:35 PM
Hmm....4" x 2 5/8" sounds like "small bowl" turning material to me! I'd cut a few 4" pieces off at the bandsaw and have fun. But, I would also cut out some blanks with square cross sections and turn a few end grain HFs.

It's easy spending someone else's wood!:D

TYLER WOOD
01-08-2007, 2:39 PM
Well unfortunately I can not turn bowls. The lathe I ave is totally inadequate for it. Overspeed and to light, also have no chuck. Is there any way to turn a bowl without a chuck? Home made chuck or some other gear not so expensive. I am on a tight budget for about 6 months until I get my latest son paid off. Medical bills come before hobbies unfortunately.

So the ash is easier to turn than oak? And softer?

Jim Becker
01-08-2007, 2:59 PM
Tyler, glue block on a small faceplate is every bit as functional for turning bowls as a chuck, although it's certainly not as convenient. But your speed issue is of greater concern...keep 'em really small if you don't have a "slow" speed option.

TYLER WOOD
01-08-2007, 3:03 PM
980 RPM IS THE SLOWEST!!! I wasn't sure at this speed if bowls were even an option on this thing. would 4"-5" circumfrence 3" tall be ok?

I hope to upgrade drastically in the late summer early wall! Until then, spindle work more than likely.