PDA

View Full Version : Loose tenon question

Jeff Monson
01-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Building a dressor project and it requires quite a few loose tennon joints, just wondering what most of you use to cut them, I really dont want to spend a day building a jig so I'm looking for some input.

Jim Becker
01-08-2007, 12:02 PM
I would suspect that most folks cut the mortises for lose tenon joinery with a plunge router. This does require at least an edge guide, but jigging is also a good practice, depending on the particular situation. Tenon stock can be made using normal woodworking tools, such as the table saw, jointer, planer and router table.

Jesse Thornton
01-08-2007, 12:30 PM
I spent about half a day building a router jig, but it is now one of my favorites. It makes the rest of the process extremely simple and straighforward. Unfortunately, I'm presently having troubles uploading pictures from my digital camera to my computer, but it is a three way mortise and tenon jig that also excels at just making mortises for loose tenons. I got the idea from Yeung Chan's excellent book "Classic Joints with Power Tools" (Taunton I think).
I know that's not the response you're looking for, but it's the best non commercial solution I've come across so far.
Let me know if you want me to explain it in more detail.

Al Willits
01-08-2007, 1:55 PM
You ever get the camera figured out, I'd really appreciate pictures, tia.
Al

Mike Cutler
01-08-2007, 2:41 PM
Jeff.
You'll be ahead of the game if you take a day or so to build an accurate and repeatable router jig. You'll either spend time building the jig, or tuning the mortises.

Check out the bookstore for any of the router books by Pat Warner, Bill Hylton, or Carol Reed. All have excellent jigs and building plans.

I haven't seen the book by Yeung Chan that Jesse referred too. I'm sure it's excellent.

I know this isn't the answer you wanted but.... I'll upload a pic of my "low tech" mortise jig tonite when I get home.